Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband Port Forwarding

DARYLDCRUZ8
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

Could I have some clear instructions as to how I can set up port forwarding on my vodafone connect router,I have got a static IP address.

regards

Daryl

48 REPLIES 48

@Vextah

No not sorted for myself, when I get the time will be ringing Vodafone to see about changing the router.

I hope that Vodafone will just let you swap the router for another.  Maybe that will work better.  Not sure how long you've had your router, but mine (received late November 2016) is supporting port forwarding perfectly, with far fewer problems than I used to have with port forwarding on Virgin Media.  

With Virgin Media I sometimes had to SSH to my Mac Mini on my home network and manually restart its VNC connection.  I have not needed to do that once in 2.5 months.  

@mgh128

Hi, I have just spoken to someone on the live chat and I was told that the port forwarding feature was removed. I upgraded to the current firmware (which is the same as yours) and somehow you seem to have gotten it working.

Is there anything else you changed apart from setting the ip's to static and setting the ports in Port mapping and port triggering?

@soulstrider

Hi,
At the moment, port forwarding is still working fine for me.
My Vodafone Connect router is currently running version 5.4.8.1.291.1.30.1.6 of the firmware and version 5.4.8.1.160.13.75 of the bootloader.  
The router shows Hardware type and version: Huawei 963168_HUAWEIVOX25

I set a static internal IP address (in the 192.168.1.x) range for the computer on my network that I'm trying to reach from outside.  I set up port mapping to that computer using the router's own web page at http://192.168.1.1 

Do check that the target computer on your network is not using non-standard ports - or at least that you know which ports it is listening on for the various services you want to connect to (SSH, VNC etc.)

Do make sure that when testing the port mapping, the client device you're connecting from (could be a laptop or phone) is *NOT* connected to your home broadband / wifi network.  It *MUST* be on a different network - e.g. a 3G/4G data connection or another wifi network.  If it is connected to your home WiFi network, it won't connect to your internal machine using the external IP address.  When connected to your home WiFi network, you can only connect to it via its internal address (192.168.1.x) and port mapping will appear not to work from inside your home WiFi network.

I have checked again just now and as of 14th March 2017 at 19:30 GMT, I am able to make a VNC connection to a Mac Mini on my home network (connected only via a WiFi connection to my Vodafone Connect router) when using a laptop connected to a 3G/4G data signal via a MiFi device with a PAYG data SIM from Three network.  To make that connection, I select vnc://90.252.x.y  where 90.252.x.y is the external IP address for my Vodafone Connect router, as shown under the 'Status & Support' tab.

Good luck - I hope the details I have provided above are helpful.

@mgh128

Thanks for the quick reply!

I did another quick check on my router and it appears my bootloader is a different version, 5.4.8.1.271.1.59 to be exact. Firmware, however is the same

If that updated bootloader has removed the port forwarding feature then that is ridiculous. 

After finishing my conversation with the Liva Chat staff, I was informed that the port forwarding feature has been removed but you can still change the settings in the router and also the Static NAT/DMZ function is something that they have never supported (although it is a function you can select).

Ill have another go with it and see if i can get it working, i tried to set up a VOIP server as a basic test before i try port 80, etc.

I don't think this would have any effect but splitting the SSID's (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) would not have any effect on the ability to port forward would it?

I've had the same problem as above, no matter how many times I tried I could not get port 80 to forward to my network hard drive like I have done with all my previous routers.

Vodafone technical couldn't help saying they weren't trained to help with port forwarding.

After a lot of experimenting I have found that if I setup public port 9090 to forward to local port 80 it works! Vodafone must have blocked most of the ports.

It would be nice if vodafone could issue a list of ports that are not blocked for port forwarding as I need another port for a second device.

Did anyone conrim if Vodaphone have blocked certain ports or find out what ports can be used?

Urgh, I'm in the same boat. DMZ and port forwarding have no affect on opening or closing ports. Live chat tried to walk me through it but I told them I have 17 years of IT career experience in this field and it was a router or Vodafone network problem. Pretty disgusting. If anyone found any open ports it would be great as I use plenty of services externally!

Just an extra bit of info I have done a port check on port 21 and it is still showing as closed.