cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How do I split the WiFi between 2.5 and 5Ghz on the Vodafone Connect Router?

aSystemOverload
3: Seeker

I'm just starting (Monday) with my Vodafone Broadband.  

1 - How do I split the 2.5 and 5 Ghz WiFi Signals on the new Vodafone Connect Router?  My Nexus Player operates on 2.5 only and I need to connect my phone to 2.5 (it can use both) or it won't talk to the Nexus Player?

2 - Am I permitted to use any router with my Vodafone Broadband? I have an open source Router (DSL-N66U) which is highly configurable and I'd like to know if I can use this if the Vodafone router is not fit for purpose.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pmatt39
1: Seeker

Hi

With the latest firmware this feature has now been added. Simply visit the router webpage, login, select 'expert mode' in the top right corner and the browse to the WiFi tab. Here wou wil see a slider option to split the SSID for 2.4 and 5. The various settings then appear below. My router upgraded to the new firmware during the first 24 hours of my new Vodafone service last week. 

In response to your second question you have no option but to use the Vodafone supplier router as they will not share the login details to enable you to use your own.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original position

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi,

I do that with my Bt Home Hub 5 too. :Smiling:

The Vodafone Connect Router as far as I'm aware does not allow this split. 

Note message 3 in this post Vodafone-Broadband-Router-Wireless-Device-Limit-Problems.

"The Vodafone connect router does not provide a facility for splitting out different SSID's for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz"

You could try asking....

Got a question?

08080 034 515
(free from all UK landlines and mobiles)
Lines are open between 8am and 11pm, seven days a week

At the moment you cannot use your own Router with Vodafone Broadband. Vodafone do not disclose the required settings to be able to. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

pmatt39
1: Seeker

Hi

With the latest firmware this feature has now been added. Simply visit the router webpage, login, select 'expert mode' in the top right corner and the browse to the WiFi tab. Here wou wil see a slider option to split the SSID for 2.4 and 5. The various settings then appear below. My router upgraded to the new firmware during the first 24 hours of my new Vodafone service last week. 

In response to your second question you have no option but to use the Vodafone supplier router as they will not share the login details to enable you to use your own.

Hope this helps.

Given that the price is unbeaable I was about to sign-up for VF fibre. I decided to check out the Connect router. And now I am losing the will to live.

Is the updated firmware that allows the 5GHz to have a discrete SSID actually rolled out or is still in testing? Or can 5Ghz be switched off?

Can I configure the DNS servers to be handed out by DHCP? I'm guessing no?

Can I alter the DHCP address range to allow for addresses outside the DHCP range to be used on my access points? 

I have a combination of wired and wireless devices. I have seen mention of limits on the number of clients and that this might be resolved in the latest firmware, assuming it is available? Some people have had to plug in a switch rather than use all the ports on the Connect. Is all this still

true? 

All input appreciated. Thanks,

Hello @Enceladus

To discuss the answers to your questions please contact our dedictaed Broadband Technical Team by calling 08080 034 515 from any phone or landline. 

Louise

You now can get the login and password - just call up customer service 

OK this is a strange situation. The router has the functionality to split main WiFi into 2.4GHz and 5Ghz and a Guest network. So when I was having teething issues with router stopping random devices I contacted First line support and they said "Split WiFi will solve your issues" and for a sort time it did but then again devices started locking out. So first line said move any device not working into a new guest network.  Worked for 3 weeks and started again. By now I'm getting annoyed.... First line Escalated fault to Second line support who instantly said "You can't have guest network or Split WiFi as it confuses the router", they promptly reset the router to default and loads of devices locked out. No worries "we will install WiFi doctor and it will handle everything and all well be OK". Next day most devices not working eventually second line support said the WiFi doctor not working properly. The issue now is very strange it will only let a select handful of devices access the Internet PC, phones 5Ghz, wemo sockets 2.4Ghz. My Alexas are disconnected along with my Sky Q, Samsung smart tv, Philips old TV, tapo  power sockets and my heating gateway. Then 2nd line said the sky Q was causing problems with router until I powered it off and fault persisted. So I want to know definitively from Broadband Service Management can we use Split WiFi? If not then remove feature from router configuration options and tell First line to stop telling customers its the answer. I'm distraught first and second line support don't appear to talk and I'm convinced the "Wizard of Oz" Broadband service manager is blissfully unaware of this situation. I think my next step is to try to cancel the contract and switch to another supplier. 

I've recently "upgraded" from superfast 100 to gigafast 900. Sadly this means that vodafone removes features from your router: you'll no longer be able to neither disable WPS (a security problem in routers) nor split the 2.4 and 5 ghz band to help compatability with older devices.

Note that this is not a router issue: the same router had this functionality with the superfast 100 package, I was explicitly told (after the fact) that the "upgrade" purposely removes features. Beware. I'll now have to look for an alternative router as vodafone refuses to provide any other solution while providing the maxium service speeds.

aSystemOverload
I'll check shortly, thanks.

jaysy
4: Newbie
I have been waiting for the firmware hoping it will fix the prob I have... Had the update now and no change so not good.

All devices connected via lan into connect can see each other that includes all devices hanging off my x2 APs that are wired (i.e. if I connect to either access point wirelessly I can see all my devices fine and the connect router shows correctly that they are Ethernet.
If I connect wirelessly Direct to VF connect router it cannot see anything that is wired ... So it cannot see my AP side devices such as printers or Sonos etc ..

Had to revert back to using my old dlink router in front of connect router (wifi off on connect router)..