Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Defaulted Vodafone account on my credit file

marekk
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have recently applied for a mortgage and to my surprise the application was declined. Reason - credit check fail. The thing is that I have never missed a payment on anything and so my financial adviser told me to get my credit report from experian and find out what is causing the issue. What I discovered is that Vodafone recorded a default on my account that I believed has been closed in November 2012 (the default is for huge £14). The contract has run out at that time and so I contacted Vodafone and told them to close the account and that I'll be moving my number to O2 and so I did. As far as I was concerned my Vodafone account was settled. Vodafone never contacted my about the £14. If they did I would have paid it. Even if the payment was to be one month late it would not damage my credit profile. Is it even legal to default my account without some sort of communication to let me know? 

Straight after I got my credit report I called Vodafone and paid the £14 over the phone. (the account will soon show as settled but the default will stay) I asked them if I can get the default removed from my credit file and they couldn't tell me so they asked me to wait and that they will be in touch within 5 days. Yeah right... I called them again after 5 days and asked them to remove the default. I was told that it cannot be done because I did not pay my bill for 10 months. I was furious after the phone call. How can I pay for a bill that I dont know even existed?

I would really appriciate some help with this matter. I know that some people have been successful with getting the default removed.

459 REPLIES 459

The simple answer to your question is "Because they are not accountable to anyone except the Ombudsman."  I'm afraid I don't know what the long-winded answer is.

Hi @juliaave2016

I will send you information on this through PM.

Thanks,

Sarah 

Hi Sarah, thank you for your response.  I have responded to the pm.

Kind regards, 

Julia 

Hello @juliaave2016

How are you getting on with this situation? 

Sarah

juliaave2016
3: Seeker
Hi Sarah, other then the above, I have not heard from anyone.
Kind regards,
Julia

Let me know the reference number you've received after submitting our email form, @juliaave2016, and I can get this chased up for you. 

It'll look like this: [#14xxxxxx] and can be found in the subject of the auto-reply sent to your email address. 

Thanks, 

Sarah

juliaave2016
Thank you Sarah,
The reference number is WRT 135[#14507651]
Kind regards, Julia

You're welcome, @juliaave2016

I've checked your reference for you and can confirm that our dedicated team received your message on 24 October, at 19:27. 

I'm sorry that there's a bit of a delay with us getting in touch with you via email. We'll be in touch as quickly as possible. 

Thanks, 

Sarah

juliaave2016
Thank you for letting me know Sarah.
Julia

juliaave2016
Hi Sarah,
Is there any update on my query? I would like to take this further with Ombudsman to stop this happening to others in the future. Please can you check my call to VF complaints team dated 22 October, 12:17pm as I am still waiting for the email which I was promised within an hour.
Thank you,
Julia