cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Do I have to top up credit when buying PAYG phone and am already vodafone customer

handy86
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have been vodafone customer for years now, and I am on a sim only plan. I need to buy a new phone and was thinking about getting a pay as you go phone from vodafone. But it seems that I have to buy a payg sim with it and top it up. Is there a way to avoid it, and buy only the phone without having to pay extra money for a payg credit, which I am not going to use, as I am already sim only customer? I don' t want to buy phone on contract, and it would be easier to buy a phone from vodafone, because unlocked phones are usually more expensive.

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @handy86

Currently it is required to buy top up credit Yes. 

I would personally visit a store if local and convenient although the top up would still be a requirement. 

Alternatives could be Amazon or high street stores such as CEX who buy and sell phones. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @handy86

The reason for having to buy a top up is the networks subsidise the cost of the phone.  The top up requirement seems to be general amongst mobile phone sellers, including third party sellers.

If you do not want the SIM and credit, you can always make a charitable donation.

The other alternative is to buy SIM free.  If you are going to purchase a phone this way, you need to make sure the phone is to UK specifications.  Online sites such as Amazon very often sell phones which are to EU specifations which can cause problems.

BandOfBrothers

Another option @handy8 is Carphone Warehouse who generally sell phones unlocked and marry up the sim. Buy the phone on the cheapest option and use your sim. Check all T&C such as Cooling off periods. 

Phones that lockout to the first sim are typically the iPhones. 

Take your SIM card with you.

However you decide to go ~ good luck. 

Current Phone  >

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

My understanding is that the requirement is now to purchase a Big Value Bundle, rather than simply purchase a top-up, which rules out previous options such as passing the top-up on to someone else, or using JustTextGiving to make a charitable donation.

I personally would be willing to accept a £10 surcharge on the phone for not purchasing a service to go with it, but while it is presented as a compulsory BVB I simply won't be buying my next phone from Vodafone. As long as you take care over the route of supply, there are alternatives.

BandOfBrothers

Yes @Annie_N that's my understanding too.

This was a similar thread.

Buying-PAYG-phone-without-Bundle.

Current Phone  >

I regret using vodafone myself, but they're the only provider in my area with a  signal of some description although even that has gotten worse last few weeks. I'd go with someone else if you get the chance, vodafone totally suck.

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

You mentions having signal issues, have you entered your postcode into the Network Status Checker to see if there are any issues or maintenance going on in your area?

If nothing is showing there the next thing to do is go through the steps in the Network Troubleshooting Guide and post the template back here so that the eForum Team have the necessary information to be able to look into your issue.

PWIAC