Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Contacts showing as private numbers

debbie1963
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help with my query.  Recently when my son tries to call me either from his mobile or from the house phone, the screen just shows private number calling.  I have tried deleting both numbers and  readding them to my contacts but this didn't solve the problem.  It doesn't happen with any of my other contacts and it started about a month ago. As I don't normally answer anything unknown, it's making life a bit difficult not knowing if my son is trying to contact me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

Can you try your Sim Card in another phone as a process of elimination. 

This could be also something to do with his phone so again perhaps him trying another phone with his SIM card could be a good start too. 

Just to ask which model of phone are you currently using. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for your reply.  I have just changed from a Samsung s5, where I first noticed the problem, to an LG K10.  Did think it was the phone so was surprised to see the problem had followed to the new phone.

AnnS

Hi @debbie1963

Your son has got hide number activated on his call settings.  He needs to change this to network default or show number. There could also be a setting on the home phone.

As soon as he has changed the setting, his number will show on your phone and when he calls other contacts.

Thanks for your reply.  I will check my sons phone tomorrow.  I have checked the house phone but can find no setting that would explain the problem.  Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@debbie1963 Do you have a BT landline? They made some changes to their 1571 service and added 1572, perhaps a month back, and I wonder if number-withheld has accidentally been applied to your home number. The only info I can find is here, but it might be worth looking at their Calling Features info, in case you can spot anything relevant.

Can you try calling a different mobile number from your home phone, eg your son's number, to see what is displayed when the call rings? Or ringing a friend who has caller display on their landline? It might be worth calling the BT 0800 number mentioned in my link, to find out what they have set up on your number.