cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Issues following porting a number from O2 to vodafone when sending an SMS (samsung)

vickigraham_5
3: Seeker

Last week i ported a number form O2 to vodafone on a Samsung A5 (previously the number was on an Iphone 5C). the number ported over fine for calls but we are finding when we send messages to certain other phones it goes to the recipient with the temporary number, this only seems to happen with a couple of people though. My daughter uses the phone in question but when she messages myself with a samsung S7 edge or her dad with a samsung S6 edge we get the temorary number, if she messages her sister with an iphone or nana with a samsung but on another network they both recieve a text with her ported number, no problems. Her number, mine and her dads are all on vodafone under one account... dont know if this is of any relevance. I did ring vodafone but they see no problems. They advised to just to save the other number as her too, all well and good but when you phone that temporary number its invalid. I can also reply to either the ported or temporay number by SMS and she will recieve it no problem. Does any one have any suggestions?? i have tried deleting her and re adding the contact already and rebooting all the phones, just seems strange its only on the phones all linked by a single account. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @vickigraham_5

That certainly is a strange one.  Usually when you port over a number you carry on using the phone with the previous network and your number transfers over usually within 24 hours.

If your Daughter is sending the texts using the conversation replies and not sending a fresh text with the ported number, that may be the reason.  As your number seems to be ported over correctly, ask your Daughter to send a text as new and see if it solves the issue.

If you have the ported number included on your online account, your Daughter should be able to instal the My Vodafone Application on the phone for the ported number.

As a last resort, a factory reset of the phone would clear any previous information enabling your Daughter to set up the phone with the ported number.

If problems persists, live chat will be able to find the reason for the messaging problems and get the issue solved.

Should there be continued issues please come back to the forum for further help.

View solution in original position

2 REPLIES 2

AnnS

Hi @vickigraham_5

That certainly is a strange one.  Usually when you port over a number you carry on using the phone with the previous network and your number transfers over usually within 24 hours.

If your Daughter is sending the texts using the conversation replies and not sending a fresh text with the ported number, that may be the reason.  As your number seems to be ported over correctly, ask your Daughter to send a text as new and see if it solves the issue.

If you have the ported number included on your online account, your Daughter should be able to instal the My Vodafone Application on the phone for the ported number.

As a last resort, a factory reset of the phone would clear any previous information enabling your Daughter to set up the phone with the ported number.

If problems persists, live chat will be able to find the reason for the messaging problems and get the issue solved.

Should there be continued issues please come back to the forum for further help.

vickigraham_5
I managed to sort it by restoring it to factory :Smiling: thank you AnnS for your help