Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Firmware update - issues with Philips Hue Bridge

nyfc
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

My router updated automatically to 5.4.8.1.291.1.30.1.6 at some point in the last couple of weeks and ever since then my Philips Hue Bridge has not been able to connect to the internet.  This means I can't control the lights remotely and cannot use the geolocation or link to IFTT.  

I've tried port forwarding directly to the bridge and turning off the firewall.  Neither have had any effect.  I have two Hue Bridges and neither connects any longer, both have a flashing third light on the bridge showing they are unable to connect to the internet.

Has anyone else experienced similar?

68 REPLIES 68

So I had a few minutes this morning and decided to try online chat support.  Was a waste of time.  First person told me I needed to hard reset router - that didn't make any difference other than requiring me to set up the router from scratch.

After that, the second person asked me to confirm MAC filtering wasn't turned on and then told me that they couldn't help and I needed to contact Philips.  

I pointed them towards this forum to clarify multiple users with the issue and noted that it was working fine until Vodafone changed the firmware.  No joy.

I asked what the firmware update had changed so that I might have some idea where to start if I did follow up with Philips.  I was told the technical team haven't released details of what had been updated and that it was a "general bug fix".  

I asked for my broadband password details so I could use my own router and as expected this was refused.  

They then closed the chat.

Nabs
17: Community Champion

Well that's not really on!
@nyfc I would be going down the complaints route if I were you. Vodafone have made a change that is restricting your use of internet based services, this, in my opinion, is simply not acceptable.
https://www.vodafone.co.uk/about-us/code-of-practice/

PS I've reached out to Philips about this issue to see if they are aware of it, will report back when I get a response.

Nabs

Wow Philips are super responsive on Twitter!

Got this in reply:

Hi Nabs, we were notified of this by a customer yesterday and we're currently looking into whether we can do anything on our side.

Great to hear that they are looking into it, hopefully they can get a workaround in place soon, I don't think Vodafone will be quick as quick to move on it!

Yeah that was me that notified them, its also great they are obviously taking it serious and have made everyone there aware of it. Fantastic service!

Great news on the Philips side.

Should we all reach out to Philips to let them know that a number of us (Vodafone customers), are experiencing this issue?

Here is my convo with them, they have just confirmed there isnt anything from their side that they can do :Sad_face:

https://twitter.com/tweethue/status/833626250115694596

What was the twitter account you posted to?

Nabs

@Domx360 https://twitter.com/bilies/status/833607204666212353

Same response as @helpme1986. To be fair to them, they've looked into it very quickly and come back with an answer pretty rapidly! As they have said it's a router issue so there isn't anything they can really do.

Vodafone it's over to you now... time to get the finger out and own up to the issue!

Small update:

I setup port mapping in the port management page on the router (port forwarding).

Port mapped my Hue Bridge ip address to forward on port 80.

Doing this has stopped the internet connection light on the Hue Bridge from flashing, which is a small move forward.

Two problems with this approach:

1.. We should not need to port forward on port 80 - this will expose the port to the internet

2.. I still cannot control my lights using the Hue app from outside my home network (via cellular connection 4G on my phone).

Strangely enough, I can control my lights using the meethue.com webpage via cellular 4g.  If I use the app, it will not connect.

I also noticed that another Vodafone customer has reported issues since the firmware update.  They cannot create lobbies in Forza 6 on the Xbox One.  

Looks like the new firmware has broken a nnumber of LAN to internet communications.

Nabs

@Domx360 have you tried dissasociating the app and re-adding it to your hue? Doing this might force it to update the route to the newly opened port.

Either way though, exposing ports like this is a massive security issue!