Support:

Pay monthly services

Ask a question:
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
Welshman1982
Accepted Solution

Do Vodafone offer Capping?

Hi folks.

I've been looking around at the various contracts available elsewhere and one new thing I've noticed being offered by a couple of networks is Tariff Capping. Is this something (or something similar) that Vodafone offer?

I can certainly see the advantages of this especially if a pay monthly contract is given to someone who doesn't want t over spend each month by going over their minutes, text or data allowance. Same would also be true if you were unfortunate enough to have your phone stolen. The thief wouldn't be able to rack up a huge phone bill if your tariff had a cap applied to it.

In conjunction with this capping, you've the option to put a top up amount on your pay monthly account. Say for instance you broke down in the car and had to call an 08 number for assitance. If your capped then you can't as 08 numbers are chargeable and not free (usually) unless you've added funds by way of a top up feature.

It would be nice to know if this is something that Vodafone currently offer or is it something that maybe in the pipe line so to speak.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 8 (5,360 Views)
Rank 47: Master I
AnnS

Re: Do Vodafone offer Capping?

Hello Welshman1982

This question has been asked previously on the forum.  Here is one other previous thread, but there are others.

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Services/How-to-setup-a-spending-limit-per-month/td-p/107...

It is the customers responsibility to manage their own account and know how much of the allowance has been used during the month which is the reason why contract are not given to the under 18s and this is easily done through the online account and from the free 44555 text.

To prevent a large bill for overseas calls and premium rate services there is the International calling and premium rate number call bar which can be added to an account.  The bar would give peace of mind should the phone be stolen and can be added and removed from the online account or by calling Customer Services who will place the bar on the network.

Ann
Message 2 of 8 (5,356 Views)
donnyguy

Hi there,

Interesting question you asked but no, VF-UK don't offer this feature. Shane really as a lot of parents would benefit from this as they buy connections for their kids knowing they can't run up huge bills.

I know other networks do offer this. But all it means that VF can't appeal to that section of the market.

Vodafone in Greece offer exactly that service called 'Karto-programma' which is basically you pay your monthly fee and get your allowances. Then when you've used them all, you can top up using their recharge cards.

It's not something I'd be interested in as a product but do think VF could get more people onto contracts and tied in for minimum terms if they explored this possibility.
Message 3 of 8 (5,352 Views)
Welshman1982

Thanks for the replies. I'm aware of the online account option but it's not ideal. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's anything but quick when trying to change between each of the three contracts on my one account one by one. The original contract details only are displayed once first logged in. Try to select one of the other numbers and you can be met with nothing but a forever taking page which may or may not load. 44555 would be better if it gave you the details of the usage of all of the contracts on your account instead of just the one your currently calling from. The same can be said about the Vodafone iPhone app, again, you only get to see details of the phone your on and not all of the ones on your contract. If either of these services included all of your numbers which are on your account then yes it'd be much better in my opinion. Recently a relative had their phone stolen whilst out and about. They contacted the network provider asap (who it turned out did diddly squat) next thing they know a decent sized bill had been run up mainly just due to the data charges. This is my biggest fear at the moment. When I'm out on my own, if mine was to be stolen then I could easily be in the same boat. Due to the style of my wheelchair I'd be unable to get into a phone box to call Vodafone to put stop on my phone and Vodafone stores are like the local police stations, very few and far between. Some kind of capping/limiting facility would be the simplest alternative/option for me. The only reason I have more than one number on my account is because it works out cheaper thanks to the multi line type discount. It's a shame nothings available. Thanks.
Message 4 of 8 (5,342 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
paul_gregg

I am also interested in a response to this question. As in December, my daughter's normally £10.50/pm pay-monthly came in at £90 :smileysad:

Further, the older threads have been made irrelevant by the fact that in March 2012, Ofcom said that if the mobile operators don't voluntarily put measures in place to limit bill shock, then they would impose measures. Therefore, Vodafone have to at least be thinking about this *right now*
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/mar/09/ofcom-mobile-phone-bill-shock

Message 5 of 8 (5,330 Views)
Welshman1982

Surely after Paul_greggs post this isn't solved? I also asked if there was anything similar in the pipe line. That's not been answered.
Message 6 of 8 (5,288 Views)
Rank 32: Scholar I
SynthFG

paul_gregg wrote:
I am also interested in a response to this question. As in December, my daughter's normally £10.50/pm pay-monthly came in at £90 :smileysad:

Further, the older threads have been made irrelevant by the fact that in March 2012, Ofcom said that if the mobile operators don't voluntarily put measures in place to limit bill shock, then they would impose measures. Therefore, Vodafone have to at least be thinking about this *right now*
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/mar/09/ofcom-mobile-phone-bill-shock
Yes voda and the rest are thinking about it but it's not in place yet,
For now the best way to keep control of a childs usage is to, put them on a PAYG plan, you can link a credit or debit card to the acount so that they can top up if they need to but this way spending more money is a deliberate action rather than something that can be done by accident

Note I do not work for voda, Nor now am I a customer
My advice comes from experience and my opinions are my own
Message 7 of 8 (5,283 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
nickshah

I had manged to put a cap on my account only to be told that its only in place for 3 months as per their fine print. Surely Vodafone is racing faster then Ussain Bolt to be a dinasour.
Message 8 of 8 (5,092 Views)