You are here:

Pay monthly products & services

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest

Vodafone Home Broadband / Vodafone Connect

Hi there. Firstly the speeds and setup on my broadband have been great, so has most of the customer support I have had with initial gremlins on setup

I do have two big headaches though. I have a zyxcel nsa325 network drive which I store music, photos, movies etc on and On my old plusnet modem I just plugged it in the ethernet port and my Hitachi tv saw it. Now although the drive is visible through my PC and is visible wordlessly on the home network, the drive is not seen by my TV *unless the drive is plugged directly into the the ethernet port on the TV. So what setting am missing, there is no help or suggestions on the net, with it being a new modem there is no firmware 6 for it either.

Secondly, when I signed up for vodafone home broadband I was told that I would get 10 email addresses too, I have no idea where they are or indeed the pop/imap.plus.net settings for the addresses or the settings so I can send emails on my current email address.

Hope someone can help and thanks in advance

Mick
Message 1 of 367 (32,846 Views)

Re: Vodafone Home Broadband / Vodafone Connect

Wirelessly not wordlessly! !!! Lol
Message 2 of 367 (32,791 Views)
Topics: 3
Solutions: 28

Hello @dynamick

Unfortunately as you're already on the latest software, we're not able to advise any further about the settings. We'd suggest contacting Hitachi directly as the issue seems to lie with them. 

You can contact your designated broadband team by calling 191 and entering your account number, when prompted. 

Alternatively you can speak to them on Live Chat online. 

Cheers,

Message 3 of 367 (32,555 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster

I have to disagree with Amanda as I have exactly the same issue and came across this post when doing a search.

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS 102 which I store all my music etc on and use a networked Yamaha AV Receiver for playback.

This worked flawlessly with a BT Homehub but I have now discovered it doesn't work at all through my new Vodafone Broadband Router.

All of the equipment is visible and accessible in Windows 10 (I can even play the music on the NAS with Windows Media Player).

The problem occurrs when I try to access the music via my AV Receiver, my Netgear NAS, usually visible as the source device, has been replaced "Vodafone Station".

The only working solution thus far is to connect a network switch into the router and plug the AV Receiver and Netgear NAS directly into the switch.

As this gets around the issue I would suggest the issue lies firmlywith the Vodafone router which doesn't let my AV Receiver "see" the Netgear NAS when both are connected directly to the Vodafone Router.

Message 4 of 367 (32,461 Views)
Topics: 158
Solutions: 185

@WillVXR

On your bill you'll find the number of your dedicated support team. Please call this for further assistance.

Message 5 of 367 (32,308 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the same issue with my wd mycloud NAS

its clearly a bit of a key fault with the router not impressed 

Message 6 of 367 (31,220 Views)

I believe the mycloud, readynas and zyxcel all have some kind of DLNA server running in the background I believe. Do you know if this is how your devices like TV and Amp access the media on those drives? It may be.

The Vodafone Connect Router has its own DLNA server enabled by default called Twonky. This may be causing a discovery problem on your network. Try going on the router and disable Twonky under Advanced then Advanced Sharing. Remember to Apply after changing the settings.

Let me know if that works. Seen some funny DLNA things in the past, Vodafone Station is probably the name given to Twonky on the Connect Router.

Message 7 of 367 (30,994 Views)

Thanks for the input, I am currently using an 8 port switch to connect everything together with a final connection to the Vodafone router/modem.

Not ideal as it cost £ but hey ho it works.

Message 8 of 367 (30,973 Views)

Hi there, I am having the same problem sharing my media from a NAS drive (Seagate Goflex Home) through my new Vodafone Connect Router. The NAS should show up on my TV as a media server and on the Xbox 360 as a PC. I was using a Netgear router before switching to Vodafone without any problems. I have also tried switching off the twonky settings, but this has not helped.

Message 9 of 367 (30,967 Views)

Switching off twonky has not made a jot of difference 

I tried calling voda help and I was more than a little unimpressed. Thinking i may have to cancel within the 14 days 

Can you get the settings anywhere so you can try and 3rd party vdsl router ? 

Message 10 of 367 (30,948 Views)

ok i connected to NAS to a switch rather than directly to the router and now it works just fine again 

Thank you vodafone support for wasting ages just to tell me to a) switch it on and off and b) to call WD as it must be their fault 

Message 11 of 367 (30,943 Views)

How about this then. I can't try this because my Vodafone Connect Router is basically sat as a dumb modem in front of another e3000 dd-wrt router.

Try connecting it back into the Vodafone Connect Router then in the settings turn the firewall off. I wouldn't recommend doing this for long just to test. Maybe the built in firewall is impacting communication between devices connected on the router.

If it works with the firewall disabled then it might need a NAT configuring for the internal communication which we can figure out if actually required. I've been working on some virtual firewall stuff recently that uses interface based rules rather than networks so devices on the same network can be hidden from each other.
Message 12 of 367 (30,923 Views)

Hi all.

For anyone else who finds this question this is what I have found. It is a bug and Vodafone need to resolve it in firmware.

The Vodafone Connect Router broadcasts on your network as a DLNA server called Vodafone Station. It seems to be called this because in other countries like Italy they use the same/similar router but call it a Vodafone Station.

When connecting a device that uses a DLNA server to send media to other devices like your TV, Amp or games console to the router directly it will not work. You may not be aware that your devices uses DLNA but it probably does just like the mentioned devices in this thread. Check your manufacturers details and look for the DLNA logo, if it's there then this is the problem.

Your TV, Amp and games console act as a DLNA client and scan the network for DLNA servers which they would normally pick up however the router is not passing the DLNA requests between the built in network ports. Instead it responds back with it's own DLNA server called Vodafone Station. The DLNA server it uses is called Twonky. There appears to be an option to disable this in the Vodafone Connect Router interface but disabling it does not actually turn it off. It remains on and discoverable. For those that have said they can still access the content from a PC the reason is that you're using a different method of connectivity, not DLNA. Most likely SMB.

The permenant solution is for Vodafone to fix this in a firmware upgrade.

The temporary fix as mentioned by others is to buy a cheap switch, you can pick them up for £10 or less. Connect the switch to the Vodafone Connect Router then connect all your devices to switch instead. If your TV uses wifi and isn't cabled to the switch you may find this still doesn't work.

I found no settings tinkering works for this problem. This is a consumer grade product so most users expect to be able to plug and play without the need for any knowledge of how it actually works. You buy these devices and plug them in and they should work, you shouldn't need to know how DLNA works etc... In this case the bug isn't acceptable and should be fixed.

The tech team needs to flag this with the product development guys.

Message 13 of 367 (30,796 Views)

Hi Chris.

Thanks for posting your findings, this has been driving me mad!

Vodafone:  I assume that you will be releasing a firmware update to address this problem?

Thanks again.

Message 14 of 367 (30,745 Views)
Topics: 83
Solutions: 100

@ChrisOX33 and @chrisb84

There's been some great work shown here and I've passed this on for further investigations.

Message 15 of 367 (30,687 Views)

All,

Another update which I have been meaning to post - if you are connecting your TV or other equipment via PowerLine adaptors (in my case TP-LINK TL-PA251) to your Vodafone Connect router the NAS still isn't visible.  To get everything working you will need to connect the PowerLine adaptor to the same switch as the NAS, not the router.

Thanks,

Chris

Message 16 of 367 (29,508 Views)

I can attest that this has solved my problem also. Thank you for your suggestion!

Message 17 of 367 (28,391 Views)

This is an interesting thread but it is unfortunate that we all have to buy extra equipment (In my case an 8 port Gigabit switch) in order to use a  Vodafone modem/router in the way it was intended to work out of the box.

I would like to see a resolution (Hardware change or firmware update) and a rebate for the purchase of switches that should not even be needed..

Message 18 of 367 (28,382 Views)

Whilst this is massively frustrating I am somewhat pleased that there are others suffering similar problems to me.

Whilst not strictly using a dedicated NAS, I have a decktop PC with 2x2TB drives, (1 backing up the other), with all my Music, Videos and Pic on. Prior to switching to Vodafone I had absolutely no problem streaming my media to a Smart TV and an Android box connected to another TV. I also have a Logitech Squeezebox connected to my HiFi and a Squeezebox radio.

I have managed to get the Squeezebox working, (don't know how as initially it wouldn't) and previously both the TV and Android box would see the Logitech Media server or Windows Media player, (as this apparently is a DLNA server in it's own right), but now "Zilch".

I tried Customer Support and they couldn't help. Something along the lines of, "The broadband works and I can't help you with the streaming issues". In fact I am not sure if they actually knew what I was talking about.

I do have a spare Gigabyte switch so may try that workaround but come on Vodafone, sort this out.

Message 19 of 367 (28,313 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster

Same problem here .... I have 2 other AP's and Networking everything Xbox, Synology NAS, Sonos, networked TVs, power line etc etc .... Thought I was going crazy
Luckily I had a spare 8port gig router plugged everything in that as prev @chrisb84 said and bobs your uncle all now works ok

Is there an update on the firmware date, as I understand it this problem has been acknowledged with a statement of intent to provide.

Does it include any other benefits such as being able to control wifi bands??
Turning 5ghz off or allowing another SSID here?
Message 20 of 367 (27,783 Views)
Got a question?

Get help and technical support on Vodafone's devices, products and services from our online community

If your question relates directly to your account or mobile number please contact our customer services team.

My Vodafone

My Vodafone

Stay in control of your spending and manage your account online.

Register for My Vodafone

Top up