Support:

Pay monthly services

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
canttakeanymore
Accepted Solution

Beware of 7 day cooling off period! Advice anyone?

7 day cooling off period or 7 days for vodafone to use delay tactics so you are tied into a contract you dont want!!

I have had an absolute nightmare the last few weeks with Vodafone..... To cut a very long story short, was going to move to Orange as they did a fantastic deal on the Iphone 4S (25% discount for NHS employees). Cancelled the contract, then got a call from Vodafone saying they would match the deal from Orange. Fabulous! Until the phone was delivered and it was the Iphone 4s but 16GB and I wanted a 64GB!! (which was my fault because I got mixed up on the phone). Went straight to the store to see what could be done - nothing because I had ordered it by phone, "helpful" sales member phoned the call centre for me, then disappeared into the back room. When she came back, she said she could sort it out but I would have to return to the store the next day!! This is not practical as I live a 45min drive from the store, so I said I would phone the call centre myself to sort it out.

Phoned the call centre - oh dear, they can't help because I have been to the store now and the delivery envelope has already been posted out, no way they can send another one, sorry for the inconvience but the only way to cancel the upgrade was to drive back to the store. Asked to speak to supervisor - no one available but promised to phone me back. Nobody did.

Tried to cancel it by email - got a reply saying I had to do it by phone.

Next day, (today) went to the store again, took the sales person ages to track down the envelope to send it back. Now I have to go to the post office myself to post it!!! Best bit was they still couldnt cancel my contract, still had to phone vodafone call centre myself. Phoned them again when I got home, unfortunately the returns team have a fault on the line and no one can speak to me or phone me back. Hmmmm I smell a big rat. 7 day cooling off period after entering a contract is all very well Vodafone, but how on earth do you cancel it if they wont accept notice of termination online, on the phone or in the store! I have spoken to at least 5 different people who have all given me different information. Now what?! Drive to the warehouse myself??

Please can someone advise what to do? I dont want the phone and have entered into a contract (24 months) that they will not cancel. My original phone sim has been disconnected, so once I post this one back I wont have a phone at all and they will not honour the original deal of matching Orange's offer of 25% off with the 64GB Iphone 4S, which was the only reason I was staying with vodafone in the first place....

Is there one person at Vodafone who is honest enough to deal with this?

Message 1 of 21 (8,858 Views)
canttakeanymore

Re: Beware of 7 day cooling off period! Advice anyone?

IT GETS WORSE!

Just been to post office to post off the phone in the envelope that I had to go out of my way to collect at the store yesterday...... the envelope was not pre-paid!! So I have had to pay postage myself and the petrol to go and collect an envelope. Surely there must be a better system? Why couldnt I have just posted it at the post office myself without having to collect a pre-addressed envelope? Or why couldnt you have sent the envelope to my home address ?

I would like an explanation please.

Message 2 of 21 (8,783 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

Hi canttakeanymore

Thank you for your post and I am sorry to hear of the poor experience you have had and I certainly understand why you are frustrated.

I would love to get this resolved for you and to do this I will need to take a closer look on your account, please complete and reply to the email I have sent to the address you registered with on here and we will be able to investigate further.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 3 of 21 (8,754 Views)
canttakeanymore

Dave, I replied to your email yesterday as instructed. Haven't had acknowledgment of it. Did you get it?

Message 4 of 21 (8,735 Views)
canttakeanymore

Today received an invoice for a phone I havent got. Phoned the call centre - can't confirm whether the phone has been received yet (though Royal Mail said delivered yesterday to the warehouse). Still don't have a phone, being charged monthly rate as well. Call centre say a manager will phone me back, though I was promised a manager callback on Saturday and no one has..... Been ignored on here as well..... Still not had a reply from Dave. Is there a direct email to complain?

Message 5 of 21 (8,720 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
AndyD

Hi canttakeanymore,

Thanks for your post this evening. I've checked our email queue and can see your email is there for the team to work. We'll be in touch with you as soon as we can.

Thanks

Andy

Message 6 of 21 (8,716 Views)
canttakeanymore

Thanks Andy, will look forward to hearing from somebody hopefully soon.

Message 7 of 21 (8,710 Views)
canttakeanymore

phoned call centre (again) last night - a manager will definitely call me back within 24hrs....nobody has. Still waiting for you guys to phone me as well, have replied to every email, giving contact numbers and times that I am at home. Still without a mobile ( a week now), so sitting in every night waiting for someone from Vodafone to call me.... I know that techteam is small and it really isnt your fault that all of this has happened, but I really need somebody to sort this out.. For a communication company, vodafone really is terrible at communicating.....

Message 8 of 21 (8,672 Views)
canttakeanymore

Well finally someone phoned from vodafone, don't know who it was or from what department. They phoned at a time that I specifically said I wasnt going to be home and left a message on the answerphone to say they werent going to call back because they can see that the issue has been resolved. WHAT?!!! How has it been resolved? I still have no phone, am out of pocket and havent spoken to a manager. Completely fed up and don't know what else I can do to get vodafone to communicate with me.

Message 9 of 21 (8,644 Views)
canttakeanymore

[ Edited ]

Finally managed to talk to someone with good knowledge of vodafone offers and who didnt talk complete rubbish/make empty promises to try and get me to sign on the dotted line.... Anyone who wants customer service - head down to the Apple Store, can't recommend them enough. Saved me £30 off the price of 64GB iphone 4S and upgraded my vodafone price plan. Also managed to sort out my discount (without the hassle I got online and on the phone). They don't work on commission either. After 10 days of no phone and jumping through hoops to get anything sorted out (3 trips to the store, at least 20 call centre calls and emails and posting on here) I am so relieved that it is sorted. Thank you Apple!!

Message 10 of 21 (8,607 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi canttakeanymore,

I was just popping on to let you know that one of the team will be contacting you this evening to discuss the issue that you have had.

I can see that you have managed to get the issue resolved in the Apple store; can I ask if you still require a call from our team? If so please let me know and I will be able to get this arranged for you.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 11 of 21 (8,584 Views)
leebert

I wish someone could help me!! Less than a fortnight ago I paid a considerable sum to come out of a contract early to go on a 30 day rolling contract.  I was very fortunate in the fact that I spoke to a really knowledgeable Scottish guy who was a real help. I originally spoke to someone in India with the intention of cancelling Voda altogether.  The Scottish guy who I would give 10/10 for signed me up to what I thought was a thirty day contract running for up to two years, during which time I could pull out.  He offered me a Sony Xperia Z phone and all seemed fine.  Several days later the phone arrived and all seemes great until I checked my account to find that I had been out on a standard 24 month contract with no option to pull out, to make matters worse the phone took several days to arrive and it started to develop faults. I immediately contacted voda and was reassured that all was ok and someone would look into it.  I stated that it may well have been my misunderstanding but as I had only just got the phone and it was faulty I wanted to exchange it and someone to look into the contract length.  After speaking to numerous departments over 45 minutes I was offered a replacement phone and a promise that someone would get back to me ASAP and not to worry about the 7 day issue as I had already raised my concens within the 7 days from receiving my phone.  To cut a  long story short I kept ring and was fobbed off time and time again, with stories about someone high up having to listen to the call etc.  I did not doubt that the helpful salesman said 24 months but I was within 7 days and did not want a 24 contract!! I must have made a dozen phone calls and suffered a further faulty phone which must be replaced as it was the seventh day! I DONT WANT A 24 MONTH CONTRACT!!! I have just spoken to three different departments this morning including a conversation lasting 45 minutes and one lasting even longer. Call reference IN01045685884, the Manager who called me back was very sympathetic and wanted to help me get my 30 day contract and disappeared off again to speak to other colleagues, he stated he could arrange the chane.  When he came back to the phone he was not so keen to assure me of the change!! He promises to call me back before lunch and before yet another Xperia Z replacement phone arrives to resolve the matter.  I really do rate vodafone's signals and coverage but am deeply ashamed of their customer service when it comes to helping the innocent customer in this way.  I emplore vodafone if you are listening.  Please cancel the contract I misunderstood and informed you about within a few days of receiving the phone - I have no paperwork to back up your alleged contrat so could not have noticed the error earlier, thank God I had the sense to check my online account.  So Please Mr Manager of call reference IN01045685884 be a man of your word and call me back before lunchtime today - before yet another Xperia Z arrives and let me carry on being a doctor and not a phone magnet!

Message 12 of 21 (4,242 Views)
leebert

Re: Cooling off period on new contract?

I wish someone could help me!! Less than a fortnight ago I paid a considerable sum to come out of a contract early to go on a 30 day rolling contract.  I was very fortunate in the fact that I spoke to a really knowledgeable Scottish guy who was a real help. I originally spoke to someone in India with the intention of cancelling Voda altogether.  The Scottish guy who I would give 10/10 for signed me up to what I thought was a thirty day contract running for up to two years, during which time I could pull out.  He offered me a Sony Xperia Z phone and all seemed fine.  Several days later the phone arrived and all seemes great until I checked my account to find that I had been out on a standard 24 month contract with no option to pull out, to make matters worse the phone took several days to arrive and it started to develop faults. I immediately contacted voda and was reassured that all was ok and someone would look into it.  I stated that it may well have been my misunderstanding but as I had only just got the phone and it was faulty I wanted to exchange it and someone to look into the contract length.  After speaking to numerous departments over 45 minutes I was offered a replacement phone and a promise that someone would get back to me ASAP and not to worry about the 7 day issue as I had already raised my concens within the 7 days from receiving my phone.  To cut a  long story short I kept ring and was fobbed off time and time again, with stories about someone high up having to listen to the call etc.  I did not doubt that the helpful salesman said 24 months but I was within 7 days and did not want a 24 contract!! I must have made a dozen phone calls and suffered a further faulty phone which must be replaced as it was the seventh day! I DONT WANT A 24 MONTH CONTRACT!!! I have just spoken to three different departments this morning including a conversation lasting 45 minutes and one lasting even longer. Call reference IN01045685884, the Manager who called me back was very sympathetic and wanted to help me get my 30 day contract and disappeared off again to speak to other colleagues, he stated he could arrange the chane.  When he came back to the phone he was not so keen to assure me of the change!! He promises to call me back before lunch and before yet another Xperia Z replacement phone arrives to resolve the matter.  I really do rate vodafone's signals and coverage but am deeply ashamed of their customer service when it comes to helping the innocent customer in this way.  I emplore vodafone if you are listening.  Please cancel the contract I misunderstood and informed you about within a few days of receiving the phone - I have no paperwork to back up your alleged contrat so could not have noticed the error earlier, thank God I had the sense to check my online account.  So Please Mr Manager of call reference IN01045685884 be a man of your word and call me back before lunchtime today - before yet another Xperia Z arrives and let me carry on being a doctor and not a phone magnet!

Message 13 of 21 (4,241 Views)
leebert

Re: Cancelling Contract

Message 14 of 21 (4,239 Views)
leebert

Re: Loyal Customers

Message 15 of 21 (4,238 Views)
leebert

Re: Faulty phone.

Message 16 of 21 (4,236 Views)
leebert

Re: Issues with Xperia Z

Message 17 of 21 (4,237 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

[ Edited ]

Hi leebert,

Thanks for posting.

There isn't any need for you to post across multiple threads as I've already logged your post to be worked.

Once a member of the team is available we'll pick up your query.

Thanks,

LeeH

Message 18 of 21 (4,228 Views)
leebert

Having approached Ofcom following my last conversation following conversation IN01045685884, in which the Vodafone Manager had received communication that I was not able to terminate my contract despite requesting so within the seven day period, have advised that there potentially has been consistent mis-selling throughout my dealings with Vodafone in the matter of the closure of the old contract involving substantial funding and the purchase of the new agreement.  They advise that mis-selling arises because the independent retailer (Vodafpne) possesses information that is not (easily) accessible to the consumer but would be valuable when deciding whether to purchase the product. It may also be the case that Vodafone abuse the trust of me the consumer and use deception to obtain a sale by convincing me  that contracts are more attractive than they really are. 

There are several ways to tackle the information asymmetries mentioned above.
One option to correct the asymmetry is to provide consumers with clearer information and educate them to read terms and conditions so they are less susceptible to retailer manipulation, as this contract was made over the telephone such full terms and conditions to date hev not been supplied. Ofcom believe this immediate dispatch of the full Terms and Conditions, well within the seven days, would be a helpful first step to combat misselling – but might not be enough on its own.

It has been sugested that a different approach would be to discourage mis-selling by monitoring retailer behaviour (e.g. via complaints analysis) and imposing penalties against those with bad practices (monitoring and sanctions
could be undertaken by a number of organisations including the MSP, TSS and Ofcom

Message 19 of 21 (4,214 Views)
leebert

I was advised by the Manager to contact '54321' to obtain a by back figure estimated by him to nett me £450 and then for me to find £250 to buy myself out of this contract.  Playing Devil's advocate I called the Buy Back Team and they offered me £150!!! for an unopened brand new Sony Xperia Z!! which I am to take delivery of within half hour to replace the second faulty one which I dont want but am forced to keep!!  VODAFONE YOU ARE GREAT WHEN YOU ARE GOOD BUT YOU REALLY ARE HORRID WHEN YOU ARE BAD.  STOP LOSING CALLS, LOGGED NOTES, PHONE RECORDS AND STOP THE DELAY TACTICS TO TRY TO ENSURE YOUR CUSTOMER IS OUTSIDE OF THE 7 DAY RETURN POLICY!  I WOULD LIKE A SENIOR MANAGER TO SIMPLY APPLY SOME COMMON SENSE TO THIS AND SAY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH - LET'S HONOUR THIS LOYAL CUSTOMER'S GENUINE COMPLAINT, ALLOW HIM TO RETURN THE PHONE (s) AND STAY WITH VODAFONE ON A 30 DAY SIM ONLY DEAL ON THE TARRIF HE THOUGHT HE WAS GETTING!!

Message 20 of 21 (4,207 Views)