Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

PAYG mobile broadband SIM

junejan20
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My husband is soon to travel from New Zealand to the UK, if he had a Vodafone mobile WiFi Pocket purchased in NZ, would be able to purchase PAYG mobile broadband SIM in the UK to use in this device?

7 REPLIES 7

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @junejan20

Unfortunately, your Husband will probably find the device locked to Vodafone NZ.  He would need to ask Vodafone NZ to provide the unlock before his visit to the UK.  Also the device would need to have the settings configured for Vodafone UK.

Apparently not locked, I spoke to someone at a local Vodafone shop who said it can be used overseas, my husband isn't particularly tech savvy so just need to know if he can buy the  mobile broadband Sim on its own. :Smiling:

BandOfBrothers

That's great news then if the device is open to be allowed to use any networks sim card in it. 

You may just need to update the apn settings so it works on the network in the UK. 

As I mentioned the Vodafone store will be able to guide on the best account / tariff to use. It should be possible to get a payg sim card and activate it in store and choose the best tariff which has enough data allowance included to meet his needs. He could then try the sim card in the device before leaving to definitely make sure it accepts the sim card. 

There is some info in this link but it's sim only which won't be available to someone that's not been in the UK long. Vodafone sim-only-data-bundles.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Looks like more research may be needed, a retail shop told me it is Network locked, so may not be an option.. I know there are other devices similar but twice the price, may not be worth it for just under a month. He is English by birth, only been back once since he was a toddler.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I do appreciate the input & the prompting to ask more questions so I can figure out the best option. :Smiling:

AnnS

Hi @junejan20

When you Husband arrives in the UK and has the PAYG SIM, the data settings for Vodafone UK can be found on the link below.  

How do I set up my tablet or data dongle for internet access?

If he has any problems installing the settings, the store or Customer Services will be able to help.  He can find how to contact Vodafone for any enquiries from the link below.

Contact Us

BandOfBrothers

Hello @junejan20

I hope he enjoys the Uk and all the country has to offer.  :Smiling:

As nowadays devices supplied by networks are invariably locked out to them and set to work on that networks bands and frequencies and Apn settings it may not work. He should speak to his current Network to ask.

Even though they both share the 'Vodafone' name they are not linked. 

These devices are pretty cheap either brand new or second hand so if all else fails should be good to go either way. 

A Vodafone Highstreet Store will be able to guide him on the necessary type of SIM card and data plan to use. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.