Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Router dropping connection / Apple Airplay / Loss of speed

Andrew1000
4: Newbie

Hello.  I've recently moved over to Vodafone Broadband and in general it's going ok.  

One issue however is that Airplay (used for communication with all my Apple devices) no longer works on the network.  My Amp (which is the Airplay end-point is no longer detectable by any of my devices.  For reference I've turned off the amp & made sure that it's otherwise fully connected to the network. Everything looks fine, but Airplay no longer works.

Please help.  Is there something that needs updating / changing on the router ?

64 REPLIES 64

Seems it is still losing the internet connection though, constantly.  Looking at the PPP Session Uptime it's showing 9 hours and 41 minutes.  So although I was at work it did lose the connection earlier today.

Mine has had a few disconnects the past few weeks but nothing I am too worried about and very brief.  I check it by using the

Status and Support -> Event Log :   Select WAN and All Events and it shows my disconnect and reconnects.   Been down twice the past fortnight but one of them was me switching everything off I think.  The other time was for a minute last night - which I am happy with. 

lots of posts on disconnects - the issue is simple, ive posted a solution - the fix, vodafone wont do...which is allow users to use their own router.

Indeed.  I'd love to be able to use my own router that I used on BT without issue.  However I'm wondering if this is even a router issue or if it's caused by something at the back end that triggers a service restart on the router.

Yeah - I'd not be happy at all being bombed during a game.

Mine has been solid as a rock the past few weeks.  

Luckily I have everything turned off on the VF router which I think is why it is so stabole - especially uPNP.  😉

Turn off everything you really do not need and this might make a huge difference for you.   It has for me.

Update   --  Have called VF support, they've said an enginner will be calling me in 5 minutes (that was 10 minutes ago so hoping it's anytime now).

Nice idea regarding turning everything off, may look at this if the VF route fails, but this should be fixable.  I can't believe that all VF routers drop their connections to the internet regularly, that would surely cause a flood of complaints.

Nabs
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

@Andrew1000 wrote:

I can't believe that all VF routers drop their connections to the internet regularly, that would surely cause a flood of complaints. 

You would have thought!

I may be incorrect in saying this but I believe frequent drops in connection will also cause the exchange to reconfigure your line to a lower speed so this behaviour could result in you receiving lower than expected speeds!

Most people, like my dad, probably use the internet once or twice a day...  he would never notice if his vodafone router was rebooting or not.  Unless it didn;t work... it's all a probability thing.  🙂

I think for these routers it seems, if I remember right, the CPU/Mem usage spikes on the system and then the system reboots.   Do you know is it your connection is being reset or your router is rebooting ?       

It's the connection.  The router shows that it's been up for ages.  But the connection regularly drops.  

My speed HAS dropped from the original speeds I recieved the first few days of being connected to VF, but now I'm on speeds consistant with that I had with BT for years.  Except with BT I could use my own modem and I never had any connection drops.

Almost 3 hours later and still no call-back.

So much for 5 minutes / customer service.  A shame as the person I spoke to was very good and appeared to speak to the tech guys directly.