Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

PAG wont work correctly while abroad

Foxeh
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I bought Vodafone SIM card in past year for use it abroad (i hate our local carriers).
But since i activate my sim card in Russia, i'm unable to receive all calls to my number (calling users got "Network destination is busy"). For fix that issue i open support chat and said about that. Support agent did some things and after that incomming SMS stops working too.

I checked my sim in few phones and when i go to phone -> options -> call barring, i see enabled some barring options like "Incomming texts and calls while in roaming", "Outgoing int'l roaming (texts only)" 

What i need to do about that? How i can create support case to technical team online (because calling to Vodafone UK from Russia is very expensive and calls dropos every 5 minutes).

Maybe is some tricks for FULL reactivate my SIM include disable all barring, update system settings, reinitialise my number and services like clean setup again? 

6 REPLIES 6

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

To be sure that a Vodafone UK SIM will work correctly outside the UK, you usually need to activate the SIM while in the UK, and then remove any roaming bars, preferably also while still connected to the UK network.

Sometimes these things work OK despite being outside the UK, but more often you'll have problems. Also, if it is now more than 270 days since the SIM was activated, but you haven't been able to make any chargeble use in the meantime, the SIM may have been deactivated.

Do you have a friend in the UK who could get a SIM for you, activate it in the UK, get any roaming bars removed, and then send it to you?

I can try to ask my friend but its so long time for get new replaced sim. Or need to get fully new contract because my number is got errors when activated in Russia?

Today ( 8:03 and 8:05 AM GMT+3 ) i got 2 SMS from VodafoneUK about i'm blocked "texts from being sent" and "data used while abroad" and i check call barring setting via phone and it shows like all possible barring deactivated. When i check MyVodafone site, i see enabled those barrings. When i remove it on MyVodafone, i got enabled it on the phone O_o so now i leave it enabled on the MyVodafone, because its now really show disabled on the phone menu, but still for incomming calls "Line is busy" and incoming SMS works for only from Vodafone and VodafoneUK and no sms from other phones 😞

Becca_P
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Foxeh

As @Annie_N has mentioned, the SIM would need to be activated in the UK to make sure you can roam abroad.

If you get a friend or family member to activate a new Vodafone SIM for you in the UK, they can then ship this out to you.

I talking with my friend from phone company and they make some things and told that my number doesn't have global routing like my phone number doesn't assign to any company.

Same if i try to send sms via public gateways, it says:

Phone country: UK

Is Portabled: Unknown

Message recepient company: Unknown

But same system able to send sms to my friends on Vodafone:

Phone country: UK

Is Portabled: No

Message recepient company: VodafoneUK

and strange, that i cannot manage call divert options via "MyVodafone" portal, i got Error 2k2 when trying to setup divert to voicemail when phone is unavailable

Annie_N

@Foxeh

Because you tried to activate and set up your Vodafone UK SIM while you were outside the UK, it has activated incorrectly. There seem to be some major errors occurring, and I don't think you will be able to resolve them from your home country.

As @Becca_P has said, you will need to get someone in the UK to get a new SIM for you, activate it in the UK, make sure that roaming is enabled, and then send the SIM to you.