Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Defaulted Vodafone account on my credit file

marekk
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have recently applied for a mortgage and to my surprise the application was declined. Reason - credit check fail. The thing is that I have never missed a payment on anything and so my financial adviser told me to get my credit report from experian and find out what is causing the issue. What I discovered is that Vodafone recorded a default on my account that I believed has been closed in November 2012 (the default is for huge £14). The contract has run out at that time and so I contacted Vodafone and told them to close the account and that I'll be moving my number to O2 and so I did. As far as I was concerned my Vodafone account was settled. Vodafone never contacted my about the £14. If they did I would have paid it. Even if the payment was to be one month late it would not damage my credit profile. Is it even legal to default my account without some sort of communication to let me know? 

Straight after I got my credit report I called Vodafone and paid the £14 over the phone. (the account will soon show as settled but the default will stay) I asked them if I can get the default removed from my credit file and they couldn't tell me so they asked me to wait and that they will be in touch within 5 days. Yeah right... I called them again after 5 days and asked them to remove the default. I was told that it cannot be done because I did not pay my bill for 10 months. I was furious after the phone call. How can I pay for a bill that I dont know even existed?

I would really appriciate some help with this matter. I know that some people have been successful with getting the default removed.

459 REPLIES 459

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having an issue updating the default date on my credit file. I entered into a Trust Deed (IVA in England) in 2011 and my credit file has the defaulted account for Vodafone but the default date is incorrect it is just under 2 months after I entered the Trust Deed and I need this updated to match the rest of my creditors accounts. I wrote to Vodafone providing proof but they can't find my account I don't have my account number or mobile number (it was a mobile internet dongle account) I have the last 4 digits of the account number from my credit file but it doesn't show the rest. I even tried live chat and after an hour they were unable to find the details. I read on here somewhere that there is an archive of old accounts or something. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

Hi,

I'm having the same problem with a default, i followed your link to the team to help correct the issue but i don't know who to address it to.. could you point me in the right direction, please?

Many thanks.. Tony.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @fraggle101 We'll be happy to look into this for you and clear up any confusion regarding the mark on your credit file. As we'll need access to your account to do this, pop us a private message with your full name and Vodafone mobile/account number via Facebook at Vodafone UK, or on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK

markkb

I have a similar problem in that there are late payments on my credit file.  i notified VF that I wished to cancel my contract and some months later I received a letter saying my payments were late.  i contacted VF and they put my account 'in Query' a couple of months later the same late payment requests were sent to me.  as I was in the Army serving in Afghan I had difficulty contacting them so bit the bullet and settled up.  Now I've discovere that the late payments have shown up on my credit file and I'm worried that this is going to effect my ability to get a mortgage later on this year.  Can anyone advise me how to contact someone in VF who can assist to remove the entries on my credit file as I think it's totally unfair that such a mistake(not only on my part0 could have such a big impact.  Thanks Mark

Hi, I am now extremely worried that my mortgage application will be affected because of Vodaphone. Back in 2010 I cancelled my VF account by telephone and thought no more about it untill I received a letter telling me I was late with payments.  i quiered this and VF said they would look into it.  Several months later I received another letter saying I was late in paying my bills and as i was serving in Afghan at the time decided to bit e the bullet and pay the outstanding balance.  I have now discovered that these late payments have been recorded on my credit file (although settled in Mar 2011).  I think this is totally unfair ( and I'm not the only one) it is really affecting peoples lives.  How do I get these late payments off my credit file please.

I'm having the same problem -- see

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly-services/Settled-account-still-shows-as-Default-on-credit...

Yes it will affect your mortgage application -- in fact, I can no longer get ANY credit because Vodafone didn't rectify the default status to "settled" or "partially settled". This happened last year September 2013 - get on to Equifax because they're a great help -- but they've told me Vodafone HAS to remove it.

Many people report having this exact sa,e  issue reolved on here- someone should get back to you with instructions on how to e-mail them. However, I did this 2 days ago and haven't heard anything yet! Good luck!!

Thanks for the reply, I suppose luckily (to be seen) my late payment status is down as settled.  I'm just hoping I can get it sorted - the only other option is to place a note on my creditfile explaining the circumstances and hope that any future creditors will appreciate how unreasonable VF can be regarding certain situations.

Mark, do not leave it at that, they will NOT understand, get VF to correct it properly and remove it, in accordance with the T&C they have to follow.

You also need to get the previous "payments" history updated to at least one month prior to the issue, or it will still show you were a late or bad payer, when in fact you may not have been 🙂

@markkb wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I suppose luckily (to be seen) my late payment status is down as settled.  I'm just hoping I can get it sorted - the only other option is to place a note on my creditfile explaining the circumstances and hope that any future creditors will appreciate how unreasonable VF can be regarding certain situations.

Thanks, I've passed my issue onto them so hopefully it'll get sorted.  Really unfair that a mix up (on both sides) can affect future credit (mortgage)  so adversley for people who pay bills on time. I think VF have a communication issue here - they should inform people prior to any notification to credit agencies that they are about to do it - the seriousness of the planned entry on a credit should spur peope to act.  In my case I thought I'd agreed with VF that my contract was cancelled - as agreed by phone with there customer service rep and then the late payment entries appeared - really wrong.

hi all,

im in exact same position as you guys, i cant get any sense out any vodafone number i ring, this has been going on for two years now!! problem is i cant remember my number either. the socalled final bill amount is settled yet still cant get any help to remove it as im wanting a mortgage really soon. any help would be appreciated 

adam