You are here:

Pay monthly products & services

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest

Re: Home broadband keeps dropping out

What on earth are VF support doing by constantly asking us all to fill in tedious forms highlighting already known issues, seriously why ? I have sent you my home number (which is all you need - my email is also verification as its tagged to my account) yet you persist in asking for customers to contact support ? I would take this fault as mentioned by another user that it is known about within VF, there are enough users complaining about that we know of. I have since been advised that VF BB may not support the retrieval of email using a pop3 client !?! really ? what twoddle.

Message 21 of 80 (3,060 Views)
Topics: 1
Solutions: 7

@cr355

We'd need to access your account to look into this further, which we can't do via a public channel such as this. This is why we provide the link to our secure email form. 

Our Broadband team will help with any issues you're facing. 

Message 22 of 80 (2,791 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster

But the point is (as it applies to me) we have been through all the channels and all you are suggesting - unless you want to confirm otherwise - is doing more of the same.

If you were going to do something that hasnt been done, then it might be different and we all know the solution to the problem.

Use of our own equipment

Better VF Firmware (maybe test it too)

Less VF "features" and better core functionality

Message 23 of 80 (2,781 Views)

I am having the same issues. My internet has been dropping every 5 minutes all weekend, requiring me to restart my dsl connection everytime which makes it essentially useless.

When this happens the internet light on the router starts flashing red and is normally 2 minutes before anything eill connect again.
Message 24 of 80 (2,735 Views)

Disable UPNP and try that Smiley Wink

Message 25 of 80 (2,728 Views)

Well I am now totally exhausted explaining this fault and putting up with it, I have had several tech engineers looking at it and nothing has yet changed and nobody can resolve it. It is far easier for me to move back to EE, it seems evident after research the Hauwei router that is supplied is a bag of the preverbial, not something in this day and age I am prepared to endure for the next 18 months.

Message 26 of 80 (2,599 Views)

@user2202

how would disabling upnp help ?

Message 27 of 80 (2,597 Views)

try it and see - i know why, but try it

Message 28 of 80 (2,587 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster

Any updates on this thread ?  My connection is randomly rebooting too.  Most it will stay up is 2 days.  But this is a major headache when you are online gaming / streaming movies.  Never had this issue with BT where I was allowed to use my own High Quality router.

Message 29 of 80 (1,004 Views)

The answer is above from me or in the other post - turn off the UPNP

Message 30 of 80 (998 Views)

@user202, disabling upnp doesn't work as it happens - how on earth you think a universal plug and play option affects the tcp stack (which is where the issue is beggars belief - more intriguing is as to why you cannot explain how it would alleviate the problem yet suggest it)

Message 31 of 80 (918 Views)

[ Edited ]

THanks for the rude reply - im only trying to help you!

You do know im just a normal customer.

But for the simple minded...its difficult to be exact, due to the limited diagnostics...but disabling UPNP has resulted in my router remaining up 100%, from what i gather, it causes a processing or memory issue which then causes the router to get consume more resources and disable or cause various failures.

From memory - at 85% the GUI starts to become unresponsive at 90% it starts to drop things and then just waits until it hits 100% for a forced restart.

Its not the only thing to mess around with...DNS addressing, removing it from VF servers makes the restart process 50% faster.

But its your kit, i dont know if you actually tried disabling UPNP it took days of testing to find out what it was for me and a few on here that its helped - your problem could be something different.

But i dont care if your system never works...just trying to help

Message 32 of 80 (900 Views)

Hi - this sounds like one of the issues that I've been having. It's definitely a fault with the router, as - as you say - the interface becomes unresponsive at the same time. Basically, the router is crapping its pants and dying.

Is there a way of manually forwarding ports on the routerwith uPNP disabled?

Thanks!

Message 33 of 80 (896 Views)

Yes thats what i did, it does play up a bit and lost my forwards a few times...but if you note them first then you can do it manually normally

Message 34 of 80 (888 Views)

We have been with VF since the 23rd Feb 17 having switched from BT. What a mistake! Broadband keeps dropping out (never did with BT) Have contacted live chat but they do not seem to understand that it is the connection to the servers that is dropping. We get the dreaded flashing red light and the internet light is flashing. This happens between 5-15 times a day. What is the problem. Bloody useless!!!

Message 35 of 80 (874 Views)

@user2202, not sure how my response was misconsturued as rude, however personally whatever slant you take as with your view I couldn't care less. As it happens I am going back to EE who like other providers don't give customers free drop outs that annoy the hell out of people. I was lulled into VF by someone telling their wifi is better than everyone elses as it boosts to a particular device, what tosh  . .  it's an option you select that last for 12 hours - not sure what benefit that is, what they need to do is sort the internet connection out as someone else as quite rightly noticed - it's a rubbish router paired with sub standard tcp/ip stacking. Your Upnp may solve your issue but whilst we are all complaining about drop outs your symptom may be different and Upnp has worked, if the case all you have done is fudge a tosh router as it should cope with what it was manufactured to do else it simply isnt fit for purpose, you should never have to disable its options to reduce cpu power so it can work correctly .. .  ..  Good luck everyone else trying to 1) explain it to VF staff, and 2) getting them to actually address the issue and resolve it.

Message 36 of 80 (852 Views)

@user2202 Im another disabled uPNP happy customer.   uPNP has always been as buggy as hell on most routers and every cheapo router I have had supplied by ISP I have disabled it immediately - not purely cause it a bit useless.  But also because it does seem to cause disconnects on cheapo routers.

Just wanted to say disabling it worked for me and it's not a one off for you.  Ins aying that once I had disabled that I got a bit trigger happy and disabled everything an d plugged in something much more acceptable to my tastes and used the VF junk as a modem really.   :-).

Message 37 of 80 (848 Views)

Great, glad its working.

I had some issues using the VF as just a modem (because you cant bin everything), so i managed to bodge to a point it does what i need.

Ive never used UPNP, but ive never had it screw up so much...from what i can tell (as above), UPNP causes part of the problem, DNS another - my router had some issues with its ip addressing and something else. Ill ignore some of the other "feaures" that useless box of chips has!

Message 38 of 80 (828 Views)

[ Edited ]

Obviously this is quite a serious issue.  I'm sure VF know about it, but are just sweeping it under the carpet and hoping noone notices. 

Hard to ever know if they realise the seriousness as 1st and 2nd line support do a sterling job of making sure you never get to speak to anyone that has a clue...!!!

• "Can you plug a normal phone in and listen to the line for a bit"  --  I don't own any landline phones !
  • "Can you take your Master socket to bits and start experiementing with the test socket and filters for a while" --  It's in a very awkward place where it cannot be knocked and has just worked for years without issue on BT Infinity (with my own router).

Message 39 of 80 (651 Views)

This problem does seem more widespread than I thought. Luckily we still have a couple of days to take the 30 day opt out. I would ring support but reading some of the other comments doesn't seem worth it. We have complained to the CEO's office before over a different matter and got things sorted. Might try that again.

Message 40 of 80 (634 Views)
Got a question?

Get help and technical support on Vodafone's devices, products and services from our online community

If your question relates directly to your account or mobile number please contact our customer services team.

My Vodafone

My Vodafone

Stay in control of your spending and manage your account online.

Register for My Vodafone

Top up