Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Home Broadband / Vodafone Connect

dynamick
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Hi there. Firstly the speeds and setup on my broadband have been great, so has most of the customer support I have had with initial gremlins on setup

I do have two big headaches though. I have a zyxcel nsa325 network drive which I store music, photos, movies etc on and On my old plusnet modem I just plugged it in the ethernet port and my Hitachi tv saw it. Now although the drive is visible through my PC and is visible wordlessly on the home network, the drive is not seen by my TV *unless the drive is plugged directly into the the ethernet port on the TV. So what setting am missing, there is no help or suggestions on the net, with it being a new modem there is no firmware 6 for it either.

Secondly, when I signed up for vodafone home broadband I was told that I would get 10 email addresses too, I have no idea where they are or indeed the pop/imap.plus.net settings for the addresses or the settings so I can send emails on my current email address.

Hope someone can help and thanks in advance

Mick
373 REPLIES 373

re the DNS, theres now an option to specify DNS does this not ällow you to specify an internal address? I dont need to change this o haven't tried but noted its now an option.

It is indeed an option, however it will not resolve to an internal IP on LAN. Hard to tell why given access to the router is limited at best. Port forwarding works well, external DNS pointing works well, but in my experience the router will not query an internal DNS server.

This was a solution I tried to attempt to get access to internal websites from the router. No joy =(

I have all LAN devices / computers pointed at the internal DNS server and they resolve just fine. Just not on VF WiFi. This is the lengths I have gone to 😃

sounds like its only coded to go out on the WAN interface. so some progress but still shortsighted.

Interstingly, when I first viewed the router I could see a load of information and settings. Now I'm getting blank from most pages. The General page and wifi page are blank, and selecting wifi setings, it tells me the wifi is turned off. Surprising as I'm composing this on a wireless laptop!. Anyone else had this loss of pages?

OK, well power off and on resolved this, which is strange, as it had only occurred after a previous power down!. Whether because the previous power on had ben power reconnected not via the rear power button, but this time it was via rear power button...

Oh well. All fine now

I had considered all my issues with my Router were over but today I tried printing from my wireless PC to two different wired printers. 

I seldom use my printers so its been a while since I tried. Anyway both were shown as "Offline" and nothing would change that.

Finally I rebooted the router and they appeared in Win 10 as "Online".

One would print but second wouldn't. Reinstalled drivers and no different.

Tried again later and both were "Offline" again.

Connected my PC by wire and gues what they both print flawlessly.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Obvious things first, like you are connecting to the main network, not the guest, win10 does see this as a trusted network?

Advanced settings sharing, is sharing printers on? As there's no help avalable dont know what this does but you could try if not älready on.

Sounds like your network is partitioned between wired and wireless, theres not a lot you can do on the router connected with this. Occurs to me my printer and laptops are all wireless, so never tried printing from wired to wireless....

@WillVXR, on wireless you are not going to be able to see anything on LAN with the current router Vodafone provide (firmware update pending?). One solution is to disable wireless on the vodafone router, and plug another wireless router into the wired port on the vodafone router.

This is what I have had to do, it's embarrassing I imagine, that my 6 year old router can handle wireless to LAN but the new router that Vodafone provide cannot, but this is where we are.

As an aside, that Vodafone router is so disabled it's amazing it works at all. No NAT hairpinning (a feature that really should be default), no ability to set an internal DNS server and an "Expert Mode" that is at best basic. Worst, it seems to be set in isolated wifi mode. You cannot set this. You will not see other computers on your network.

A support tech told me that they had a demo on all the things this amazing router can do. I'm sure it can, but not for you. You can't. So my fancy router is a pony from the master socket to actual proper routers that know what they are doing. Nice job Vodafone!

I can't agree with that statement: My NAS (WDMYCLOUD) is wired to the router, and on all my laptops wirelessly I can 'see' and connect to the shared folders. It also shows up under my network on them.

In reply to daviesr:

I do not have a guest network.

Regarding Sharing  - Why would wireless/wired have a different outcome/ effect on the sharing of a printer? Both printers appear "online" and print when my computer is connected by wire but don't when the computer is connected wirelessly (same printer settings and both printers always connected to the network by wire).

Interestingly, I have an exe file on my NAS that I use to change settings on my networked AV Receiver. Whenever I use my computer wirelessly and double click the file it cannot find my AV Receiver on the network. However, if I connect my computer by wire and double click the same file on my NAS my AV Receiver is found and I can make changes.

Despite the recent firmware update I think my only solution is to buy a second router and just use the Vodafone box as a modem.

Logically, I need to end my Vodafone contract as soon as my 18 months is up.