You are here:

Pay monthly products & services

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest

Re: Home broadband keeps dropping out

Put it on their Facebook page. I have just advised people thinking of switching not to switch to VF on there. 

Message 41 of 83 (1,206 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster

Good plan with FaceBook.  I'm not a big user, but it can't hurt.

In your situation I'd quickly revert back to your old supplier.  I'm over the month now, thought I had my issues fixed with the Router Update (they shipped me one a year out of date) but unfortunately I was wrong.

Message 42 of 83 (1,191 Views)
Topics: 158
Solutions: 185

@Jacste@Andrew1000

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

We'll investigate further once you've contacted our team. 

Message 43 of 83 (1,171 Views)

[ Edited ]

Sorry Sukhi, but how does this differ from the times I've already called Vodafone only to be fobbed off with silly things to do, rather than help with the actual issue ?

I will try disabling uPnP this evening, then monitor stability to see if that helps.

It appears I'm actually quite "lucky" as my outages (up to 2 days without drop) are "quite good" in comparison to others.

Message 44 of 83 (1,161 Views)

Putting things on FB seems to upset them. I'm not a big user myself but it does have its uses.

Message 45 of 83 (1,147 Views)

[ Edited ]

For the love of all that is good in this world - Vodafone, just give everyone their connection information so we can use functioning routers instead of the "My First Router" toys you send out. Make it clear in your T&Cs that you don't support anything except your own utterly useless broken router, and it'll be fine. There is no logical reason for you not to do this. It's insane.

Message 46 of 83 (1,141 Views)

@Jactse - get out whilst you can, you will only regret it

Message 47 of 83 (1,125 Views)
Topics: 158
Solutions: 185

@Andrew1000

This will enable us to access your account and help further, as it's difficult see what's going on. 

Message 48 of 83 (1,114 Views)

I've logged the ticket as requested.

Meanwhile, this evening I will try the uPnP fix and see if that has any effect.

Message 49 of 83 (1,109 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster

The chat link on here makes NO difference, trust me

Message 50 of 83 (1,089 Views)

I completed the form as requested and have just had an email stating that they do not deal with broadband problems and have given me another number to call. What is the point!!

Message 51 of 83 (1,083 Views)

[ Edited ]

Back in the realms of "fix it yourself until your contract expires and you can move to someone that cares".... 

1. I have disabled uPnP.   Worth a try.
  2. I noticed that there is a new firmware revision.  The snapily named 5.4.8.1.291.1.30.1.6 update !!  I've installed and restarted the router.
  3. I notice that every time the router drops connection it restarts slightly slower.  I was initially on 62Mbs.  Now I'm getting 52.  Pretty soon I will be below the speed that Vodafone guarunteed when I took out the service.  This will either force them to restart from their end or let me exit my contract.
  4. VERY hacked off at losing 10Mbs I'm paying for.  And there's no point in complaining because we all know they won't look at it until I proven that I've cleaned the desk today, that I'm only using Walnut and that Uranus is at it's furthest point in orbit from the sun.
Message 52 of 83 (1,081 Views)
Topics: 0
Solutions: 2

@Jacste

That's disappointing to hear. 

Please provide us with the reference number from your email, it will look something like this [#123456], and we'll chase this up for you.

@Andrew1000

Have you emailed us following the instructions @Sukhi provided? 

Please let us know the reference number [#123456] and we'll make sure we've received it.

Message 53 of 83 (964 Views)

Becca_P. The number given was WRT165

Message 54 of 83 (940 Views)
Topics: 0
Solutions: 2

@Jacste 

Yes, that will be the first code, followed by a reference that looks like [#123456].

You'll have received this via email in an automated response.

If you let me know the six-digit reference, I'll check we've received this email.

Message 55 of 83 (905 Views)

WRT165  #15609720

Message 56 of 83 (899 Views)

WRT165 [#15608461]

Yesterday it dropped at :

16:50

17:10

18:15

18:34

20:08

20:50

This is not acceptable and I believe would be a breach of contract on your part as VF are not providing the service we are paying for. 

Message 57 of 83 (807 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Jacste   That's truly horrendous.  I've no idea how you manage to do anything that requires a steady internet connection with that going on.

Does make me wonder what the fault is.  Lets assume for a moment that all our routers are the same physically and that we've all updated them to the latest firmware.  Then what is it that causes some people to lose connection every hour, whilst another loses connection every day and others "perhaps" don't have any issues at all.?  Something at VF's side triggering it or something we do that the router can't cope with ?

When I was on the phone to VF their support asked "could you be doing anything that causes this like downloading large files / movies"...  I replied that I should be able to stream anything I like and that it shouldn't effect the router.  But it made me wonder if they see this all the time and tell this to users who don't know any better.

Message 58 of 83 (780 Views)

[ Edited ]

I strongly suspect it's vaguely related to the number of devices and the amount of traffic they're churning through. The router's a complete POS and isn't capable of handling the few devices I have on my LAN and my relatively low usage (7/8 devices, maybe 4 gig of data a day on average - though of course because the router's such a POS I have no way of measuring this) without borking and needing a reboot a couple of times a day... There's something fundamentally wrong with the router (which is a cut-price version of an already bad Huawei router) or the firmware that means there are memory leaks or some such that cause it to fill it's pants so regularly.

I can't even begin to imagine what people with families and high usage are going through!

If only they would just give us our connection information so we could use a known-good router, and test the connection and confirm if it is the router at fault eh?

Message 59 of 83 (770 Views)

We have gone through the whole routine of disconnecting devices so we only have one in use, still drops connection! The router is rubbish and/or VF are really not trying very hard. The BT one we had before never dropped. 

Message 60 of 83 (766 Views)
Got a question?

Get help and technical support on Vodafone's devices, products and services from our online community

If your question relates directly to your account or mobile number please contact our customer services team.

My Vodafone

My Vodafone

Stay in control of your spending and manage your account online.

Register for My Vodafone

Top up