Support:

Pay monthly services

Ask a question:
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
mickfarrar

Navigation now available in UK

The latest version of Google Maps - 4.1.1 includes navigation within the UK.
Mick

We have been notified that you have posted content to the Vodafone eForum, which is in violation of the Vodafone eForum Terms and Conditions.
Message 1 of 123 (5,128 Views)
Rank 44: Oracle III
Nabs

The latest version of Google Maps - 4.1.1 includes navigation within the UK.

maps update was available sunday night, guess google switched the servers on last night.

Find this post useful? Give it the thumbs up below!

Message 2 of 123 (5,128 Views)
mickfarrar

Yea - just reading the update from Brut. It should work on all Navigation enabled versions of Maps.

Will wait for Brut's version with multi-touch.
Mick

We have been notified that you have posted content to the Vodafone eForum, which is in violation of the Vodafone eForum Terms and Conditions.
Message 3 of 123 (5,128 Views)
Rank 12: Guide I
NeoBlade

Yeah read the tweet ^_^ Good news though, waiting for the MT version as well as its nice to have it along with all the other features.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy S3

If I have helped you in any way then please click on the star on the left ^_^ Thank you!
Message 4 of 123 (5,128 Views)
Rank 8: Helper II
frostfree

Didn't need to update mine, the navigation option just appeared on current version.

Now I need a car mount, let's check ebay :lol:
Message 5 of 123 (5,128 Views)
zzubnik

Same here, I need a car mount and a car charger. I'm loving the maps, but I wish it had to use less data, I wish a UK map could be pre-installed, like on a TomTom.
Message 6 of 123 (5,128 Views)
NeoBlade

If it was pre-installed then Google would be losing out on revenue. I believe Navigation will soon display adverts, either on route or like Points of Interest as they have big plans for it, as its quite a large bonus point over their rivals Apple, until they themselves start up their own Map service which is coming soon.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I have helped you in any way then please click on the star on the left ^_^ Thank you!
Message 7 of 123 (5,128 Views)
zzubnik

Well, I used it today for a 20 mile journey. It used a considerable amount of data, and rebooted the phone 2/4 of the way through the journey.

I think I'll stick to my Tomtom, but it is a good addition to have, as it can do things that the TomTom can't.
Message 8 of 123 (5,128 Views)
NeoBlade

Nice to see some real-world results though about using it. Tried out CoPilot? It works fairly well on the Magic.

Message 9 of 123 (5,128 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
Roadrunner99

Nice to see some real-world results though about using it. Tried out CoPilot? It works fairly well on the Magic.

I have CoPilot

Tried Google Navigate today. More Accurate than Copilot on my journey from work. I also like the integration into my contacts.

Seemed to use more power than copilot tho.

User interface was more responsive
Message 10 of 123 (5,128 Views)
NeoBlade

I thought CoPilot also works with your contacts? I was told though there was a refresh issue with contact support and CoPilot. I think the fix was simply to go and Edit the contact with location data, add a space, delete it then save :P I've never tried it myself but people seem happy.

Message 11 of 123 (5,128 Views)
zzubnik

I did enjoy the way it can use the street view to show you where to turn. That impressed me. All in all, it's a great addition to the phone, no doubt.

My phone went from 99% battery to 20% battery after about 15 minutes. I think it's time to start considering a car charger!

Question: I thought you could speak "Navigate to *destination*" in the search, and it would launch the app and get directions. Did I dream seeing this in a video from Google some months ago?
Message 12 of 123 (5,128 Views)
frostfree

^^ It works if you do a voice search in Google maps rather than the home screen.

On a separate matter.... spare some thought for Hero users who are still stuck on 1.5
Message 13 of 123 (5,128 Views)
NeoBlade

No you didn't, I remember seeing it as well. Not tested it myself as I've been playing with a different ROM and I've only just found my missing SD Card :P However the feature should be there. Its really good actually at voice recognition.

Message 14 of 123 (5,128 Views)
zzubnik

^^ It works if you do a voice search in Google maps rather than the home screen.

On a separate matter.... spare some thought for Hero users who are still stuck on 1.5

Thanks for the info.

I'm sorry to hear you are stuck on 1.5, that's pretty lame of whoever should have updated it.
Message 15 of 123 (5,128 Views)
NeoBlade

Have you tried using Brut's alt version of the Maps for your Hero? A friend of mine has one and he hasn't got back to me yet about it. Alas you guys are getting an official Android 2.1 Firmware update in June anyway :P

Message 16 of 123 (5,128 Views)
frostfree

No I have the magic so I'm not stuck on android 1.5, but a few friends who got the Hero on my recommendation are :blush:
Message 17 of 123 (5,128 Views)
NeoBlade

Tell them they will be getting the Android 2.1 upgrade in June anyway :P

Message 18 of 123 (5,128 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
Roadrunner99

No I have never managed to get contacts working with Copilot. I have tried a complete reinstallation of Copilot and also the space trick. I does not recognise that I have contacts in my phone.

Its a shame because I like the overspeed warning in Copilot and the views, but the maps and routes are better so far in google navigate.
Message 19 of 123 (5,128 Views)
Rank 44: Oracle III
Nabs

No I have never managed to get contacts working with Copilot. I have tried a complete reinstallation of Copilot and also the space trick. I does not recognise that I have contacts in my phone.

Its a shame because I like the overspeed warning in Copilot and the views, but the maps and routes are better so far in google navigate.

It's says on the copilot site that contacts are n oit compatible with android. shame really, would be a good feature.

Find this post useful? Give it the thumbs up below!

Message 20 of 123 (5,128 Views)