Support:

Pay as you go services

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
overthemoon3

Vodafone SIM Card - How Do I Activate A SIM From Abroad?

Hi,

I have got a sim card and I would to find out what my phone number is but I am not able to activate my sim card because I am not in the uk!

So...how to activate the sim from abroad and how am I able to find out the phone number?

Thanks so much!
Message 1 of 7 (9,521 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Martin

Hi overthemoon3

Welcome the eForum :D it is always good to see new faces on here.

The only way to activate a UK SIM I when you are in the UK as it need to connect to the local network.

To see the number that the SIM uses you need to dial *#100# but the SIM card needs to be activated first.

Martin
eForum Team
Message 2 of 7 (9,521 Views)
Rank 47: Master I
AnnS

Although there are is a way around to activate your PAYG SIM overseas by purchasing a top up locally, calling 2345 and then making a chargeable call, you would most probably find roaming is barred by default.

I attach the link for ways of top up overseas, but it may not be possible to enable roaming whilst you are not in the UK.

Roaming Information

The number to call for Customer Service from overseas is +44 7836 191 919.

You may be able to find out your number by dialling *#100# but if you are unable to active your SIM and enable roaming, you will be unable to make or receive any calls.

If you have an unlocked phone, another option would be to purchase a local SIM.
Ann
Message 3 of 7 (9,521 Views)
AlexTrinh

Re: Vodafone SIM Card - How Do I Activate A SIM From Abroad?

Hi There,

I know this was a while ago but i want to purchase a Uk Pay As You Go Simcard and activate it as a Internaional Simcard and go straight onto roaming.  I want to activate it in France.  Is this possible?

Message 4 of 7 (5,781 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
AndyD

Hi AlexTrinh,

I've noticed you've posted your query on a separate thread here. So that information isn't duplicated, any response we give will be on the linked thread.

Thanks

Andy

Message 5 of 7 (5,774 Views)
ses93x

Hi, I bought the new blackberry curve 9320 on wednesday 28th nov! The man in the shop said they had activated my sim, its now saturday and it still hasnt been done! ive been on the phone to you's twice and you's are saying its done, then you's said the systems down so you can do it. I wanna put in a formal complaint about this and i will be leaving vodafone, the service i recevied is terrible! I cant use my phone, so basically it has been a complete waste of money. I want something doing about this now!

Message 6 of 7 (3,705 Views)
Rank 47: Master I
AnnS

ses93x wrote:

Hi, I bought the new blackberry curve 9320 on wednesday 28th nov! The man in the shop said they had activated my sim, its now saturday and it still hasnt been done! ive been on the phone to you's twice and you's are saying its done, then you's said the systems down so you can do it. I wanna put in a formal complaint about this and i will be leaving vodafone, the service i recevied is terrible! I cant use my phone, so basically it has been a complete waste of money. I want something doing about this now!

If the assistant in the shop activated your SIM by dialling 17298 or texted to 9770, the SIM should be activated and working, and you should only now need to add some credit to be able to make calls and send texts.

There is a section on the website for getting started on Pay as You Go which will give you all the information but the page is under maintenance today.

Further help and information can be found on the PAYG section of the forum.

Ann
Message 7 of 7 (3,699 Views)