Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Defaulted Vodafone account on my credit file

marekk
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have recently applied for a mortgage and to my surprise the application was declined. Reason - credit check fail. The thing is that I have never missed a payment on anything and so my financial adviser told me to get my credit report from experian and find out what is causing the issue. What I discovered is that Vodafone recorded a default on my account that I believed has been closed in November 2012 (the default is for huge £14). The contract has run out at that time and so I contacted Vodafone and told them to close the account and that I'll be moving my number to O2 and so I did. As far as I was concerned my Vodafone account was settled. Vodafone never contacted my about the £14. If they did I would have paid it. Even if the payment was to be one month late it would not damage my credit profile. Is it even legal to default my account without some sort of communication to let me know? 

Straight after I got my credit report I called Vodafone and paid the £14 over the phone. (the account will soon show as settled but the default will stay) I asked them if I can get the default removed from my credit file and they couldn't tell me so they asked me to wait and that they will be in touch within 5 days. Yeah right... I called them again after 5 days and asked them to remove the default. I was told that it cannot be done because I did not pay my bill for 10 months. I was furious after the phone call. How can I pay for a bill that I dont know even existed?

I would really appriciate some help with this matter. I know that some people have been successful with getting the default removed.

459 REPLIES 459

I have been told by Vodafone that because of a purely technical issue that was entire due to an issue on their side my monthly bill payments  did not go through for 2 consecutive months despite my bank account details were correct. As I kept calling them to ensure they could process the payment I have been told not to worry about the credit score as the vodafone credit file team was aware of the technical issue with the payments, which affected also many other customers. And I have been reassured - in all of the 10 calls I made to Vodafone - it would never show as a late payment from my side is it was 100% their technical mistake.

I checked my credit score 2 months later - January 2016 - and it shows that there has been a late payment. 

Is Vodafone willing to fix a mistake that has such heavy consequences? I believe one thing is bad customer service, but a very different issue is preventing people from being able to get a mortgage.

Totally agree very bad customer service I have sent a payment also 2 weeks ago I keep getting transferred department to department I have decided to pop into a store see if they can sort this out but the customer service on the phone is shambolic

I have recently have had my mortgage declined due Vodafone putting a default on my credit file...ok it was my mistake of not paying the bill I was unemployed at the time as well but I have paid the bill of on the 9th January of £436 pound but still shows on experiann I owe vodaphone this amount.i can't sleep this has taken over my life Stressed out...when I call customer services I get transferred from department to department it's so un professional how they communicate with customers...this problem I have as really affected me and my family 

Well what can I say I have been chasing Vodafone over 2 months now regarding this problem phoning them up then getting transferred department to department then I have poped in to my local vodaphone store to show proof of payment on 9th January 2016 which they have left notes on my account saying proof of payment seen..but still today on experiaan I check VODAFONE Multi Communications Default £436 10/01/2016 This account has been defaulted...VODAPHONE RUINS PEOPLES LIFES😰

I have contacted pay monthly pay as u go...still nothing I need the credit file support team to update this butt no department seems to want to help....for gods sake ok it was my fault for paying late but I have paid now let me live in peace....update my credit score.....VODAPHONE RUINS LIFES PEOPLE 

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi, you need to call 191 and ask for the collections team, Monday to Friday normal business hours.

However you say you were late paying so the default can only be marked as settled and will remain on your credit account for 6 years.

Mate I have contacted them all I do get is transferred to department to department it's so wrong if only I could report such bad service no1 helps me I have paid this off and still today it shows on experiaan outstanding balance I have contacted credit agency they go voda need to update to us but they not VODAPHONE RUINS PEOPLES LIFES 😰

63johnw

Hi, as said, phone 191 Monday to Friday, normal business hours, ask for collections team and they can mark it as settled but it will remain on your credit file.

You admit it was you who paid late, how is that vodafone ruining peoples lives? they have an obligation to report these things so other lenders can make a judgement on if a person is a safe risk to lend too.

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@Faiz786 The best that you will achieve is the entry will be marked as settled. The entry will remain on your credit file for six years from the date it was entered.

Entries can only be removed if the credit giver was a fault and made an incorrect entry on your file.

Your problem demonstrates why a Direct Debit payment mandate is the best way to pay. As @63johnw has indicated any company granting credit has a legal obligation to record the status of credit agrrements.

I have paid the outstanding balance of 436 pound on the 9th January 2016....it is still showing outstanding balance of 436 I have been chasing Vodafone up for over a month to update my credit file....the default I understand...today is 21st feb....I have popped into Vodafone store to show proof of payment I have rang up to be transferred from department to department ...VODAFONE DOES RUIN LIFES..