Support:

Pay as you go services

Ask a question:
Rank 5: Regular Poster
andym38

Replacing PAYG SIM card

I recently upgraded an old phone to a new PAYG handset, and as I was already on Vodafone, the assistant in the shop simply put my existing SIM card into the new phone so I could keep my number.

However, as my SIM is quite old, I've had a few problems with the new phone when accessing services via a 3G network (I've read in other posts that older SIMs are unable to handle 3G). I'm therefore looking to replace my SIM.

My new handset did come with a SIM card in it, which I still have in the box so it would be brand new. How easy is it to transfer my existing number on to another SIM? Also, is there anything I'd need to do before the details can be transferred? I don't think there's anything stored on the SIM, except text messages - all my contacts are on the phone memory.

Message 1 of 6 (3,580 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
mari1970

Re: Replacing PAYG SIM card

hey, if you give customer services a call with both your old and new number they will be able to do the transfer for you as long as both numbers are registered in your name, it should only take a few minutes for that to be done.. i have had the same sim for several years and have no problems accessing any of the services, so it might be a good idea to  get them to check the 3G coverage in your area also..

Message 2 of 6 (3,575 Views)
andym38

Thanks for your reply.

However, the old SIM was never activated so the number would not be in my name. It was taken out of the phone when I bought it in the shop, but I just kept it in the box. And I'm not sure if I would be able to find out what the number was any more - don't SIMs get deactivated if they are not used for a period of six months?

Also, there is no 3G coverage where I live, but I have had problems with the phone when I've been in a 3G area, which is the reason I want to replace my old SIM (which I've had for over eight years!) for a newer one.

Please let me know if I can still transfer my number with Customer Services, or if I have to visit a shop.

Message 3 of 6 (3,547 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
mari1970

Hi, the sim should still be ok if no chargeable call was made to activate it, just pop it into the phone and dial *#100# to get the number.. If needs be you can always get a new SIM, either from the website or instore anyway..

You can call customer care and register it and also request the transfer at the same time, should only take a few minutes for this to be done..

Hopefully this should sort out problems when you are in an area of 3G coverage too..

good luck, hope this has helped you out!

Message 4 of 6 (3,544 Views)
Rank 47: Master I
AnnS

[ Edited ]

I am a little confused with your post.  You mention that you have never activated or used your old SIM which has been kept in the box.  If this is the case, which SIM have you been using with your phone ?

You are correct, if the SIM has not been used for six months, it will have been disconnected and the number will have been recycled and reissued.

You can get a new PAYG SIM free from the website and from a Vodafone store which will have a different number.

Ann
Message 5 of 6 (3,535 Views)
andym38

Hi AnnS

Thanks for your reply.

Just to clarify, the SIM I've been using in the phone is my old one (i.e. the one I had in my old handset, and which is about eight years old). The SIM I kept in the box is the one that came with the new phone, but as you have confirmed, that will have now been deactivated.

So, if I get a new SIM from Vodafone, will I just need to activate that when I receive it and transfer my existing number on to it by calling Customer Services?

Message 6 of 6 (3,496 Views)