Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Warranty period for Smart Ultra 6

Firstexact
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I've just gone into store to get my Smart Ultra 6 repaired (same issue as the last one I had, and countless people on here have had- to do with screen not working, ghost presses etc, seems to be a common problem with these).  

I had heard stories of in store staff telling customers that the warranty period was one year not two, despite vodafone policy appearing to be that itr was two, so I went in armed with a screenshot of this http://screencast.com/t/0urHnvih and various links like https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-manufacturers-OS/Smart-ultra-6-warranty/td-p/2491120 saying that it's 2 years.

Staff were not interested in any of that, and told me it was 1 year as the phone had been bought by me outright and they'd put it through as a PAYG (and then I'd put my contract SIM in).  However, the screenshot above refers to PAYG and still says it's 2 years.  I asked the staff member to book it in and see what happened, and the system said it was indeed out of warranty, and it would cost me £66 to repair.

So, three issues here- firstly Voda advertise a blanket 2 year warranty and when you go to claim they tell you it's 1.  Secondly, I've already had a brand new replacement once, which has now done the same thing less than a year later.  And thirdly, given the high number of returns with the same problem, I think I may have a case under the sale of goods act (these phones seem to have a design fault).

As usual, the shop didn't have any loan phones ("we've been telling head office for a year that we need more") and I need a phone for work, so I bought a P9 lite there and then, but I'm still very keen to get a response on this.

23 REPLIES 23

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

@hrym

I think the OP is on a pay monthly contract but the shop put the phone itself through as a payg unit. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

@BandOfBrothers   I wasn't totally sure, but I saw that reference, which is why I referred to the possibility of an outright purchase.   I assume that would go through as PAYG even if the device was subsequently used with a contract SIM but didn't form part of the contract.

Will
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Firstexact

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I've just sent you a private message with our contact details. Once you've completed the form, we'll be in touch as soon as possible to discuss this further with you.

BandOfBrothers

@Firstexact

Would you please update your thread on how this progresses. 

This I'm sure will then go onto help people who find themselves in a similar situation. 

Current Phone  >

I will do so.  Just had a DM from an escalation person, so I've filled out the form and will see what's what and come back with any udpates- cheers

BandOfBrothers

Thank you.  

:Smiling:

Current Phone  >

Onlne team can't help me, as I'm a business customer (a one man band business, with one line).  This despite the fact that when you go for help online as a business customer, they have a link to the same forum I've posted in https://www.screencast.com/t/pZ3JLtOVX2N

They've advised me to call the call centre, and given that I've already been waiting 2 months for someone to listen back to a call where a discount was promised that didn't appear on my bill, I'll not bother.  Sorry I couldn't update you on anything more positive, but it seems this is a total waste of time

BandOfBrothers

Sorry to read your update. 

I can only say what I would do if this was my situation and appreciate your viewpoint on this. :Sad_face:

Current Phone  >

What would you do?  I'm torn between wanting to sort it and just having better things to do with my life (though coming onto the forum has been the best thing about the whole experience- so many people happy to help here for nothing more than being good people!)

Amused that I've been directed to Live help- which as usual is showing this https://www.screencast.com/t/C3UQo8vKnC - obviously 11.45 on a weekday is a slow time for them, prob not even worth them turning it on /s

BandOfBrothers

I personally would continue to persevere with this. 

Current Phone  >