Support:

Pay monthly services

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
westie1990
Accepted Solution

How much does it cost to text someone who's abroad?

I am a 'sim only' customer and have unlimited texts and 300 minutes and vodafone passport. I am wondering how much it will cost me to text my friend abroad, or whether my plan covers texts that are sent abroad. The number I will be texting is a UK number. Also, will it cost them to recieve the texts/calls that I send?
Thanks, Joe.
Message 1 of 26 (114,747 Views)
Rank 49: Master III
AnnS

I am a 'sim only' customer and have unlimited texts and 300 minutes and vodafone passport. I am wondering how much it will cost me to text my friend abroad, or whether my plan covers texts that are sent abroad. The number I will be texting is a UK number. Also, will it cost them to recieve the texts/calls that I send?
Thanks, Joe.

You are able to call or text a UK mobile number anywhere internationally and the cost will come out of your inclusive allowance.

It is free to receive a text but the person receiving a call will have to pay a roaming fee (75p on Passport).
Ann
Message 2 of 26 (114,747 Views)
westie1990

Awesome :), thanks ann.
Message 3 of 26 (114,747 Views)
Rank 23: Tutor II
Myrm

Awesome :), thanks ann.

I told Ann to say that :lol:
Myrm
----------
DERMY BUD
Message 4 of 26 (114,747 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Dave

Hi westie1990,

I see AnnS has stepped in with the information you needed - Thaks AnnS!

The only time this won't be the case is if you're abroad as well - if that;'s the case then you're roaming, and the relevant roaming charges will apply.

DaveN

eForum team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 5 of 26 (114,747 Views)
willjg10

So can I just confirm, I am on a contract with unlimited texts, so if I was to text someone abroad, in this case spain, will it cost me anything?

Thanks
Message 6 of 26 (114,747 Views)
willjg10

Hi westie1990,

I see AnnS has stepped in with the information you needed - Thaks AnnS!

The only time this won't be the case is if you're abroad as well - if that;'s the case then you're roaming, and the relevant roaming charges will apply.

DaveN

eForum team

So can I just confirm, I am on a contract with unlimited texts, so if I was to text someone abroad, in this case spain, will it cost me anything?

Thanks
Message 7 of 26 (114,748 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Reidar

Hello Wilsy

That's correct, if you have unlimited texts any messages sent to their number will be as though you are texting them in the UK, this applies to their UK number (the recipient), in other words as long as their number is a UK number the network will look at it as a local sms. You would need to be texting from the UK.

I hope that helps to clear things up.

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team

Message 8 of 26 (114,748 Views)
Dylansnana

Re: How much does it cost to text someone who's abroad?

Received todayfrom Vodafone  in response to an email I sent regarding texting someone in Afghanistan......

"Texts

Standard texts to the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are taken from your monthly allowance. Texts to all other countries cost 24p a message.

Your patience and cooperation is highly appreciated in this matter."

So.....Which is right? This stream or Vodafone Customer Services?????????????????

Message 9 of 26 (98,627 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

[ Edited ]

Hi Dylansnana,

Thanks for your post.

If you are in theUKand sending a text to anotherUKmobile number who is abroad then you won’t be charged anything as it will come out of your allowance.

If you are in theUKand texting an international number (nonUK) this will be charged at 24p per message.

If you are abroad and texting any number you will be charged 24p per message.

The only difference is if you have opted into EuroTraveller where you pay £3 per day to use your allowance abroad.

I hope that this clears everything up for you.

James

If you have any comments regarding how I have handled your query today, please complete our short feedback survey.

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 10 of 26 (98,434 Views)
kirstyc24

My friend is going abroad and they are taking their uk phone they are going to Greece and I am with Vodafone will it cost me to text them ??
Message 11 of 26 (89,266 Views)
Rank 46: Oracle V
jeffkinn

There is no extra cost to you. As long as you are sending a text to a UK number the physical location of that phone makes no difference to you.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 12 of 26 (89,263 Views)
kirstyc24

So it won't cost me any extra even though I'm texting abroad ? To a uk phone ? I get unlimited texts with my contract so will it just come out like a normal text and cost no extra ??
Message 13 of 26 (89,135 Views)
Tech Team
Simon

Hi kirstyc24

That's right. You're texting a UK phone number so regardless of whether that phone is in the UK or abroad, you would not be charged any extra and you'll be billed for texts as normal.

Thanks

Simon 

Message 14 of 26 (89,038 Views)
Giggsy

Hi,
I'm confused, I no it doesn't take much!!'
I'm texting to a phone in Spain from the uk, both phones are not Vodafone. Will this come out of my contract or will I be charged more??? I was told by customer services that both phones have to be Vodafone for your contract to count, otherwise it will cost 24p a text.
Please help
Message 15 of 26 (45,865 Views)
jeffkinn

Re: How much does it cost to text someone who

Once again, and not for the first time, customer services are talking rubbish. If both phones are UK mobile phones the texts will not cost you anything. It is the nationality of the phone that matters, not where they are physically located.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 16 of 26 (45,861 Views)
Rank 23: Tutor II
Myrm

Re: How much does it cost to text someone who

[ Edited ]

jeffkinn wrote:
Once again, and not for the first time, customer services are talking rubbish. If both phones are UK mobile phones the texts will not cost you anything. It is the nationality of the phone that matters, not where they are physically located.

Jeffkinn, yes if the phones are both UK phones but the poster says both phones are not VF but desn't say if one is UK and the other Spanish. Therefore if one phone is a British netowrk and the other on a Spanish network?  If so, then it will cost to send a text to a foreign phone.  If I text my friend in Sweden from my VF UK phone to his Telenor Sweden phone then it costs me as it is not included in my inclusive texts.  I think you need to be clearer.

Myrm
----------
DERMY BUD
Message 17 of 26 (45,854 Views)
Giggsy

Sorry both phones are uk phones, thx for quick replies.
Message 18 of 26 (45,847 Views)
jeffkinn

I'm texting to a phone in Spain from the uk, both phones are not Vodafone. 

I have taken what was said here and assumed that the phone in Spain comes from the UK. If however the phone in Spain is not from the UK then it will cost money to text it. Having looked at it again the original question is ambiguous so perhaps clarity on the nationality of both phones would be useful. Also if neither of them are Vodafone I'm not sure why the question  is being asked here.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 19 of 26 (45,843 Views)
jeffkinn

OK - so I was right. 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 20 of 26 (45,842 Views)