Support:

Pay as you go services

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
Essbee
Accepted Solution

Top-up credit which doesn't expire?

Hi! I've just bought a new phone and decided to choose Vodafone as my network this time. As I am a fairly light user I wanted PAYG, because I felt that a pay-monthly deal might be wasted on me as I probably wouldn’t use what I was paying for.

The phone came with a £10 Freedom Freebie SIM.  I have just discovered that I’m not actually putting credit into my phone at all; I’m buying a package which will expire after 30 days, leaving nothing. What I would like to know is: is there a PAYG option where I can just top up my phone with credit and it will be there until I use it? I assumed that was the way it worked, but I’ve come from another network so please excuse my ignorance!

I notice that there are other free SIMs available, such as the Text & Web for example, which offers a bundle of 'free standard texts and web access to use in the UK for 30 days - on top of your credit'. I interpret that to mean that the freebies expire after 30 days but the credit remains until used. Or am I wrong?

I don’t want to find myself in a situation where I have to top up by £10 every month just to be able to use my phone. That would rather defeat the point of having PAYG. For less than that I could have had a pay-monthly contract with a far greater allowance. So, is it possible just to top up with no strings attached?

My reason for choosing Vodafone is for its better coverage in some of the more remote corners of the country that I occasionally visit. All other things being equal, that reason would determine my choice of Vodafone as my network. However, if I am going to be tied into a monthly payment, I would head straight back to my ‘top up £10, get £30 free credit’ deal, where the free credit expires after a month, but the top-up credit is there until it's used. Presumably it would be possible just to swap the SIM from my old phone into my new one?

Message 1 of 5 (4,258 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
mari1970

Re: Top-up credit which doesn't expire?

Hi Essbee,

Unless you have opted in to buy a recurring Freedom Freebee, once your pack expires then any top up you put on will just be normal calling credit..

You are correct about the Text and Web Freebee, that is exactly how it works, however if you did want to receive the allowance every month it means you would need to top up every month

Message 2 of 5 (4,206 Views)
Essbee

[ Edited ]

Ah, thanks for making that clear! :smileyhappy: I couldn't track down that information on the website.

How would I check whether I have a recurring FF or not? I'm not aware of having opted in so I probably haven't.

Also, when I top up, how do I know whether I am buying another FF or just adding credit?

Thank you! That's been very helpful.

Message 3 of 5 (4,176 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
mari1970

To set up a recurring Freedom Freebee you would have needed to call 4354 and picked the option in order to set it up. If you have not done that then i would say you are not opted in for the service..

Normally when you top up it is automatically applied just as normal calling credit, so unless you choose to purchase another Freebee it will stay as calling credit..

I have provided a link that will give you some more info on the Freebees, hope this helps

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/personal/price-plans/pay-as-you-go/vodafone-freebees/index.htm

Message 4 of 5 (4,159 Views)
Essbee

Brilliant, thanks! I'll get the hang of it eventually!

Message 5 of 5 (4,048 Views)