Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Defaulted Vodafone account on my credit file

moudy31
3: Seeker

In 2011 i opened a vodafone account with my bank details for my sister. The account is in her name. I recently applied for a mortgage and have been rejected. I have looked at my credit score and i was shocked it shows a default vodafone which has now been settled. This is the only point that is stopping me getting an urgent mortgage. I have spoken to customer services to try and explain and sort out but they said that this account was in her name so therefore it should only affect her credit score. I explained that it was clearly affecting my credit score and mortgage application but they say that my name is not on their records, only hers. How is this affecting me then? how do i reslove this? any help much appreciated.

16 REPLIES 16

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

If you signed the contract wouldn't they have credit checked your details as your the account holder by signing up. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

moudy31
Thank you guys for your help. I know it's all very confusing and I am not completely sure what's gone on. Even more difficult that my sister is living far away.

How do I get in contact with the Vodafone forum team?

Thanks

BandOfBrothers

They read all posts. 

They'll respond to your thread here and if they can help engage via Private Message. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

@moudy31 I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

WhatRVodaPlayin
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Sorry If I'm stealing the thunder from someone elses case,

but i'm at a point of pure dispair with Vodafone and what appears to be a complete lack of customer service.

I'm in the same boat as many others, I have applied for a mortgage and have been laughed at becasue I have a default on my credit file that Vodafone seem to dish out willy-nilly.

The story goes like this.

I took out a contract in late 2013/early 2014 on an iPhone 5 on Vodafone from Fones4U for something like £33 a month. I had never paid £33 a month because my bill had normally tripled or even quadrupled with not a single Vodafone employee being able to tell me why.

Every month I used to ring Vodafone and ask why my bill is consistantly extortionate compared to my CONTRACT tarriff, and got nowhere with an explination. So after complaining in writing (which got completely ignored) I rang up and told them I wish to leave Vodafone as a provider and terminate my contract with an agreed payment of close to £500.

At the time I was an apprentice so money wasn't a luxury, I agreed with Vodafone that the account will be settled within 3 months (which I stayed true to) and Vodafone agreed to, I was also told a note would be made on my account on Vodafone's system that this was the case.

So I settled the account by the deadline myself and Vodafone agreed on and that was that other than a £1.30 bill I recieved the next month (no reason for it but Vodafone thought they'd ask for a little more this was clarified as unneccasary from another phone call and cleared)

That was IT I had never recieved a letter, except from a few bills saying I owed them £0.00 for about 3 or 4 months after the account was settled.

Now i'm going to segway forward to the present day:

I had found out from my mortgage broker after being told I'm very unlikely to become a homeowner this side of 2020 due to Vodafone publishing a default on my credit file. So I investigated: I signed up to Experian which initialy did not show this, after a phone call and a 24hr update period with Experian there it was, and what a file of false information it is.

According to my report I defaulted on my account in May 2014 prior to this I had 3 missed payment recorded (i've accepted this in terms of the agreement I had with Vodafone) but get this on my first months default and every single month after it has under the default icon on experian a big ol green tick with an account balance of £0 saying PAYMENTS UP TO DATE

Well if they're up to date, why the hell do I have a default on my file?

Legitimate reasons to default an account: The relationship between the consumer and the lender has broken down to an extent that the lender has suspended the account because the person has not paid, or made any satisfactory arrangements to pay what they owe.

I had both paid the account by the agreed time and made satisfactory arrangements to do so prior to this, but still get branded as unworthy for credit. It's a joke.

I contacted Vodafone about 6 weeks ago, from my account being so long ago apparently without my old Mobile number or the number of the Account.

Being 3 years old I have no record of this anywhere and I have searched everything, but why should have kept it ? It was dealt with as far as I was aware. But without that info surely my full name, date of birth, address on the account and e-mail address should pull up something, no?

My experince with calling Vodafone 6 weeks ago was atrocious with 2 people hangin up on me after telling me they couldnt find my details and coiuldn't help me any further. I spoke with a 3rd who came back with the same answer but she managed to pass the call onto a line manager before hanging up on me, and the line manager was also unable to find my details therefore told me to go to a store to see if they could aid me (which they could not and much to my expectation they said there was nothing they could do without a number or accont number) so It seems I have to live with it because Vodafone can't even find me let alone tell me why I have a default on my account...

WHAT DO I DO?

Sorry If I'm stealing the thunder from someone elses case,

but i'm at a point of pure dispair with Vodafone and what appears to be a complete lack of customer service.

I'm in the same boat as many others, I have applied for a mortgage and have been laughed at becasue I have a default on my credit file that Vodafone seem to dish out willy-nilly.

The story goes like this.

I took out a contract in late 2013/early 2014 on an iPhone 5 on Vodafone from Fones4U for something like £33 a month. I had never paid £33 a month because my bill had normally tripled or even quadrupled with not a single Vodafone employee being able to tell me why.

Every month I used to ring Vodafone and ask why my bill is consistantly extortionate compared to my CONTRACT tarriff, and got nowhere with an explination. So after complaining in writing (which got completely ignored) I rang up and told them I wish to leave Vodafone as a provider and terminate my contract with an agreed payment of close to £500.

At the time I was an apprentice so money wasn't a luxury, I agreed with Vodafone that the account will be settled within 3 months (which I stayed true to) and Vodafone agreed to, I was also told a note would be made on my account on Vodafone's system that this was the case.

So I settled the account by the deadline myself and Vodafone agreed on and that was that other than a £1.30 bill I recieved the next month (no reason for it but Vodafone thought they'd ask for a little more this was clarified as unneccasary from another phone call and cleared)

That was IT I had never recieved a letter, except from a few bills saying I owed them £0.00 for about 3/4 month after the account was settled.

Now i'm going to segway forward to the present day:

I had found out from my mortgage broker after being told I'm very unlikely to become a homeowner this side of 2020 due to Vodafone publishing a default on my credit file. So I investigated: I signed up to Experian which initialy did not show this, after a phone call and a 24hr update period with Experian there it was, and what a file of false information it is.

According to my report I defaulted on my account in May 2014 prior to this I had 3 missed payment recorded (i've accepted this in terms of the agreement I had with Vodafone) but get this on my first months default and every single month after it has under the default icon on experian a big ol green tick with an account balance of £0 saying PAYMENTS UP TO DATE

Well if they're up to date, why the hell do I have a default on my file?

Legitimate reasons to default an account: The relationship between the consumer and the lender has broken down to an extent that the lender has suspended the account because the person has not paid, or made any satisfactory arrangements to pay what they owe.

I had both paid the account by the agreed time and made satisfactory arrangements to do so prior to this, but still get branded as unworthy for credit. It's a joke.

I contacted Vodafone about 6 weeks ago, from my account being so long ago apparently without my old Mobile number or the number of the Account i'm stuck. Being around 3 years old I have no record of this anywhere and I have searched everything, but why should I have kept it ? It was dealt with as far as I was aware. But without that info surely my full name, date of birth, address on the account and e-mail address should pull up something, no?

My experince with calling Vodafone 6 weeks ago was atrocious with 2 people hangin up on me after telling me they couldnt find my details and coiuldn't help me any further. I spoke with a 3rd who came back with the same answer but she managed to pass the call onto a line manager before hanging up on me, and the line manager was also unable to find my details therefore told me to go to a store to see if they could aid me (with a lot of time already wasted I traveled to my nearest Voda store and much to my expectation they said there was nothing they could do without a number or accont number)

So It seems I have to live with this burden because Vodafone can't even find me let alone tell me why I have a default on my account...

WHAT DO I DO?

@WhatRVodaPlayin This isn't good to hear. 

So we can look into this for you, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

For anyone else with the same issue, try the steps listed here and if you’re still affected, contact customer service.