Support:

Pay monthly services

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
Christow

If I cancel contract by using pac code is there still a 30 day cancellation period?

Hi there,

So my next bill is due to go out on 9th May 2012...but I want to cancel my vodafone contract, quite frankly I've never experianced service as bad as vodafones and I will be telling everyone I know in the future not to go with you. In MANCHEStTER, which has the biggest student population in the UK in fallowfield, almost everywhere I walk I have one bar of GPRS signal, and in my house I get NO SIGNAL ANYWHERE. I don't understand how Vodafone do not want signal in this area, students are one of your main customers for usage yet you just ignor them.

Anyway, enough said....

Basically I want to know, say if I used my PAC code on the 6th May, would I get charged for the month of June because I didn't give 30 days notice? Or does it cancel IMMEDIATELY when you use your PAC code? So my last bill would be the 9th May?

However if I only sent an email on the 6th May saying I wanted to cancel and didn't use my PAC code immediately, would I have to pay June aswell as you have to give 30 days notice?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Message 1 of 14 (3,913 Views)
Rank 29: Mentor III
Magicman13

Re: If I cancel contract by using pac code is there still a 30 day cancellation period?

You don't need to give 30 days notice, but your pac is only valid for 30 days so needs to be used within this time. if your number ports over before the end of your contract date then you will still have to pay the remaining period on your final bill.

Respice post te, mortalem te esse memento
Message 2 of 14 (3,904 Views)
Tech Team
Ben_H

Re: If I cancel contract by using pac code is there still a 30 day cancellation period?

[ Edited ]

Hi Christow,

Thanks for posting. It's unfortunate to hear you're struggling with signal. Manchester is quite a well supplied area as you can see in our coverage maps. If there was a lack of coverage all over such a busy area, you can be assured there would be a lot more people posting about it. :smileywink:

Have you had a chance to try a different Vodafone SIM card or your SIM in a different device? SIM cards age just like phones and need replacing over time and the antennae strength on a mobile phone can vary from model to model. If you get to try the suggestions above and decide you'd like to stay with us once you've diagnosed your problem, you're more than welcome to speak to my team about an upgrade. I've sent instructions on how to reach us directly via Private Message. You can find your PM inbox here. :smileyvery-happy:

Many thanks to MagicMan13 for his speedy response too. :smileyhappy:

Cheers, Ben 

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 3 of 14 (3,876 Views)
Christow

Well almost all my friends I talk to that are on Vodafone say the same thing: it is AWFUL!!! I guess not enough people complain.

I can assure you that my postcode on the coverage checker has the 'good indoors' colour all around manchester and zoomed in on the area I live too. As he BBC survey on mobile data in the UK showed: all the providers maps on their sites are LIES!!! How Vodafone can continue to defend it is beyond me. If you are so confident, I simply ask you to come down to my house and I will show you I get no signal ANYWHERE inside!! And no I would not want to install a 'sure signal' device....I live in the CITY...I pay vodafone to provide a service: ie. invest in enough mobile masts....it is not my responsibility to pay you to help increase my signal through sure signal!!

And I can assure you it's not my phone or simcard 110% lol because on the DAY i got my phone 18 month ago, despite checking coverage for my area, I was getting GSM signal (medieval times signal) on my Blackberry Bold 9700 which is meant to be able to get 3g....I tried to get out of my contract on the day I bought it...Of course Vodafone would have non of it and said unless there was no signal at my address then I couldn't get out of the contract...of course your coverage map showed I would get greattt signal which is all lies hahahahhaha! If your so confident, send an engineer to my area and we will look at my signal...not on a big machine that does it and clearly the results are biased for....AN ACTUAL MOBILE PHONE that uses the signal....and you will soon see there is NO signal!!

This is the honest truth, the only way I would go with vodafone again is if they payed me.....and that wouldn't be to use you...it would just be so I could spend the money you were paying me to get a contract with someone else for free!!!

I'd rather not use PM thanks, I think it's only fair everyone gets to read this, we should not hide vodafones problems through PMs.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 14 (3,860 Views)
Tech Team
Dave

[ Edited ]

Hi Christow,

The reason for the PM is purely for security as, in order to access your account, we'd need details which we can't ask you to post on a public forum. As such, the PM advises us the best ways to get us the details we need. Rest assured it's not an attempt to hide any issues.

It is not unusual for an area to have strong 2G coverage but less 3G, and the coverage maps are split to show signal strength in two ways - data (which for optimum use requires 3G) and calls/texts (services which can operate on 2G or 3G). This is, as you say, less likely in cities, however if there are large buildings obstructing masts or building materials used which block signal, this can be something which is more difficult to avoid. 

We are constantly updating the network, so please don't assume that we just leave areas as they are because they have "some” signal. If you can confirm a general postcode as a starting point, I'd be happy to take a closer look at the area to see if there are any issues, what the current signal and traffic levels are like, and if there is anything which catches the eye.

Dave

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 5 of 14 (3,825 Views)
Christow

Oh come on....don't try and provide excuses....for my area the coverage map says I should have the highest speed data INDOORS and the best signal for calls INDOORS!!! Please do not try and justify me getting at the best of times...1 BAR OF GSM SIGNAL!!! 

The best bit is the coverage map literally says it will be the best signal for both for miles and miles around...how can you have such an inacurate map? My postcode is M14 6LQ....and yes it will say I should get full signal, but please don't accuse me of lying.

I am so confident that I would be happy for you personally to come down and meet me and I will show you just how bad it is. Maybe we could set the house on fire and you could call the fire brigade off my phone to come and save us....all i'd say is come with an extra phone that's not on vodafone because i'd never trust vodafone!

Speaking of emergency services, this bit is amusing on your website 'We’re the network of choice for many of the UK’s emergency services. Ambulance, police and fire services know they can rely on us.'....Please, I beg for everyones safety in Manchester you do not let them use your signal, if that was the case we would living in the stone age.

As I say it is the largest student population in the UK!!! It is in Vodafones best interest to have 100% perfect signal in this area, now obviously your coverage maps say it should be fantastic signal here, however maybe common sense should be used sometimes to realise a little computer created map does not represent reality.

Message 6 of 14 (3,774 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Hi Christow

We cannot guarantee signal indoors, no mobile network can. The frequencies used in GSM/2G network technology are generally good at building penetration. However, due to the shorter wavelengths of 3G signal, there can sometimes be cases when problems with receiving 3G indoors can arise.

2G should be good at your location. Can you confirm that if you stand outside of your house, are you able to get signal?

3G is a little patchy around your postcode however, 3G strength around your general area is very good.

One of the main reasons we have the Sure Signal device (besides providing signal to customers who would normally get none) is that they can be used to combat customers who have problems with poor signal penetration within their homes.

I would highly recommend getting one as they will provide great 3G coverage indoors.

Thanks

Wayne

Message 7 of 14 (3,713 Views)
Christow

I know you can't guarantee signal indoors, that would be ludicrous, If i was in a 10m squared steel box I wouldn't expect to get signal. It's the fact that my friends on o2, tesco, tmobile, orange, 3, giff gaff ALL get ATLEAST 5 FULL BARS on GPRS and most get full 3g signal......now tell me...in your honest opinion...does that indicate to you that I am living in a steel box or there is something fundamentally wrong with your network coverage in the largest student population town in the UK? 

And I don't care about 3g signal in my house, I am connected to the WIFI for any internet based activity on my phone....all i want is to be able to make a simple call, funnily enough, i just ended a call and the person I was speaking to was saying how bad their signal was....they were in WALES of all places, and I had to tell them, no no, it's not your signal, unfortunately it's mine, i'm on vodafone in one of the biggest cities in the UK and I don't get signal....don't worry your Welsh village signal is fine on T-Mobile.

"We cannot guarantee signal indoors, no mobile network can. The frequencies used in GSM/2G network technology are generally good at building penetration." - Yes I know this and how signal works, but how are you making this invalid point when on the map it says I should get GOOD SIGNAL INDOORS (the highest tier) for calls and texts - If the map said there would be LIMITED COVERAGE (the bottom tier) then you could make the argument that you can't guarantee signal indoors....if this is the case then I request that you change the map for my postcode to LIMITED COVERAGE

So you can either tell me that you can't guarantee good signal indoors (and on the coverage map, state LIMITED COVERAGE) - or alternatively, you can tell me you can guarantee good signal indoors (and on the coverage map, state GOOD INDOORS)....you cannot have the best of both worlds. I will let you decide which you want to have, but if there is no resolution to the map then I will be contacting Ofcom with various pieces of evidence I have for false claims. 

FInally I find it insulting that you are now trying to sell me a 'sure signal' product when, and I quote from my previous post "No I would not want to install a 'sure signal' device....I live in the CITY...I pay vodafone to provide a service: ie. invest in enough mobile masts....it is not my responsibility to pay you to help increase my signal through sure signal!!" - the worst part in this entire thread is that you are still trying to keep me as a customer, can you not tell that I would never use vodafone again? That's one of the biggest confusions I have - also the fact that you completely ignored my original and most important question about leaving my contract and the 30 days notice etc - someone else replied - but there was no clarification from your team that this post was infact true...merely a 'thank you' for posting.

So my main questions are:

1) Do you honestly think it's my house when EVERY other network in the country can provide a network in the exact spot where vodafone can't to make a SIMPLE voice call? - Or is it the fact your network is inadequate?

2) What decision are you going to make on the coverage map? Are you going to continue to lie and claim I can get good signal or are you going to tell the trush and put LIMITED COVERAGE for my postcode?....because that is exactly what I have....LIMITED COVERAGE!!!!!!

Message 8 of 14 (3,693 Views)
Magicman13

I'm on o2 and my partners on Vodafone, she gets perfect signal in my house, i get none.

So theres evidence right there that it isn't just Vodafone.

Message 9 of 14 (3,681 Views)
Christow

my argument is the fact that vodafones coverage map states i should get the best signal quality possible....and the fact that all other networks get perfect signal in the area. For this reason then, vodafone cannot claim that the reason I am not getting signal is due to the other things around me. 

I do not deny that some areas you don't get signal - but the fact the coverage map says i should get the BEST signal possible and other networks get perfect signal indicate it is a problem on vodafones behalf and they are misrepresenting things which is illegal. If the coverage map said i would get limited coverage I would not be arguing, but the fact it doesnt is what really annoys me, when clearly everyone else gets perfect signal!!

Message 10 of 14 (3,676 Views)
Magicman13

Coincidentally, the o2 coverage map shows perfect coverage at my postcode, Don't try to make out it is a fault on Vodafones side, as it isn't. yes the maps say "perfect signal" but if you cannot receive reception inside the property then that is out of Vodafones hands. They didn't build the property and have never accessed the building, so how would they know the signal is poor inside. The Maps are for reference based on the signal output strength of the cell sites in the area.

They are not, and never will be 100% accurate.

So in summary, your options would be to either, see out your contract with no signal and pay in full for it, or buy a sure signal box and enjoy the use of the phone at home.

Message 11 of 14 (3,655 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi Christow,

When it comes to signal, we can’t guarantee signal in every location all of the time due to the nature of the mobile network technology.

As mentioned by magicman13, this affects all networks and not just Vodafone in different locations as it will always depend on where the local masts are and the lay of the land in and around your location.

Looking at the postcode in your profile I can see that you should experience very good 2G and relatively good 3G coverage in that area.

Looking at the Postcode in more detail I can see that postcode is quite built up due to all of the halls of residents in this area plus a lot of trees which will all be blocking the signal at your exact location as you are right in the middle of the complex.

Unfortunately we don’t have any control over this and as a result can not be held accountable for this.

The coverage map does display the correct coverage for your area and simply indicates coverage that you should be able to achieve however it does not guarantee that this is the actual coverage due to things beyond our control.

James

Message 12 of 14 (3,636 Views)
Christow

Well James,

Tell me why the coverage map states I should get good coverage, when, and I quote you 'Looking at the Postcode in more detail I can see that postcode is quite built up due to all of the halls of residents in this area plus a lot of trees which will all be blocking the signal at your exact location as you are right in the middle of the complex.'..............

This indicated well enough to me that the coverage for the area is bad.....

And no, there is not many tall buildings, there is ONE building with 18 stories (MASSIVE HEY, it competes with Abu Dhabis best buildings)

It is not just me who gets bad signal for vodafone in this area, it is everyone, my flatmate downstairs has the exact problem!!

All I would like you to do it change the coverage map to 'limited coverage' please - you cannot lie anymore - or shall I just send these messages to ofcom now and I am sure they will prove you are LYING to your customers aout coverage!

finally - just tell me why every other network gets perfect signal in the BIGGEST STUDENT area in the UK (lots and lots of customers for you - why wouldn't you want them) but Vodafone can't even muster up 1 bar of GSM signal? Just tell me that - don't tell me it's an 18 story building in the way because it's not that and we both know it isn't - we aren't talkking about being in the Welsh hills here.

If your using a built up area excuse - Manchester city centre has the tallest residential building in the UK - the Hilton/Beetham tower - and also the entire city is built up - so why does that get good signal?....only 3 miles away from where I live.

EITHER CHANGE THE SIGNAL MAP OR IMPROVE YOUR COVERAGE.

Ofcom here i come.....

Message 13 of 14 (3,557 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

Hi Christow

Thank you for your posts, I understand that this is frustrating for you.

The signal in the area does show as being good however I have asked our support team to investigate this further and as soon as we have any further information we will post back on this thread.

If you believe the coverage checker is inaccurate there is a link to rate the coverage in your area just underneath the map and this is fed directly to our network teams.

We are constantly improving the network and your feedback will help shape the direction we go, the more people that provide feedback the more clear it is to our teams.

Have you tried switching your device to 2G signal to receive a stronger signal to make and receiive calls?

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

Message 14 of 14 (3,507 Views)