You are here:

Pay monthly account specific discussion & device unlocking

Ask a question:
Community Champion (Retired)

Re: Defaulted Vodafone account on my credit file

@Swerve550 You are correct re the Notice of Correction but any lender searching your file must take the Notice into account when reaching a decsion.

It is better that anyone searching your file sees that there is a possible error by Vodafone on the file rather than just seeing a "default".

As you will have seen from other posts on these boards from people with the same problem whilst it should not be the case it can take a lot of time (and energy) to get the marker removed.

Message 161 of 313 (14,422 Views)
Rank 1: Guest

Hi, I had a similar problem after moving to o2 it was impossible to pay my bill as in effect my account had been removed from the system, 20+ emails sent to Vodafone + 20 odd calls without being able to pay. Finally I went to the shop and made a scene until they contacted some department in HQ that would take my payment. I now have a default on my account even though it is settled. You can't log in to my account on Vodafone website. Would be great if I could prove this to Vodafone and have this removed, at minimum settled
Message 162 of 313 (12,986 Views)

[ Edited ]

Helo team,

My vodofone account number is 690241824.
I got this broadband connection in sep2014 and I had signed this contract for 1 month and after one month i cancelled the direct debit on my own as i wasnt aware of the policy in UK that we need to call up customer service to cancel the contract. I moved to different address due to some issues on my old house and vodofone kept sending the outstanding bill letter to my old address which i didnt aware of. After 2 months i got call from collection department asking me to pay 260pounds and i got shocked to hear that. Finally i paid back all the outstanding amount in 3 installments. I thought that problem is resolved . But when my employer did credit check for me yesterday, i got shocked and score was very poor and the reason for bad score is vodofone defaulter thing is still reflecting in the report which i paid back 1 and half year back. I might loose job now as my credit score is very poor. Can you please remove my name and adrress from the credit file please. It is very vert vert urgent as my employer asked me to leave to india now as client is not taking me into the projects due to this issue. Please please resolve the issue ASAP.
Thanks inadvance!
Manjula
My contact number :[REMOVED BY MODERATOR]

[Moderator Note: Removed personal details, please refer to our Community Guidelines]

Message 163 of 313 (12,902 Views)
Solutions: 350

Hi. If the default was correct, and from what you have said it was as you didn't follow the correct procedure and did owe the money, then the default can only be marked as settled and will remain on your file for 6 years, it can't be removed.
Message 164 of 313 (12,898 Views)

PLEASE HELP!
I am looking to apply for a mortgage so I decided to sign up to experian to view my credit score. To my suprise I can see that I have a default from Vodafone back in 2013.
I had sorted my account out and somehow my direct debit was cancelled and I was not aware of this. The time that this happened I had moved house and was not receiving the letters that advised the payments had not gone through - this then went to collection direct uk who no longer exist and as soon as I realised I rang up and straight away payed the £204.21 in full on 12/06/2013.
Please can you kindly consider removing the default on my account as I have a new born baby and this is causing me a massive amount of stress as it is going to effect my mortgage due to a silly mistake?
Thanks
Message 165 of 313 (12,628 Views)

You will need to call the Credit File Support Team  either on 191 or from a landline on 03333 040 191. 

If you no longer have a Vodafone number ignore the prompts asking for your number and on the 3rd or 4th prompts you should be connected to a human being.

If there was a default or late payment then the entry on your credit file is accurate and will remain there for six years from the date is was entered although it will be marked as ‘settled’ once paid.

If the entry was an error by Vodafone then the Credit file Support Team  can ask the credit agency to remove it.

While you are sorting this out with Vodafone you can put a Notice of Correction of your credit file and this will be seen by anyone searching you credit history. In the Notice you can give your reasons as to why you are disputing the entry. Once you have submitted the notice your credit file will be updated usually within 28 days and the Notice will be shared with other credit agencies so all your credit records are updated.

1. What is a Notice of Correction?

A Notice of Correction is a short explanatory note (up to 200 words) you can add to an entry on your credit report to explain the background to that information for example, the reason for a late payment. Anyone searching your credit report in the future will see the Notice and they must take account of it when you apply for credit. (This might slow down your application)

1. How do I leave a Notice of Correction?

Simply send a letter to the Credit Reference Agency with the wording you would like to add to your file and your full name and address. Please remember to sign your letter.

Please remember that the Notice of Correction can't be more than 200 words long, defamatory, libellous, incorrect or frivolous. The note will remain on your Credit file until you ask for it to be removed.

Message 166 of 313 (12,608 Views)

My wife had an ongoing dispute with Vodaphone regarding cancellation of her iPad sim, for which Vodaphone kept collecting minor long after requests for it to be cancelled. The dispute was eventually settled and she paid monies owning in full and was promised by Vodaphone that no marker would be put on her credit score. We have just applied for a mortgage and the credit score has been blemished by a marker from Vodaphone contry to their promise not to. Are you able to help get this marker removed as we are expecting our first child and need to move but this error is hampering our ability to get the mortgage through and causing undue stress during pregnancy?
Message 167 of 313 (11,996 Views)

You will need to call the Credit File Support Team  either on 191 or from a landline on 03333 040 191. 

If you no longer have a Vodafone number ignore the prompts asking for your number and on the 3rd or 4th prompts you should be connected to a human being.

If there was a default or late payment then the entry on your credit file is accurate and will remain there for six years from the date is was entered although it will be marked as ‘settled’ once paid.

If the entry was an error by Vodafone then the Credit File Support Team  can ask the credit agency to remove it.

While you are sorting this out with Vodafone you can put a Notice of Correction of your credit file and this will be seen by anyone searching you credit history. In the Notice you can give your reasons as to why you are disputing the entry. Once you have submitted the notice your credit file will be updated usually within 28 days and the Notice will be shared with other credit agencies so all your credit records are updated.

1. What is a Notice of Correction?

A Notice of Correction is a short explanatory note (up to 200 words) you can add to an entry on your credit report to explain the background to that information for example, the reason for a late payment. Anyone searching your credit report in the future will see the Notice and they must take account of it when you apply for credit. (This might slow down your application)

1. How do I leave a Notice of Correction?

Simply send a letter to the Credit Reference Agency with the wording you would like to add to your file and your full name and address. Please remember to sign your letter.

Please remember that the Notice of Correction can't be more than 200 words long, defamatory, libellous, incorrect or frivolous. The note will remain on your Credit file until you ask for it to be removed.

Message 168 of 313 (11,994 Views)

Hi,

im having the exact same problem with vf and i am in shock that its the same amount as yourself and situation ie morgage family not notified of monies owing. 

how did you get this resolved in the end?

i didnt even pay the £14 the cleared it but are refusing to clear from my credit file....so many lies and contradictions.

thankyou for reply in advance.

gareth

Message 169 of 313 (11,102 Views)

[ Edited ]

PLEASE HELP !!!

I had a monthly contract with Vodafone in 2010, which I signed for my cousin, whom later went back to her home country for good. The contract was in my name but I wasn't aware of the default until I checked my credit report. There was a £63 default and I'd like to pay it off so that the account at least becomes settled. However, it has been very difficult to know whether my account is still with Vodafone or Zinc (the debt collection agency). I'm in the process to get a mortgage and I've been contacting Vodafone customer service team for the last 3 weeks without any success. Vodafone account number: [Removed] Can you please help?

Note from Moderator: Removed personal details, please refer to our Community Guidelines. 

Message 170 of 313 (11,063 Views)

Can't help you at all I paid my account in full and they won't do anything but I have half a chance, if I'm honest I don't think you have any sorry
Message 171 of 313 (11,059 Views)

@vanngo You need to call 191 and ask to speak to the Credit File Support Team who will be able to tell you if the default is still with Vodafone or sold to the collection company.

What are the collection company telling you?

Unfortunately  as you guarenteed the payments on the account and although you were unaware of the outstanding amount due the default marker will remain on your credit file for 6 years although it will show as "Settled" one paid.

Message 172 of 313 (11,056 Views)

Hello same has happened to me and this stinks after having vodafone contracts for years ,they have really screwed me over so much so that I'm looking at selling our lover house and renting because the black mark against my credit isn't letting me renew my mortgage .
I cancelled 2 lines payed the last bill and canncels my direct debit , one phone went off aa planned the other stayed on I rang 5 plus times to get it turned of it eventually went off (I did use it a few times and received calls I hold my hands up to that)
And that was that it went of ..
.until I applied for a store card and was refused to my surprise because I've looked after my credit history .joined experia vodafone red marks all over and my score was as bad as you could get I rang vodafone 10 plus times getting cut off getting bounced around switchboard I eventually found a helpful lady who said I owed £30 from using my handset (that should of been switched off like my other line).
It came out that I hadn't payed this money she claimed I was sent a email but scrolling back through there had been no email sent maybe in my spam account but that deletes it's self weekly . I payed what I owed .
But these black marks are on my credit history still I've rang and rang and explained that I was never aware about a final bill for them not switching phone on at correct point .
I eventually got through to a call center were the person was great and said she'd try to get these marks reversed as no bill had been sent to me. I very much doubt it'll happen I have no faith in vodafone customer services it is organised chaos
Message 173 of 313 (10,661 Views)

Re: Wrongful Default on Credit

Hello approx 14 month ago i cancelled 2 VF lines after my contract was up and cancelled standing order after last payment was taken out .
One handset went off as planned the other a couple of days after contacting vodafone several times that it should be off.
That was that ..or at least I thought
Had a credit check bounce when applying for store card so I joined experian. .red vodafone marks all over it .
Days getting cut of and bounced around switchboard I finally found someone helpful and she made me aware that I owed 29 pound for usage (which was made after planned termination date ).I RECEIVED NO BILL NO EMAIL THAT I'M AWARE OF SO I COULDN'T POSSIBLY KNOW I OWED THIS MONEY.
I huffed and puffed and payed it this line should of been cut off Now these default payment mark is against me for 6 month this is crazy that a bill I wasn't aware of is stopping me getting any credit or a mortgage which is ruining my life and my family relationship.
Through out this saga I've had 2 helpful people at overseas call centers may I add and had 30+ poor people employees who didn't want to listen .
Message 174 of 313 (10,722 Views)
Rank 50: Grand Master

johnmccaffery wrote:
I cancelled 2 lines payed the last bill and canncels my direct debit 

At the time you cancelled your direct debit, had you received a bill with a zero balance?  If not, it's never a good idea to cancel the direct debit as if there is any money outstanding, it can result in a default as you've found out. 

You need to call up and specifically ask to speak to the credit file support team.  They are the team responsible for dealing with defaults and should be able to help you.

Has my post helped you? If so please click the Thumbs Up button! Smiley Wink

Message 175 of 313 (10,613 Views)

I have a similar problem now with vodafone and i don't know how to contact them as if i am trying to be in touch with them on the phone, they just refusing to help me or they can't even help me saying they can no do anything for me. 

The story is a bit longer in my case as i made a phone contract with vodafone, then after a few months i changed my mind and i wanted to cancel my contract. i was in about to log-in and pay my outstanding balance and cancel the contract but i couldn't log-in as the system hasn't recognise my phone number my email, anything. like when they delete you from they're database. Than a few days later i received a letter that i have a big amount to pay around 500 pounds which is the cancelation fee,etc.etc.. obviously i couldn't pay it online as i couldn't log-in, the online supporter sayd they can't find my account, when i phoned them up it was the same situation they couldnt find my account.

After a few weeks i received a letter from a debt collection company, and i think when they passed this debt they canceled or closed my account on they're side thats why they couldnt find me, but i didn't had any communication from them, no leters, no email no phone calls to notify me about the payment, or bills. So how can i pay and close the account when they are not asking for the money? and they dont even have me on theyre system?

Anyways, i decided to pay this money to the debt collection company, they adviced me to pay in monthly rates of £64 pounds as it is easier for me, and they are happy with this solution, all i said is ok but i need monthly reminder and bills on my email to pay this in. I started paying it, i made 3 payments, than the company called COLLECT DIRECT UK (CD UK) collectd.co.uk stopped every communication with me, and i saw there is a defaulted account in my credit profile. I emailed them stragith away asking what's going on, and where can i pay, but no success and no reply. ( this was more than a year ago ), i didn't knew what to do but a few weeks later a company called LOWELL called me about the same debt collection query, on the first moment i thought it's a scam fake call and someone is trying to make a fraud on me, than i found out that the previous company is closed and LOWEL bought my profile, so i made all this payment in one instalment to clear my debt. But my default on my account is still there and they told me they can't do anything as it was marked by VODAFONE,

Now, more than a year later i was applying for a morgage and i was declined straight away because this default on my credit profile. so i decided to fight agains it as it wasnt fair and it wasnt my fault.

Please if anyone knows how to proceed, please let me know.

Thanks,

Message 176 of 313 (10,566 Views)

@nnszabolcs Call and ask to speak to the Credit File Support Team, they are the only people that can assist you.

The fact that this was a genuine debt will make it impossible to remove from your credit file unless Vodafone acknowledge it was an error in their system that caused you to be unable to pay the amount.

Also the fact that you did start to repay the amount but in instalments is another problem as a payment plan is enough to justify a default marker on your file.

Message 177 of 313 (10,564 Views)

Thanks for your reply,

Well at least i admit that it was my fault as well because i didn't act on the same moment once i received the first bill, however it was definitely they're fault and it is not fair to mark as a default, because this means you refused to pay which is not true. 

It was they're system error and no one managed to help me back in the time, even if i called them they couldn't found my account. so how could i pay then?

Message 178 of 313 (10,557 Views)
Topics: 4
Solutions: 10

Hello @nnszabolcs

I am going to send you a Private Message with further help on this. 

Louise

Message 179 of 313 (10,450 Views)

Why are you telling people to call and ask for the Credit Support team when there is no such thing? 

Message 180 of 313 (10,160 Views)
Got a question?

Get help and technical support on Vodafone's devices, products and services from our online community

If your question relates directly to your account or mobile number please contact our customer services team.

My Vodafone

Stay in control of your spending and manage your account online.

Register for My Vodafone