You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
Traceyjr
Accepted Solution

Buy Back Return Question

As I really couldn't get on with my iPhone I decided to buy a PAYG Samsung Galaxy S3 from my local Vodafone store.  As part of that I traded in my iPhone 4S.

I'm now unsure if I have bought the right phone and I'm considering returning it for a refund (I am within the 7 days), using my husband's old phone and thinking about what phone I want.

My question is what will happen to the discount from the Buy Back?  The phone was £425 with £169 Buy Back discount so will I get the refund for the full £425?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 16 (2,603 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster
Pizzaforever

Re: Buy Back Return Question

Yes, you will get the full balance of the phone refunded as they are 2 separate transactions, a charge for the phone and a credit for the buyback. You can confirm this with the buyback team by dialling 54321 from your handset during working hours
Message 2 of 16 (2,596 Views)
Traceyjr

Great, thank you!

Message 3 of 16 (2,591 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster
Pizzaforever

Your welcome! :smileyhappy:
Message 4 of 16 (2,589 Views)
Traceyjr

An update - I went into the Vodafone store today and, guess what, returning the phone isn't straightforward!

As the phone was partly paid for by Buy Back I can only have a refund for the cash portion. I then have to contact the Buy Back team and request the return of the phone and they will send me an iPhone 4S but they couldn't tell me how long this would take. I understand the reasoning for this but I'm not happy as, when I bought the phone, I was told that I had 7 days to return the phone and wasn't told about Buy Back issue.

I have been thinking of leaving Vodafone when my contract is up and this is reinforcing my decision - the only Vodafone staff who know what they are talking about are the Tech Team. Customer Services and in store staff are pretty hopeless!
Message 5 of 16 (2,548 Views)
Traceyjr

Re: Buy Back Return Question - Unable to contact Buyback team

Well it gets better - I am unable to contact the Buyback team!  I have tried phoning 54321 and it doesn't even ring and I have also tried the 0845 number which rings once and then cuts off.  I am really not happy with this - Vodafone has my money and my phone and I want a phone returned to me as per the terms and conditions!

Could someone please sort this out for me?  I will remain a Vodafone customer as I have an iPad plan with you but I am in the process of moving my phone number to O2 - the number port is scheduled for tomorrow.  I hope this doesn't mean that Vodafone will mess me around over the return of my phone but who knows...

Message 6 of 16 (2,475 Views)
Traceyjr

Well I've finally managed speak to the Buyback team and been told that they can't return my phone as it's not something they can do!  So who the hell can return the phone - as far as I'm concerned this is theft as it's in the Ts & Cs that I can request a phone.  I am going into store after work tonight and someone can sort this mess out.

Message 7 of 16 (2,465 Views)
Traceyjr

And how do I unmark this as problem solved as it definitely isn't solved!

Message 8 of 16 (2,459 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Andy

Hi Traceyjr,

We’ll need to look into this for you.

See how to get in touch with us here.

Thanks,

Andrew

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 9 of 16 (2,416 Views)
Traceyjr

Hi Andrew, I also posted on Twitter and I sent an email this morning - the reference number is 11818700.  Do you need me to email again or will you be able to trace this?  The subject was WRT165.

Thanks!

Message 10 of 16 (2,410 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Andy

Hi Traceyjr,

I’ve checked for you found the email you sent this morning.

It’s in our queue so there’s no need to email us again.

We’ll be with you as soon as we can.

Cheers,

Andrew

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 11 of 16 (2,402 Views)
Traceyjr

I've received a reply from the Tech Team and I feel that Vodafone is washing their hands of this.  The 'solution' is to go back into store and ask to speak to a manager as it's regarding a PAYG handset.  It may be a PAYG handset but I am a contract customer with Vodafone! 

Even if I do go into store I very much doubt I'll get anywhere.  The people I have spoken to in store have spoken to their manager and apparently they don't know what to do either and said I have to speak to the Buyback team who also can't help!  Every time I go to the store it costs me money to park and I don't see why I should keep paying for Vodafone's incompetence.

I've asked for the address to escalate this and I'll take it from there.  The money involved is a small amount to Vodafone but I need it back.

Message 12 of 16 (2,357 Views)
Traceyjr

Just to add to this, there is no point in me going into store as I was told that they need to speak to the Buyback team who are only available Monday to Friday, 9.00am-5.30pm.  I work Monday to Friday 8.30am-5pm...

Message 13 of 16 (2,336 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Dave

Hi Traceyjr,

I think I've worked out where part of the confusion has come from. Rather than being the normal Buyback scheme, which would see you sending the phone off and receiving a payment or voucher, you've used the Buyback contribution option.

This is why the two transactions aren't separate, but this isn't a situation I've had come up before.

I can see that one of my colleagues has the latest email you sent in their box, so they'll be in touch to help with this ASAP. I'm confident we can help get this tidied up for you.

Dave

Message 14 of 16 (2,320 Views)
Traceyjr

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply.  I have received an email from Vishal and I will be sending the receipt as requested.  I'm having a problem with my scanner at the moment but I will do it as soon as possible.  I don't have the original purchase receipt as the store didn't return it to me (I didn't realise until I got home) but I have the return receipt which shows the cost of the phone, the buy back value and the refund amounts - I hope that will be ok.

Message 15 of 16 (2,308 Views)
Traceyjr

I've had a reply from the team and the Buyback amount is going to be credited to my account and will therefore reduce my final bill.  Fingers crossed this works out ok!

Many thanks to the Tech Team for their help in sorting this out.

Message 16 of 16 (2,236 Views)