You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
skibs222

Do I need to activate new sim/deactivate old sim?

I have just upgraded my Vodafone contract and phone and received my iPhone 5 yesterday, including a new sim as my old one was an iPhone 3GS which has a different sim. I have kept my number (well I am assuming I have because I can't find anything with a new number and the upgraded contract is linked to my old number still) so I think I need to deactivate my old phone or activate my new one? I can't get anything other than 'no service' on my new phone and my old one is working fine. I am guessing there can't be 2 sims active with the same number. How do I go about solving this?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 4 (11,873 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Andy

Re: Do I need to activate new sim/deactivate old sim?

Hi skibs,

When you upgrade, you keep your number yes.

We send out new SIMs inactive for security reasons but it’s a simple process to activate it.

Just login to your My Vodafone and at on the left hand side of the main page, you’ll see a link that says ‘Activate SIM’. Click on this link and you’ll be asked to enter the old SIM number and also the new one.

The activation process is normally quick but can take up to 24 hours. When the new Sim is activated, it will automatically deactivate the old one.

Let me know how you go on.

Thanks,

Andrew

If you have the time, would you be able to complete a short feedback survey for me? You can find it here and it’ll go to ensuring I’m offering the best service I can.

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 2 of 4 (11,792 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
pauldr1969

Thank you for your advice, I also need to activate a new SIM. Unfortunately the requirements do seem to fall over when it is a SIM being replaced as the phone has been lost!

In the swap process you are asked for the old SIM number...clearly if the phone and SIM is lost we do not have that number(and I doubt many people know their SIM?). We are unable to find any details on our account regarding the old SIM as it has been reported lost and blocked?

I am at a total loss to be honest...surely this can be taken care of by account login to my vodafone...vodafone will know the number of the new SIM and it should be a simple transition to that that SIM for our contract number that needs to go on it! Come on, think about this and make it possible through account management online!

Message 3 of 4 (8,139 Views)
Rank 33: Scholar II
Getafix

[ Edited ]

You can get from your My Account. Click on Manage my settings and the old SIM card number is the second line on the my Setting Page. Copy it and you can paste it on the SIM Swap form.

If you have more than one phone, you will have a drop down Menu listing all the number. You can select the one you need.

Message 4 of 4 (8,132 Views)