Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Defaulted Account

SiobhanCorbett3
1: Seeker

Hi,

Looking for some advise. In 2012 I closed my Vodafone account by paying off my final balance. When I phoned up Vodafone I specifically asked if the settlement bill included my last payment to which the answer was yes. I then cancelled my direct debit (I now realise this was a mistake, however I had been advised to do so). I was then shocked to receive a letter saying I owed vodafone money for my final bill. I called them up and one of the advisors told me once again that my settlement fee included my final bill and I did not owe them any money. However vodafone continued to send me notices after this and eventually it got to a debt collector. Exasperated I paid the fee and put it behind me.

Now however I have the "defaulted account" on my credit score. This is causing huge problems for me now getting a mortgage. I am getting married next year and hoping to start a life with my partner and I just can NOT get a mortgage because this deault it is causing me endless amount of stress. I have contacted Experian to fight the case to which I got this response;

I have reviewed the customer’s account and I can confirm the late payments are in relation to the invoices for July 2012 through to October 2012 therefore the late payments are recorded correctly. We did issue a number of collection letters one of which was a notice of default advising the consequences of non-payment. Due to no response or payment the account was referred to a debt collection agency. The default was recorded onto the customer’s credit file on 5th of November 2012 therefore the default was recorded correctly and this will remain on the customer’s credit file for 6 years from this date. I can confirm the file has been set to satisfy from 18th February 2013, as this was when the last amendment was made on the account. Therefore we believe the information to be recorded correctly as we obliged to show a true reflection of the customer’s payment history with Vodafone

Although in summation the facts are "correct" it over looks a huge part that Vodafone played in this. I believe I recieved very poor customer service and advice from them and now I am constantly paying for it.

I know there is not likely anything that can be done but if anyone has any experience with this I would like to hear about it?

Thanks

Siobhan

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi

Totally understand how a default can affect a person. 

Let the Vodafone Team here catch up with your thread and they'll help if they can. 

Some further information in > Default-on-your-Credit-File and -How-to-add-a-Notice-of-Correction-of-Correction/m-p/2491965/highlig...

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@SiobhanCorbett3 - I’m disappointed to hear what’s happened.

I’ve sent you a private message with instructions on how to get in touch, so we can look into this.

Hi, 

I am praying someone on here can help me or give me advice. 

I have recently been refused a mortgage or any form of credit so checked my credit score and have a default from Vodafone on my account,  due to a sim only deal I took out and mistakenly did not make payment for and built up £41 in debt. As soon as I realised I built this debt up I called up and paid but it was to late as the default was already there. 

I already have a mobile phone contact with Vodafone which I pay monthly via direct debit and assumed my sim only deal would be under the same account and the direct debit to be taken monthly with my other mobile phone tariff but apparently they were different accounts.

II only used this sim card for a short period of time then stopped using it (this is why I did not realise it had been cut off)  and never got around to cancelling it and I did not see this as an issue as I thought I was still paying for it. I went back to my mums house to visit family and had one letter from vodafone stating that one of my bills had not been paid (I am not sure why the sim only contract had my old address on it, I thought my other phone contract would be linked with this account and have the same postal address which is my up to date address)

When I saw this I called up and discovered that no payments had been taken in a while which is when I made the £41 payment and thought that was the end of it. A couple of months later I checked my credit score due to being refused any credit and saw I had a default issued against me before I made the £41 payment. 

Surely Vodafone have to issue me with a letter informing me they will be issues a default against me? I have contacted them and they just said we are not going to remove it as it's your fault for having the wrong address on your account. I agree I should have checked but as  I already was paying vodafone monthly via direct debit for my phone contracts I thought this included my sim only payments too. 

This is really affecting my life and do not know what to do.

Any help will be appreciated. 

Thanks, Alex

Hi @alexfitzgerald1

If a default is warranted which in your case it does sound as so then it would remain on file for the 6 years. Even if it was a genuine mistake. 

Vodafone would typically try all forms of communication to acquire Payment but do not have to pre warn a Customer that they intend or have applied a default. 

The best thing is to ensure any outstanding amount is paid and.check your credit file to ensure the default changes status to Settled which looks better on a Credit file. 

One of the Social Media Team here should be able to further officially clarify once they've caught up with your post. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I cannot get a mortage for me and my son with this setteled default on my account for 6 years, I am still a Vodophone customer and have been since 2013 so dont understand why this sim card was taken out on a new account and why the payments didnt come out together. 

I really need to get this issue sorted as it is affecting my life. 

Thanks, 

Alex

Hi, 

I am praying someone on here can help me or give me advice. 

I have recently been refused a mortgage or any form of credit so checked my credit score and have a default from Vodafone on my account,  due to a sim only deal I took out and mistakenly did not make payment for and built up £41 in debt. As soon as I realised I built this debt up I called up and paid but it was to late as the default was already there. 

I already have a mobile phone contact with Vodafone which I pay monthly via direct debit and assumed my sim only deal would be under the same account and the direct debit to be taken monthly with my other mobile phone tariff but apparently they were different accounts.

II only used this sim card for a short period of time then stopped using it (this is why I did not realise it had been cut off)  and never got around to cancelling it and I did not see this as an issue as I thought I was still paying for it. I went back to my mums house to visit family and had one letter from vodafone stating that one of my bills had not been paid (I am not sure why the sim only contract had my old address on it, I thought my other phone contract would be linked with this account and have the same postal address which is my up to date address)

When I saw this I called up and discovered that no payments had been taken in a while which is when I made the £41 payment and thought that was the end of it. A couple of months later I checked my credit score due to being refused any credit and saw I had a default issued against me before I made the £41 payment. 

Surely Vodafone have to issue me with a letter informing me they will be issues a default against me? I have contacted them and they just said we are not going to remove it as it's your fault for having the wrong address on your account. I agree I should have checked but as  I already was paying vodafone monthly via direct debit for my phone contracts I thought this included my sim only payments too. 

This is really affecting my life and do not know what to do.

Any help will be appreciated. 

Thanks, Alex

@alexfitzgerald1 - I’m sorry to hear what’s happened.
We’ll need to look into everything further, so I’ve sent you a private message with instructions on how to get in touch.

Hi Jenny, 

I have followed these steps and hope you can help me

Thanks, Alex

Thanks @alexfitzgerald1

We’ve received your email (ref: #16457794) and will be in touch as soon as we can.