Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Defaulted Vodafone account on my credit file

marekk
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have recently applied for a mortgage and to my surprise the application was declined. Reason - credit check fail. The thing is that I have never missed a payment on anything and so my financial adviser told me to get my credit report from experian and find out what is causing the issue. What I discovered is that Vodafone recorded a default on my account that I believed has been closed in November 2012 (the default is for huge £14). The contract has run out at that time and so I contacted Vodafone and told them to close the account and that I'll be moving my number to O2 and so I did. As far as I was concerned my Vodafone account was settled. Vodafone never contacted my about the £14. If they did I would have paid it. Even if the payment was to be one month late it would not damage my credit profile. Is it even legal to default my account without some sort of communication to let me know? 

Straight after I got my credit report I called Vodafone and paid the £14 over the phone. (the account will soon show as settled but the default will stay) I asked them if I can get the default removed from my credit file and they couldn't tell me so they asked me to wait and that they will be in touch within 5 days. Yeah right... I called them again after 5 days and asked them to remove the default. I was told that it cannot be done because I did not pay my bill for 10 months. I was furious after the phone call. How can I pay for a bill that I dont know even existed?

I would really appriciate some help with this matter. I know that some people have been successful with getting the default removed.

459 REPLIES 459

hey!  

thanks - i did message on twitter 2 days ago and got no response so far? thanks 

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

I'm sorry for the delay @rachelowens, we've been a little busier than usual on the Social Media team recently. I can see that someones contacted you now 👍

Lancbespoke
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
I'm in the same situation! When applying for a mortgage earlier this month with my fiancée we were refused because of a £106 vf default on my file from when I was living in Australia in 2012. Before I left I contacted vf to cancel my contract as I only had one month left and to send me paperless bills. They did not do this and surprise surprise have deleted all the recorded messages from that time! When I returned from Australia there was no letters regarding a default on my file nor any bills regarding my vf contract. Fast forward to this week when I rang numerous vodafone employees that all told me different things: the fist was a guy called sharif from Cairo that told me pretty much straight away that the default WOULD definitely be removed after an investigation into my case, the second a guy called Wally said he would pass my case on to the quality assurance team and a third called tom who could nt even find my file then told me that my case was passed on to a debt collection agency (fredriksons) to which yet again I was not informed about and Wally couldn't even get a phone number for! This is happening to too many people and needs to be resolved now, Vodafone are ruining peoples lives with their approach to handing out defaults willi-nilli!!!

Hi Lancbespoke, 

We'll need some account details to look into this further for you. 

Take a look here for how to get in touch.

Thanks, 

Kay

Hi,

I really need someone to help me out here - I had a defaulted account with Vodafone, which I have settled and paid in full start of this month - It still shows as a default on my credit file - I really need to get it updated - as I'm applying for a mortgage and have been declined - my mortgage advisor has advised me to contact vodafone to get it updated ASAP..I have rung vodafone but they didn't do anything.. :Sad_face:

Please help...:(

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

@numanraja210399 wrote:

Hi,

I really need someone to help me out here - I had a defaulted account with Vodafone, which I have settled and paid in full start of this month - It still shows as a default on my credit file - I really need to get it updated - as I'm applying for a mortgage and have been declined - my mortgage advisor has advised me to contact vodafone to get it updated ASAP..I have rung vodafone but they didn't do anything.. :Sad_face:

Please help...:(

Hello numanraja210399

The only time a default can legally be removed would be when it was placed in error.  If this was a genuine default where you would have owed Vodafone money and missed payments, the default on your credit file will stand for the next 6 years after which time it will be removed.

Vodafone have a legal responsibility to report any missed or late payments on your credit file. If you have paid the amount owning in full, at least the default will be marked as settled which should be taken into account by your mortgage lender but unfortunately, the slightish blemish on your credit file can be frowned upon when trying to get credit.

That's what I want - I have settled the account so I want it to say SETTLED. 

Depending how long ago you defaulted, it can take a while before it is updated, as the process is usually once a month. 

The Forum team will be in touch soon and they will get the file updated. You will have to be patient about it as it is not going to a quick thing.

Hi numanraja210399,

So we can take a closer look at this, please contact the team here.

James

Hi 

please help me with some advices how to remove default from vodafone from my credit file the account is been cancelled one year ago and it is been settled