Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Payg data to activate

Biz88
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

So just joined Vodafone, bought a sim and a freebie bundle from a voda shop. The guy in the shop said it take 30 mins to activate, however I still have not got a data connection and this was about 6 hours ago now.  I can make calls and text just can’t use the internet and is stuck on 3G.  Does anyone know generally how long it should take for the sim to fully activate so I can use the internet? Thanks 

4 REPLIES 4

MobileNinja
13: Advanced Member

If you can make calls and send texts then the SIM is fully activated.

Check the Coverage and Network Status Checker to see if you have 3G/4G coverage and if there are any network faults.

If you have been using your phone on another network before Vodafone, send a text with the word WEB to 40127 to get the Vodafone internet settings sent to your phone.

Hope this helps :Smiling:

If I've helped you, please click Thanks

Ok great I had a mess around with the apn settings and text web as you suggested and I now have data connection on 3G. But no 4g and I’m in a strong 4g area by the coverage map. My partner is with o2 and she gets 4g, so I should be getting 4g surely as they share the same mast? 

MobileNinja
13: Advanced Member

Great news that you have a data connection :Smiling:

Restarting your phone will refresh your network so that might kick it in for you. Just double check your mobile data settings are also set to 4G on your phone.

As for mast sharing, Vodafone and O2 don't share signal, they site share and there is a difference. Both networks have cells on the majority of cell sites, but they have their own networks with their own frequencies, so the signal strength isn't guaranteed to be the same.

If I've helped you, please click Thanks

Thanks again for your reply. Called voda and managed to speak to someone. Apparently the option for 4g is not enabled on my account and I have to wait till tomorrow when my number has ported over for them to enable it for me. No big deal getting a lot better signal than my old provider on 3G, so hopefully all will be sorted tomorrow fingers crossed!!