Support:

Pay monthly services

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
metanome

How is this good business?

So like many of you I was disappointed to find my upgrade date had changed but I want a new phone. Now instead of paying Vodafone for an upgrade and extending my contract, I have put my two HTC phones onto ebay (currently have bids over £300 for them) and when they sell I will pay the remaining money to purchase an unlocked HTC One. When my contract expires with Vodafone, I'll change supplier, probably keep my unlocked phone if it's any good and sell my new suppliers phone on ebay as well, so hopefully in effect I won't have paid anything out at all and I'll have a new phone. O2 or Orange will have a new customer. Vodaphone will have lost an upgrade payment and a customer. Tell me Vodafone, how is this a good business plan on your part? I haven't studied economics at uni but I'm pretty sure it's not a good one is it?

Everyone else I suggest you do the same thing. Ebay your current phones and anything else you can part with. Buy an unlocked phone or even just something to keep you going until your contract ends, then move supplier. To one that doesn't lie about upgrade dates ("but we haven't done anything that wasn't in the very small print").

Message 1 of 10 (2,143 Views)
Rank 44: Oracle III
Nabs

Re: How is this good business?

metanome,

By changing the recent early upgrade dates Vodafone has done nothing wrong and has not lied to customers. Nowhere in your contract does it state that you can upgrade early. In fact your upgrade date is the day on which your contract ends, i.e. 18 or 24 months after you started the contract.

Remember no other UK networks offers early upgrades!

Also if you are buying a handset outright there would be no point in getting a handset on contract as this would just give you extra cost. You would be better moving to a SIM only contract

Find this post useful? Give it the thumbs up below!

Message 2 of 10 (2,104 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
simax

Sorry I need to correct you there.

Orange offers 2 options for upgrades.

1) If you upgrade within the last 3 months of your contract, you simply pay the normal upgrade prices and have the remaining contract period added to your new contract.

2) Orange now also allow you to upgrade after being connected for 6 months - as long as you pay the line rental for the remaining period of your contract term, minus a large percentage (I think its 30-40%) off the total fee. This will not add on the remaining time onto your new contract.

Message 3 of 10 (2,094 Views)
Rank 29: Mentor III
Magicman13

The 2nd option you have stated is just simply buying out the contract. that is not really an upgrade is it?

You could buy out the Vodafone, or any other networks contract and then get a new handset,

it is still not contractual and if you have a look at the Vodafone terms and conditions, there is absolutly zero small print.

it states that you may renew the contract on the last day of your existing agreement.

That is the problem with goodwill gestures, they stop becoming gestures as soon as customers such as yourself then expect to get them all the time.

This is why networks are starting to remove these offers.

Respice post te, mortalem te esse memento
Message 4 of 10 (2,090 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
simax

Yes but option 2 gives a huge discount for doing so. Voda don't offer that :smileyhappy:
Message 5 of 10 (2,087 Views)
Magicman13

Orange offer early upgrade at 6 months with a discount of 33% towards the cancellation fee so lets say you have 6 months left at £35 per month, that leaves a cancellation fee including the 33% discount of £168 payable immediately. So yes, you can upgrade early but is that worth paying so much out upfront for the privilege?

Message 6 of 10 (2,082 Views)
Rank 44: Oracle III
Nabs

[ Edited ]

simax wrote:
Sorry I need to correct you there.

Orange offers 2 options for upgrades.

1) If you upgrade within the last 3 months of your contract, you simply pay the normal upgrade prices and have the remaining contract period added to your new contract.

2) Orange now also allow you to upgrade after being connected for 6 months - as long as you pay the line rental for the remaining period of your contract term, minus a large percentage (I think its 30-40%) off the total fee. This will not add on the remaining time onto your new contract.

Both option 1 and 2 here are essentially the same forms of buying out your contract, not a free early upgrade that Vodafone offers at 50 days

simax wrote:
Yes but option 2 gives a huge discount for doing so. Voda don't offer that

And Vodafone does offer a discount if you choose to buyout the remainder of your contract.:smileyhappy:

Orange also expect an upfront fee for the handset when you upgrade early, early upgrade through Vodafone will not require payment for handset (depending on the tarrif you choose)

Find this post useful? Give it the thumbs up below!

Message 7 of 10 (2,068 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
metanome

Interesting. Not in the small print, however it was one of the selling points made by staff in the Vodaphone shop. So you are telling me they mis-sold the item. Thanks that's very useful information.

Message 8 of 10 (2,040 Views)
Magicman13

Far from it really. The information that you was given was correct at the time when you signed the agreement, but as it is not included in the contract or T+C's then Vodafone reserve the right to withdraw the offer at any time without giving notice.

So in short, No you were not mis-sold the c ontract, you were given advice on a service which has since been withdrawn.

Message 9 of 10 (2,034 Views)
Rank 9: Helper III
danielp808

Letting you start a new contract before they have made profit on the previous one isnt great business sense either.

What Vodafone is standard accross the board, the way you have suggested obtaining your phone is a good plan, no need to change network though as you will only find yourself in the same situation (or worse) with any network.
Message 10 of 10 (2,016 Views)