cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How Do I Cancel A Mobile Broadband Account?

Brian29
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

On 6th May I asked to close ONE of my Vodafone accounts.  This relates to an obsolete mobile internet dongle for a laptop which has not been used for years.  Every month a statement is sent to an old address showing a CREDIT amount.  I was told that the account would be closed, that I would receive a credit in my bank account and the statements would stop.  But the statements are still being sent every month showing a credit (and I have not received the money in my bank account).  Can anyone help with getting this sorted?  Apart from anything else, for security reasons,  I do not want bills in my name sent to an address that I no longer control.

15 REPLIES 15

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

With a Payg the account should just suspend after non use after 180 days. Credit is usually not returnable. 

Id suggest to use Live chat or call customer service on 191 to get them to cancel the account. 

If you use live chat then request a copy of the chat transcript before ending the session. Screen shot it too. 

Landline Tel :03333040191 

When using the Vodafone Landline number key in your Vodafone mobile number after prompted OR if issues exist where the IVR System will not recognise the mobile number then you can opt to ignore the initial prompts to type in the mobile number, and then on approx the 4th request it should then change to ask to input 1 for Payg or 2 for Contract Customers. 

General enquiries: Monday to Sunday 8am – 9pm

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @Brian29

If there is a credit owing and you still have an account with Vodafone, the credit owing from the closed account should be against your account.

The best way to get this sorted is by using live chat, they should be able to access your account and get this adjusted to stop the monthly statements.

If you continue to have issues, please come back to the forum and one of the Team will investigate further.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

@Brian29

I wonder if you could have had one of the old "non-expiring" PAYG mobile broadband accounts? The balance ran down 1p at a time, if you were a light enough user!

These were withdrawn some considerable time back (2013?), and there was a prolonged campaign for the credit balances to be refunded. Eventually, in late 2014, it was agreed that they could be refunded - I wonder if you started being sent statements of account after that, as it has never been standard for PAYG customers to receive statements.

The announcement has since been archived, although it just asked affected customers to contact Vodafone, but I've managed to locate this thread, which relates. From my notes, I obtained my refund in January 2015, but my account continued to exist until mid-2016, despite the normal PAYG pattern being 180 days to suspension, and a further 90 days to disconnection with loss of credit. So I rather suspect that these accounts may have been kept active artificially, to enable refunds to be claimed. However, popping up 2 years further down the line may be taxing the memory of CS staff!

Referring to your account as "one of the old non-expiring credit mobile broadband dongles" - assuming it is one? - might enable CS or Live Chat to locate the right set of instructions!

That sounds like what I have.  I got it "free" with a laptop in 2006.  I seem to remember having to set up a direct debit so that I would automatically pay for any usage once I had used up the initial credit that came with the dongle. But I was a very light user so never worked through the initial credit.  From Day 1 I have been receiving the monthly statements showing how much credit I had left.

I will give it a go with CS or Live Chat tomorrow.

Thanks.

BandOfBrothers

I hope all goes ok and this is resolved for you from speaking with Customer Services. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Annie_N

Ah, I hadn't thought of the laptop possibility! Of course, there were some good deals with bigger bits of kit, but mine just came with a very basic dongle. By the time those accounts were withdrawn, I'd lost track of exactly what I had paid for the dongle, and it wasn't until after I got the refund that it struck me that I must have got "double credit" as part of the deal, and that I probably got back more than I paid originally :smileyembarrassed:

Thanks to all who responded with advice.  I tried web chat first as I thought it may be less tortuous - wrong!  After 45 minutes chatting to five different people I was told I would need to phone!

My first phone attempt failed as I couldn't seem to get through to a human being but on second attempt I got through to someone who immediately understood my problem and put me throught to someone who said she would arrange the credit and stop the monthly statements.  Mind you, I was told this in May, but she did sound quite convincing this time so fingers crossed.

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Brian29 Sorry to hear about your trouble.

If you could kindly keep us updated with how you get on. 

We'll be here to help if you need us.

Well, disappointingly, nothing seems to have happened since my phone conversation on 22nd November.  Despite taking my bank account details over the phone again, I have checked my bank account today and still have not received the promised refund of outstanding credit.  So if you can please help in getting this resolved Rahim .....

Please let me know what details you need me to PM.