Support:

Pay as you go services

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
Onlyasurfer

Texting From The Uk To Europe

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me, I've looked through the forum here and the main Vodafone site but I still need a little clarification on an issue.

I'm going away next month to Italy, Greece and Turkey and need to find about about texting abroad FROM the UK for my girlfriend. I'm on Orange pay monthly and am aware of the costs etc from texting from abroad to the UK but I'm unaware of how much it will cost her on her Vodafone pay monthly Blackberry Bold to text me. Will there be a charge for her in addition to the usual monthly bill? And if so would be cost of sending a text differ from Italy and Greece (Europe Zone 1 on the Orange Plan) and Turkey (Europe Zone 2). I've seen some stuff on other forums about there being a cost but it was dated circa 2005. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ollie
Message 1 of 11 (8,330 Views)
Rank 47: Master I
AnnS

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me, I've looked through the forum here and the main Vodafone site but I still need a little clarification on an issue.

I'm going away next month to Italy, Greece and Turkey and need to find about about texting abroad FROM the UK for my girlfriend. I'm on Orange pay monthly and am aware of the costs etc from texting from abroad to the UK but I'm unaware of how much it will cost her on her Vodafone pay monthly Blackberry Bold to text me. Will there be a charge for her in addition to the usual monthly bill? And if so would be cost of sending a text differ from Italy and Greece (Europe Zone 1 on the Orange Plan) and Turkey (Europe Zone 2). I've seen some stuff on other forums about there being a cost but it was dated circa 2005. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ollie

Providing your girlfriend is texting or calling a UK mobile number, there will no no extra charge for her and any calls or texts will come out of her inclusive allowance.

The person receiving the call will need to pay a roaming connection charge. Receiving a text is free.

Vodafone have dropped their roaming charges for Passport countries until the end of August. Turkey is not a Passport country.
Ann
Message 2 of 11 (8,330 Views)
Onlyasurfer

Thanks for your quick reply AnnS. Yeah, the number is a UK mobile number so thankfully it sounds like there will be no additional cost for her.

I'm assuming the roaming connection charge applies to calls only and not texts?

Have you got a link you could show me regarding no additional costs for texts to abroad so i could see it myself. Not that I don't believe you of course, it's just better to be safe than sorry and her rack up a hugee bill for the month.

Kind regards

Ollie
Message 3 of 11 (8,330 Views)
Rank 47: Master I
AnnS

Thanks for your quick reply AnnS. Yeah, the number is a UK mobile number so thankfully it sounds like there will be no additional cost for her.

I'm assuming the roaming connection charge applies to calls only and not texts?

Have you got a link you could show me regarding no additional costs for texts to abroad so i could see it myself. Not that I don't believe you of course, it's just better to be safe than sorry and her rack up a hugee bill for the month.

Kind regards

Ollie

This will confirm that texts are free to receive

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?act=...;f=19&id=44

If you got a PAYT SIM, had Passport enabled, then with a Freedom Pack, you could avoid that connection charge if she called you while you were in Italy and Greece next month.

Worth a thought.
Ann
Message 4 of 11 (8,330 Views)
Onlyasurfer

Brilliant. I'll look into the Freedom Pack, it sounds like a good option. Thanks for your help :)

Ollie
Message 5 of 11 (8,330 Views)
Tech Team
Jenny

Hi Ollie,

A warm welcome to the eForum! As you can see we’ve got a great online community here! :D

The information provided by Ann is spot on here so just let us know if you have any further queries! :)

As you’re new to the forum and clearly an online user, I want to take the opportunity to tell you about the fantastic things you can do through my account, such as managing your price plan or adding or removing bars. I recommend you take 5 minutes to take a look at all of the things you can do online without having to contact the call centre, saving you lots of time! :)

All the best,

Jenny
eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 6 of 11 (8,330 Views)
Onlyasurfer

Thanks Jenny_Vodafone. But ok, I'm still a little confused. AnnS said the texts come out of the inclusive allowance, but does this apply when the contract is for unlimited texts, as on the page detailing information about unlimited texts (below) it mentions they apply to all texts to UK phones within the UK, and that all else is charged at standard rate.

http://help.vodafone.co.uk/system/selfserv...xts%20give%20me?

http://help.vodafone.co.uk/system/selfserv...20Texts%20cover?

Any help appreciated,
Thanks.

Ollie
Message 7 of 11 (8,330 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Claire_V

Hi OnlyASurfer

No this is true :) Unlimited texts are for use when the text is going to another UK mobile number, so when your girlfriend sends texts to you, it doesnt matter where in the world you are. It will come out of her unlimited texts price plan ( fair usage of up to 3000)

The texts would be free for you to receive worldwide also.

All other txt messaging charges are 24p for internaional sms, premium rate sms can be anything from 12p upwards, texts to 118 services etc.

I trust this clarifies the issue for you.

Claire

eforum Team
Want to give me some feedback? Yes
Message 8 of 11 (8,330 Views)
wrathchild

Re: Texting From The Uk To Europe

Hi,

Can anyone advise me plese? 

How much would it cost for me to call and text to a freind in Germany from the UK?

I am currently on pay monthly £30 a month, my contract ends next month and I would like to go onto  sim only plan.

I have a freind In Germany but I think must be a German number, How much would it cost me to text her and for me to receive a text for example, on a sim only plan?

Message 9 of 11 (5,385 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
mari1970

[ Edited ]

Hi wrathchild,

If you are texting a German number then you will pay 24p to send a text, but will cost you nothing to receive..

If you texting your friend with a German number is going to be a regular thing, you can always add on an International Text pack onto your Pay Monthly plan, at a cost of £5 a month for 100 texts

Message 10 of 11 (5,383 Views)
Tech Team
Simon

Hi wrathchild

Thanks for your post. mari1970 is exactly right and you can find more information on call and text message charges here - Calling Abroad.

Thanks

Simon

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 11 of 11 (5,349 Views)