cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How long can I be in arrears before default is registered?

cjsnape
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi there,

Unfortunately I've had my hours slashed at work and have lost around £750.00 PCM income. I have 5 lines with Vodafone as to which I've JUST missed my latest bill payment for.

I won't go into the ins and outs of my account however I want to know what my options are with regards to the arrears. I have worked out to rectify my credit file from problems earlier on in life and want to avoid a default at all costs.

Has anybody had any success in agreeing repayment plans with Vodafone? I'm not so bothered if my services are disconnected, as long as I can agree an affordable repayment arrangement.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear of your situation.  :Sad_face:

I've had similar issues when I was made redundant. 

The best thing right now is to call Customer Services on 191 and speak with them. 

If you use Live Chat then ask for a copy of the transcript before ending the session. Screenshot it just in case the email fails to come through. 

Be aware if you ask and agree to a repayment plan then this would typically be reported on your Credit File. 

If you default then vodafone could report that which lasts 6 years. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @cjsnape

The most important thing here is to contact Vodafone tomorrow morning, let them know the situation and ask for an affordable payment plan.

Please be aware that any payment plan will only be an interim arrangement and last for 6 months, after which time you will still be liable for the full cost of the contracts.

Alternatives would be a change of contract ownership where all responsiblity for the contracts would be with a new owner.  You could also consider selling the phones, recoup what you could and put the proceeds towards paying off the contracts.

forumfairy
13: Advanced Member

Its also worth remember that if you are entering a payment plan with the lines suspended during that period, you can ask the advisor to remove any add on bundles during that time.  For example, if any of your lines currently have an extra 1gb per month added on as a bundle on top of your price plan it is worth removing during the payment plan period. During this time you will be paying line rental as well as a proportion of the balance currently owed so its best to try to make your line rental as low as possible.  You wouldn't normally be able to lower your actual price plan but even the removal of a few add ons can make a difference in cost, especially if you have five lines.

I hope you manage to work it out tomorrow. 🙂

Just to emphasis whst Lee has said - if you enter into a payment plan, although you probably won't be reported as being in default the fact that you are in a payment plan almost certainly WILL be reported on your credit file.

hrym

If you speak to customer servies on the phone, ask for written confirmation of what's been agreed.   If this isn't possible, write the details down and sign and date it.   If you use Live Chat, simply request a transcript at the end.  All this will be a valuable aide-memoire for yourself or a record if there's a dispute later.

If it all goes pear-shaped, Vodafone have a Credit File Support team who are not unhelpful and full records and compliance on your part will go a long way towards eliciting sympathy.

Best of luck in this and everything else.