cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband Activation issues, lack of support!

TomOwen93
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi Guys,

Decided to switch to Vodafone broadband due to them being much cheaper than BT and could provide it as quick as BT.

BT had a date of 15th September, the guy in the Vodafone store near me said they can definitely do 14th September and he can even see that on the screen. He gives me a router to take home and I cancel with BT.

I receive NO confirmation or anything and it turns out the order couldnt be done in store. I phone cust. services and they say no problem, here is a new order and you will get a new router sent. Activation date: 06 SEPTEMBER 2016.

AGAIN, zero confirmation of my activation dates by email/text or even an account set-up. I do receive an email about the router order but that's it.

I then try livechat a couple of days later and they say activation date 29/08/2016 (err obviously not!) so I try to get through to home broadband team on phone. They say activation will be 29TH SEPTEMBER 2016 (!!)

and they are really really sorry. 

WHY has this been allowed to happen? and why does it take one month to reactivate an existing broadband line? The previous tenants had talk talk and as far as I can understand it wouldn't need an Openreach engineer visit.

Feeling very let down, not sure if I even have any options here :Sad_face: 

26 REPLIES 26

Retired-LouiseE
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I understand your distress at this @drg

Please call our team for the latest updates and details on this. 

Louise

Is disgusting!  Im going through the same thing right now.  My activation date was yesterday.  One email in the morning to confirm that im being connected.  Then nothing.  For the last 3 hours been trying to contact vodafone through phone and live chat.  On hold for more then an hour.  Call backs are disgusting.  As they hang up as soon as i pick up.  Live chat has been down since yesterday.  Would like to cancel.  As this is the worst experience of just a broadband setup ive ever come across.  Hope you get broadband soon.  Will probably go with plusnet.... When I can finally get through to vodafone.  

Hi @Khawars

Please speak to our Live Chat broadband team, they can look into this for you.

I hope the issue is resolved shortly.

Thanks,

Viki

@khawars, I can well accept it's probably Openreach's fault (such is their reputation and my view of them), although I can't rule out the possibility that Vodafone are simply terrible at getting it organized and blame them. Either way, I can testify that Vodafone is abysmal at keeping the customer up to date with what's going on. You'd think that would be a priority response to a new customer whom you'd had cut off from their previous broadband supplier without being in a position to replace that service! I also had unfulfilled promises to give me a call with an update the following day.

Having said that, ultimately I was back online after one week's delay and Vodafone increased my mobile data allowance so I could use my phone as a hotspot in the interim. All of that took hours of time on hold and sitting with a "live chat" agent. Oh, they also royally screwed up my Spotify subscription for my mobile contract. It is an absolute shambles in the backroom, but hang in there, keep giving them hell, and when it does finally get turned on I've found the performance of the service okay.

My top tip to anyone is to use the "live chat" rather than spend hours on hold on the phone only to be told they don't know anything and will update you the next day (and don't). The live chat agents are generally keen to keep you sweet and seem to have sufficient authority. And you can get on with some work during the day instead of wasting your time on the phone.

Reading the posts above, it sounds like many others have had the same problem as me.   The explanation I was given by the broadband team was that the BT open reach database of addresses and phone numbers was corrupted so that they could not be sure which number was being assigned. Sounds very odd, especially as the website still shows the broadband I wanted to be available at my address.   

Customer service was tiresome.    I spent loads of time on the phone or on the online chat.   Everyone was very nice but no one fixed my problem.  I got some different explanations along the way and I was never very sure that anyone really understood what the problem was.  In the end I gave up and cancelled the order.

I too am having similar problems as a new customer mainly with lack of help from customer services and problems with not being able to contact openreach direct.

My installation date was 26th October and fair enough the openreach engineer turned up and installed me a new line and box ready for connection. Unfortunately he then realised that the spare lines in the exterior junction were not connected to the main cables in the GPO manhole in the pavement outside and that he would have to arrange for another team to carry out the connection. He advised me that that should be done the very next day. Late Thursday I contacted Vodafone only to be advised that the work was booked with Openreach for Friday. Approx' 6pm Friday I contacted Vodafone to find out what had happened to engineer only to be advised that there was no update on the Openreach system and I would have to wait until Monday. Guess what?.. Monday I contacted Vodafone to be advised still no updates, so I asked the CS rep if they could contact Openreach, only to be advised they couldn't. I then asked to speak to either a supervisor or manager only to be told there was none available, but they could ask a supervisor to call me back within the next 48hours??!!??

Either I should be able to contact Openreach or at least someone at Vodafone should be able to pick up a phone and ask Openreach when they will be sorting the problem.

Needless to say I am not very happy and certainly not a good omen for the future with Vodafone.

Well after even more phone calls to Vodafone, I have found a massive flaw in their openreach systems. So far everyone in customer services has said they are unable to contact openreach if their is a problem i.e a delay to find out how long. So accordingly the customer just has to wait until openreach notify Vodafone that the problem is solved.

Must admit I find this totally unacceptable. We the customer cannot contact openreach. Vodafone can but don't have the sytems in place to do so!!.

Absolute shambles.

Hello @fneilson

I'm sorry to hear you have cancelled your order. If you need any further help please let us know. 

Hello @mach52

I'm sorry to hear about this experience, I completely understand your frustration.

I'm afraid only our telephone agents can look into broadband related queries. The best way to have this resolved is to recall our team on 08080 034 515 (free from all UK landlines and mobiles) and we will fully investigate this for you.

Lines are open between 8am and 11pm, seven days a week.

Louise

Hello Louise_E

Many thanks for the stock reply.

Sadly, so far I have contacted your broadband telephone agents on a daily basis, however that has so far been a waste of my time as Vodafone seem unable to contact openreach to sort problems, other than using their "system". Currently looking for alternatives suppliers instead whilst I await one of your case review agents to get back to me today.

Mac

Hi @mach52

I'm sorry to hear that you are looking to leave Vodafone. 

The best way forward is to continue speaking with our telephone team for further updates.

Louise