Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Home Broadband / Vodafone Connect

dynamick
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Hi there. Firstly the speeds and setup on my broadband have been great, so has most of the customer support I have had with initial gremlins on setup

I do have two big headaches though. I have a zyxcel nsa325 network drive which I store music, photos, movies etc on and On my old plusnet modem I just plugged it in the ethernet port and my Hitachi tv saw it. Now although the drive is visible through my PC and is visible wordlessly on the home network, the drive is not seen by my TV *unless the drive is plugged directly into the the ethernet port on the TV. So what setting am missing, there is no help or suggestions on the net, with it being a new modem there is no firmware 6 for it either.

Secondly, when I signed up for vodafone home broadband I was told that I would get 10 email addresses too, I have no idea where they are or indeed the pop/imap.plus.net settings for the addresses or the settings so I can send emails on my current email address.

Hope someone can help and thanks in advance

Mick
373 REPLIES 373

cjwalsh
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Looking forward to getting the new firmware update (still under testing according to the update today to the announcement post).

I would like to flag that I don't think this is just a DLNA issue, I think it's more like some kind of AP/port isolation issue. The reason I say this is because I am having problems where devices which are connected via WiFi to the router can't see the devices which are connected to the LAN ports. This includes devices connected via Powerline adapters which end up connected to one of the LAN ports on the Vodafone Connect router.

This means that the following scenarios just don't work:

• Mac Book Pro connected via WiFi to a Powerline Access Point/adapter, which then connects to a Powerline adapter connected to the Vodafone Connect LAN port, can't access a HP printer which is connected via WiFi to the Vodafone Connect Access Point
  • Windows 10 laptop connected via WiFi to the Vodafone Connect Access Point can't connect to Xbox One for game streaming, where the Xbox One is connected via a wired connection to a Powerline adapter, which connects to the other Powerline adapter which is connected to the Vodafone Connect LAN port
  • Scanning the devices on the network using Fing on an Android smartphone connected to the Vodafone Connect WiFi access point will show the other devices connected to that access point, but will not discover anything connected to the LAN ports (either directly or via Powerline adapters).

I do hope the upcoming firmware update resolved this, but I would encourage Vodafone to also provide the broadband login details to allow users to install their own router if they want, with the understanding that it would not be officially supported. Alternatively, please provide some way to access the full settings/configuration of the Vodafone Connect router so that advanced users can get proper diagnostic information and have proper control over the device.

Access to the client dhcp settings would be good too.

I would like my opendns servers for proper parental control. Not the flimsey Vodafone version

Completely agree cjwalsh... its WiFi to Lan that is the issue.

As its the same for me when i use fing or netty to look at my network (via VF connect router Wifi on iphone)

The devices i have via LAN seem to show at first but then just disapear off the network shortly after...   its really bizarre.

i have or should i say had ... 2 x APs wired to the connect router, which have both wired and wireless connections off the back of them (printers/NAS/Sonos etc etc).

If i use fing when WiFi on VF connect it cannot see the APs or any of the AP devices, and as such i cannot use my iphone to connect to the printers or sonos devices etc its like they dont exist.

now if i then walk to the access point and my iphone switches wifi to AP1 - all of a sudden my network is fully alive and fing returns all my network and i can see and ping all devices  - i can even ping and connect to the devices on AP2 (which is cabled via the VF connect router) which shows that the LAN connections are ok.

Definately something very wrong with the VF connect router

Like is said in a prev post - 

VF connect router is a modem currently and my 6 years old Dlink (sat infront) is doing a good job and glad i didnt bin it :-).

I have just spoken to VF support about something else, and asked about the firmware - apparently it has been delayed because they hit some problems in testing, and they are now testing it again. She couldn't give me a timescale though ..

As a side note, she was very helpful and switched on, and they now have a ACD menu option for broadband, which is a good change.

Hey jaysy,

Just wondering, when you connect via WiFi to your AP1 or AP2, can you seen anything which has connected to the VF connect AP?

It sounds like there's some issue with AP isolation on the router. If you enable the second WiFi SSID on the router it definitely seems to be operating that SSID in isolated/guest mode, with no access to anything else on the router except internet access, which is fine, but it feels like there's some other kind of isolation between the normal SSID and the LAN ports.

i cant remember to be honest i would have to re-test.

So connecting stuff to via LAN or Wifi (like smart TV, Apple TV, Sky etc that have the choice & which are in the same cabinet as the Connect router that i couldnt tell you sorry) trial and error... some things worked some didnt in various configurations....  it didnt all work together that was the problem

the issues i was looking at was as the Connect Router is in the main area of my house where i use Wifi the most and cos it had strong wifi i was always on it ....  i couldnt control devicese or sent prints to my "lost" devices in the corners of my house and why i need the APs to give coverage there ...    so i was looking out, so to speak and not in as much when i was on either AP looking in.

I have the exact problem, can't see my nas via wifi as they are connected with powerline adapters.  Have no other way of connecting the nas to the router due to distance.

Is there a fix?

Braj_chan
4: Newbie
Just an update for my situation. Spotify connect keeps coming on and off as am option when trying to connect through my iPhone 6.
Same happens with Amazon fire tv app, sometimes recognises the fire tv, sometimes keeps scanning.
Surprisingly my dlink powerline adapter connects no problem. If looks like the issue could be hardware not just software IMHO.
Mind you none of this was an issue with Home hub 5.
Vodafone really needs to pull their acts together or else they will lose a lot of annoyed customers. At the least they need to educate their technical support staff.

Is anyone aware of any news on the promised router firmware update?

I have Sonos tech support chasing me every now and then to see if the new firmware has resolved the issue .. shame Vodafone aren't so diligent.

I had VF on the phone yesterday, as my router drops its speed to 2-3Mbps and a factory reset is needed.

I mentioned again my synology and sky q being useless on the wire because of their shonky router software

they again reiterated that it was in testing and no firm release date.