Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Problems getting an unlock code

Dicky_J
2: Seeker

Hi - I hope you can help with this? 

On 02/03/17 I purchased a new Huawei Y3 from Argos.  It came with a PAYG Vodafone sim which I needed to activate with a £10 airtime bundle. My regular provider is 3 Mobile and I wish to unlock the handset for use on 3's service.  Reading Vodafone's T's & C's I have done the following -

I used the phone regularly for more than the required 30 days.  I filled in the online form with the correct information.  I received a rejection email stating they could find no match for the EMEI no. and to re-fill in the form.  I have repeated this step twice more with the same result. I contacted Customer Services.  Call 1 was not handled well; the operator sent me a different EMEI number to that generated by my handset which was not accepted by the online form (1 digit too many).  A requested return call was not forthcoming.  Call 2 was a little better; the operator (in Egypt) found the mobile number, could see that it had been activated and used correctly and advised I re-fill in the form.  I did so.  To her credit, she did ring me back to check if my request was successful.  Sadly not, as I received another rejection email.  I went to my local Vodafone store who informed me that they could do nothing as unlocking was now online/Customer Services - based only and gave me the CS phone number!

This is extremely frustrating as Vodafone's own website states how easy it is to unlock a handset.  I have all the relevant documentation to prove that I am the legal (and only) owner of the handset and can forward copies of such if required.  I have complied with the T's & C's regarding usage.  Where do I go from here?

Hopefully, thanks in advance

DJ

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi

In regards to regular use if the Vodafone sim card in the phone did that involve making calls and sending texts, using data ?

Customer services can supply a direct email address for for nuc resolutions so you can contact them direct. 

Failing that the Vodafone Team here will catch up with your thread and I'm sure they will help you with this issue. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for the swift reply!

I made many calls and sent many texts but don't think I used much data up. I did receive a text from Vodafone telling me how much I'd saved by using the bundle!  Over 100 quid apparently..........!

One other thing I noticed - when I made my latest call (of many!) to a different CS no. I was prompted to key in my mobile number but the automated voice said 'we have had a problem recognising this number'......??

The handset is an older version that has probably been sitting around a long time in an Argos warehouse - hence the cheap price, likewise the sim, but it registered to the network no problem and (as stated in my opening post) was found by the CS operator.  She told me the exact time and date it was activated.

I bought the phone as it is the same model as my wife's but hers was from 3 or CW IIRC and came already unlocked.  Unfortunately, they had sold out when I decided to change hence the trip to Argos.  I specifically checked that I could unlock the phone within a reasonable time before I made the purchase otherwise I would have looked elsewhere.  I bought new, as purchasing second-hand is fraught with problems - little did I know!

DJ

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Dicky_J

Thanks for your posts. 

It's not clear if you've registered the Pay as you go account to your name, this may be causing the request to be rejected. 

We'll need to look into this, to see what's happening. Please follow the steps that I've sent to you in a private message, to get in touch. 

Thanks, 

yoghurtbrain
4: Newbie

Read my thread titled...MY QUEST FOR AN UNLOCK CODE FOR MY VODAFONE SMART PLATINUM 7......... 

It is the same dross they have fed me for nearly 3 months.

14 requests for an unlock code and the first two requests I was told the imei number was not correct. Followed by they did not know the model and make followed by the phone is unlocked put a different sim in for the last 11 requests.

I have contacted the pay as you go team many timed, the tech team once and the c.e.o's dept of complaint numerous times.

I am currently awaiting the director of complaints dept whilst they obtain an unlock code from the manufacturer. This has been done by them 13 previous times and it has taken since my complaint of the 24 March 2017 to get to this stage.

Take my advise and just sell the phone and save yourself all the stress and wasted time Vodafone will bestow on you.

Dicky_J

After a week of to-ing and fro-ing I did obtain an unlock code from the NUC team (I really won't bore you with the full story - suffice to say some of the advice was really ridiculous!) which didn't work when entered.  In desperation, I went to my local 3 store (my usual provider and right next door to Vodaphone as it happens!) with all the relevant bits and pieces for them to have a go.  Just one attempt by 3 and the phone unlocked!  I swear the guy did exactly the same as I did...........?? 

Anyway, all is good at last so thanks to all who viewed this topic and replied with advice.

I'm off now - never to return.......................... (hopefully)

Dicky J

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@yoghurtbrain – I can see that Chaz replied to your other post.

Please reply with the reference number and we’ll be able to help further.

@Dicky_J – I’m sorry to hear it took so long, but I’m pleased this has been sorted now.