Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone connect router DHCP settings

mattman
4: Newbie

I have posted this into off topic as I can not see any reference to Vodafone Home phone and Broadband.

I have install the router and all is working but there one thing that is missing from the setting of the VDSL router that being a function to turn off DHCP, I have for the pasted 10 year had my own network running at home with a fully working server that is my DHCP & DNS server but for the first time in history I have just sign up for 18 month and got a bloody router that has no function in the GUI settings pages to turn OFF the DHCP server. So for now I will have to wait for 18 months before I can change ISP. thanks vodafone tech team for missing this one. If there is anyone out there that can offer me a firmware update to give me the function to turn OFF DHCP then please post it.

602 REPLIES 602

hrym
17: Community Champion

Would it be possible to turn DHCP off on the server and use the router to provide the service instead?*   Also, I'm not familiar with the Vodafone broadband service, but do you have to use their router, or could you provide your own, choosing one that does have the ability to turn off DHCP?

* I don't know how feasible that is.   I've had a similar installation to you in the past, but turned DHCP off on the router.  We had a merry dance until I realised that the router had to be on the same IP address family as the server, but that's another story...

The issue with that is that the home server runs both DHCP and DNS and if you use one without the other this can cause the whole network to go a bit funny, as you know when you had you setup on different subnets.

What I need is someone form the tech team that has worked on the Vodafone connect router and for them to tell me that there is going to be a new firmware release for the router.

Thanks for you input but in this case it will not help me.

Regards

MattMan

hrym

Yeah, I get that.   I was assuming the router would be the device to do both, tbh.  I agree it's slightly clunky, though.   DId you consider using a dufferent router (assuming you can, with the service)?

No really happy with the idea of having a different router being that it is just one setting away from what I need, I have bit the bullet now and changed over the router from Virgin Media and for now DNS is not working in my house and I'm trying to get a workaround to fix the issue.

What would be nice is to know what make and model the Vodafone connect router is so I can start having a look at changing the firmware myself.

Thanks again for your input.

hrym

Can you find the DNS server settings for Vodafone anywhere? (Maybe on ther router?)   I would imagine that a Virgin router would have theirs pre-entered, maybe even hard-wired.

Hi there, just a quick question. Did you ever manage to find a work around? I was thinking of moving to Vodafone Connect but not if we're locked into using their own Router - with Sky/BT/Plusnet fibre you can use an openreach modem + whatever router you want and was wondering if it's the same with Vodafone?

Hi 

I could not see any setting that I could use to put into a different router so i'm not sure if the vodafone connect router works based on the phone line that it is on but as I do not have another VDSL router i'm unable to check, I'm still waiting for an update from Vodafone regarding the firmware, I'm finding more problem everyday with this hardware.

Sorry I could not help more.

Regards

Matt 

ChazzD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@LegionOfBrad

We’ll provide a Vodafone Connect router to any new customers who want to take our Vodafone Broadband. As far as I'm aware, this is the router you'll need to be using.

However, if you give us a call on 191 or 08080 034 51 we'll be more than happy to direct you to our Broadband team who can check this for you.

NickT123
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
We have one of those routers. Worked fine for a month, now no broadband connection and waiting 24 hrs so far for a tier2 tech support call back.
Going in via ethernet and http://vodafone.connect with pwd vodafone I can see the WAn test fails with Data PPP connection false