Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unable to get UNC whilst outside the UK

pastyeater
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Can someone confirm if a UK Vodafone locked Apple 5S that I bought from the UK (I live in Holland) can be unlocked  if never used in the UK.  I have purchased a UK PAYG voucher and used it for a few calls within Holland (over 30 days ago)  When I try the online unlock process I get message that 'the IMEI is not recognised on your device'.

Do I need to take the 5S to the UK, make a few calls and then apply again for a UNC?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @pastyeater

Unless you are in a position to use the phone in the UK on the local network  for a 30 day period to associated the IMEI to the PAYG number, you will be unable to get the phone unlocked.

As soon as this has been done, you will be able to complete the form as PAYG to enable Vodafone to get the phone unlocked through Apple.

Further info below.

How do I unlock my Vodafone device if I’m not a Vodafone customer?

BandOfBrothers

No it has to have been used in the UK. 

Apple wouldn't help either I'm afraid. 

A person can try a standalone shop to unlock but typically they cannot due to the a chip on them. 

Vodafone will typically send you an email confirming the unlock have been requested once the criteria has been met. They then contact Apple to request the actual Unlock itself.  

The iPhone is not typically unlocked at this stage. 

It can then take Apple another 20'ish days approximately to complete the actual unlock. 

Pop in an active non Vodafone sim card in this timeframe periodically and hook up to iTunes to complete the unlocking. To note > From the iPhone 5 onwards it's not always necessary to hook up to iTunes to complete the unlocking. An iPhone is not unlocked by an actual code you key in. You should see some form of pop up message confirming it's unlocked if hooked up to iTunes. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Just to understand what you have done here.

You bought a UK VF sim card and have been using it in the Netherlands (roaming on VF NL). Have you been using this over a period of 30 days because they require this to register your IMEI to your SIM. 

If you put the sim in, made a couple of calls then stopped. This may not be enough to resolve.