Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

PPPoE username & password

Alienxists
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello,

I am currently using the vodafone connect router but wanted to change it for another model.

In order to configure the dsl it need the PPPoE username password. I contacted vodafone via chat but the chap told me that they cannot provide it because it is in their t&cs to use vodafone router only. However, I went on the t&cs as well and there's no mention that I cannot use another router.

From section 6.12

You agree only to connect equipment to our network which bears the European Consumer Equipment Standards “CE” mark, and agree not to connect any equipment which may harm our network or any of our other customers.

That said, the router that i want to use is the Draytek Vigor 2860VN and it is CE certified.

Can anyone shed some light on this or it there any department that i can contact to get more details?

65 REPLIES 65

So to clarify - the ways to get the connection details is to submit complaints and escalate them, or to get chummy with the L2 support personnel? Gotcha - thanks all.

I want to join vodaphone but i have an Asus AC88U.

I dont want a tin can before the Asus and stick the VF router in bridge mode.

Thats just plain stupid.

Is there an ONT/modem beofre the tin can?

If so anyone handy with wireshark ?

The vodafone router also a modem.   Modem/Router.   So not seperated out at all.   The vodafone router does not leak any credentials onto it's LAN ports and it's WAN port is disabled (presumably because it is not needed in the scenario vodafone have decided we all should be using it in).  So wireshark is pretty useless just now.   Other routers from the manufacturer have some php utilities floating about that can decrypt the password protected backup file you can take from the router and honestly this is what will probably end up as the hack for this device too.   But as yet nobody has successfully hacked the backup file or getting into the BIOS.  

The BIOS of the VF routers is locked down heavily as well and there is no bridge mode.  You can get pretty close by disabling a lot of stuff and putting your own kit in it's DMZ but still that is not the same, as we all know.

Best of luck to you if you choose the tin can.

mmmm.

Not good then.

I know in Spain they have the same issue but they have two devices.

The ONT and router.

Where you can wireshark the details out.

Thats why i came on here because even with google translate its not straight forward enough for me beign a wireshark noob.

If you had the same setup in the UK then BINGO....could have helped each other.

movistar have one of these 2 in one boxes.

Was advices not to accept them if you want to use a better router.

I too would like to use my own hardware, and from this thread and the other one, I appreciate it's a struggle, and some lucky people have been released their U/P details.

The hardware I would like to use is an ASUS RT-N66U (DD-WRT), which connected previously via an Openreach "modem" - one of the plain white boxes (I could search out the model no. if required).  I note, I achieved faster speeds on the same line previously, so that may be my "in" as to why I'm requesting my login details.

I was with TalkTalk before.  I was wondering, is PPPoE the way to send the U/P to that Openreach modem?  Previously, I never had to enter a U/P in the ASUS setup, and I did always wonder how it authenticated??

Cheers,

JJ

Routers don't authenticate, modems authenticate with a username password.

The vodafone box is a Modem & Router.   Ofcourse you can turn off most things on the vodafone box essentially relegating it to simply be a modem (not quite but almost) and then use your ASUS as you always have as a router behind a modem.

Unfortunaltely vodafone does not make this easy for you to do but it is certainly possible to continue using your router behind the vodafone box, as I do.

Al isps should have the option for other routers.

Generally they are more secure for those who know what they are doing.

I dont feel easy knowing an isp can udpate my firmware through a backdoor which a hacker also can get access to.

It irresponsible.

If i was accessed id sue the *rse of the isp.if they claimed "security".

I know the vodafone spain use this line.

I suspect that VF have locked down the router so tightly is so that they can by having the router cap the data rate that VF can just use VDSL equipment in exchanges instead of mixing VDSL and ADSL. Obviously a 3rd party router would negate this by removing this cap on “up to 17Mb” connections that are in reality syncing at 40Mb. I guess easier to do a blanket ban than trying to do explain it.

Unfortunately i've found these threads too late. Only got around to trying my own router to come up against the dreaded 'Sorry our policy changed in October'

I joined in March 2017 on the promise of 2 different sales reps that i could use my own router, even so far as trying to stop them sending me theres

So, Vodafone have now lost another customer - I tried reasoning, persuading, providing alternate solutions, but at every stage received the same bovine response, even from the Directors office, that they were not going to provide my PPPoE username & password to allow use of my own router. Just a little background - I am an IT professional, running an IT company with a large government department as a client. I have a complex home network with heat system, security cameras and music system all configured using a Netgear Nighthawk router - having ordered the Vodafone broadband service, I was unaware that Vodafone insisted on their own provided router which was not fit for purpose. I explained this to tech support, escalated to team leader, and escalated to the Directors office, explaining at all times that I was looking for an exception, and that I was not expecting any tech support for my equipment -  as previously stated, computer said no.  Eventually, after chasing for a response for 5 days, Douglas from the Directors office got in touch, and made no effort to find a resolution - I identified that business customers were allowed their user name and password, and to resolve the issue, he could transfer my multiple mobiles & broadband, and potentially another property broadband into a business acct, but that was rejected as he wasn't really interested in providing a resolution.

Vodafone, you really are rubbish, and do not derserve my business - as I was within the cooling off period, I have signed up for one of the many other broadband ISPs