Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

GPL License and BIOS for Router

paulcormack
10: Established

Vodafone since your router uses GPLv2 licensed code, and obviously the bios is distributed.  I am of the understanding that you must release the source code of the bios for users under the GPL.  

Can somebody point me to the location of the source code for the BIOS ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

paulcormack

Got email from Vodafone and they advised me I could give the URL to anyone as well to download within the email.

I quote :

"

This email or download link can be forwarded to anyone.

The attachments are available until: Dienstag, 11 April."

If you would like the GPL Code for the router to have a look at what is on the routel under GPL it should be downloadable here :

https://justshare.vodafone.com/message/zTnHaaivGbH8DOATMAnV2N

View solution in original position

19 REPLIES 19

Carly
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@paulcormack

Are you referring to the router's username and password? If so, we don't provide these details to customers.

If not, could you please elaborate on the issue you're having with your router?

@Carly No I am not referencing any such thing.

The router uses GPL code which means the source code must be distributed either along with the software or be made available to end users.  For example netgear publishes its GPL licenced source codes here :

https://kb.netgear.com/2649/NETGEAR-Open-Source-Code-for-Programmers-GPL?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

This is a requirement of using the GPL software your router uses and I am asking for a copy of the source as is the entitlement of any user of your distributed code.

Perhaps you should refer to your legal department or licensing department ?  OR somebody with knowledge of software development. 

Hi @paulcormack

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Unfortunately the GPL code isn't something that we're able to provide you with, for security reasons. 

Thanks, 

@Amanda

It is your legal obligation under the GPL licence.   I want the source code please.

Actually Amanda can you confirm what you think I am asking for, because it seems, and I dont mean to cause offence, that there is a distinct lack of technical skills in the technical team when it comes to Routers, broadband, the internet and networking.

Hi @paulcormack

Thanks for getting back to us. 

I believe that the GPL (General Public Licence) code you're looking for, is to access and modify the software of your router. 

We've escalated this for you, to double check our position on this. 

We'll be back in touch once we have an update. 

Thanks, 

There is no position to be had on this.   The license is quite clear.  You must provide the source along with any distribution of the code when requested to do so.

To not do so is to be in breach of the copyright.   Ultimately if you are going to use open source code, you need to be sure that you provide the source with any modification you have made to it.

Please do get back to me with details of how to request the source officially if need be.

@Amanda I was being a bit dim actualy the information is supplied on the about page of the router :

Where the applicable license entitles you to the source code of such software and/or other additional data, you may obtain it for a period of three years after purchasing this product, and, if required by the license conditions, for as long as we offer customer support for the product. Vodafone provides an option for obtaining the source code. You may obtain any version of the source code that has been distributed by Vodafone via a download link for free or for the cost of reproduction of the physical copy by sending a request directly to:

Vodafone Group Services GmbH Stichwort: Open Source e-mail:
<removed>

This offer is valid for three years. If so provided in the license terms, this offer is also valid as long as Vodafone providing customer service and spare parts for the product in which the Software is used.

This offer is valid to anyone.

To process your request, we ask you to provide the following information: - Your name and mailing address; - Name and version or model name of the product; - Version of the software.

You can find the information you need on the product or in the "About" or "Über" in the user interface of the product. If you submit no version number of the software, we will send the latest version available. If you give us a specific version, we will send you of course this version. 

Nabs
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

@paulcormack have you got a link to that page?

@nabs it is on your Status & Support -> About - scroll past all the GPL/MIT modules and it is down the bottom there...It is within the router web page... not on vodafone website.

I have requested a download link as per the instructions and await vodafone supplying the source code.

I hope.  If you need the email address I can send it to you in a message I think.

P