Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
Azassin

No Signal

Hi,

I have been a Vodafone customer for about 10 months now and have nothing but problems with the service at work.

At my home address I browse the net (GPRS) and make telephone calls without a problem. Not a 3G service but also not a major issue given the problems I am having.

I work in Birmingham City Centre (the postcode is the one associated with this eForum account the Vodafone signal checker rates this area as excellent) and my phone is constantly in the SOS status. I am unable to make calls & receive messages. My phone basically is useless during these periods. I am at work for at least 12 hours of the day so it is very frustrating to leave work and be bombarded with texts and missed call messages. There have been particular occasions where my family have not been able to contact me in emergencies – this is not on!

I have contacted the Vodafone customer service teams through various avenues (shop,email & phone)

1)      I have had my phone swapped out.

2)      I have emailed Vodafone’s customer service team who sent me an initial reply with suggestions on how my issue could be fixed. I tried all of their suggestions and replied informing them it hadn’t worked. To which I was sent no reply. I then chased them once again to which my email was batted off to another department who never got back to me.

3)      I have called Vodafone’s customer service line and was informed the technical department were looking into the issue and would contact me in 72 hours and I had no reply (this was a couple of months ago).

It’s got to the point where my phone is useless to me for the majority of the day and I don’t want to pay for a service of which I am no receiving for another 14 months.

Can you please assist me in having this issue resolved? I am out the point now where I feel I will have to contact a consumer watchdog to get myself out of this contract as your team doesn’t seem to want to do anything about my issue. I just want a phone I can use all of the time.

Message 1 of 7 (2,650 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
George

Re: No Signal

Hi Azassin,

Firstly, a very warm welcome to the eForum Family, I only wish it were under better circumstances.

I can definitely understand your frustration here. I've checked the postcode and can see that the coverage should be very good for both 2G and 3G. As you've mentioned that you can get signal elsewhere, I don't think this is going to be SIM or handset related. I've checked the local masts and can't see any problems there either.

Does this issue just happen when you're indoors at work? If so, then there's not a great deal we can do resolve this as it's impossible to ever guarantee indoor coverage as there are so many structural factors that could block the signal from getting through. One thing I would suggest though, is to switch your phone down to 2G only mode, details of how to do this can be found in our Help Centre, just select the model of phone and then network. 2G signal runs on a lower frequency than 3G so is better at penetrating buildings, so this may be a workaround for you.

Failing that, it might be worth seeing if you're able to use a Sure Signal whilst at work. This will provide full 3G signal once setup.

Kind Regards,

George

eForum Team

Message 2 of 7 (2,641 Views)
Azassin

[ Edited ]

It's definetly indoor/outdoor (probably within a 1/2 mile (probably less) radius). It's like a blackspot in Birmingham City Centre.

The funny thing is I work in a building that used to be the Vodafone building :smileyfrustrated: BTW I have spoken to the IT department and they have said I wont be able to use Sure Signal.

Message 3 of 7 (2,631 Views)
Azassin

Any further advice to fix the problem?

Message 4 of 7 (2,596 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Martin

Hi Azassin

As George mentioned that the cell site is working as it should, I am sorry to say there is nothing that I can do that will change the signal in that area.

If you change the phone down to 2G only as George mentioned, you should see a difference with the signal that you would get.

Martin

eForum Team

Message 5 of 7 (2,582 Views)
Azassin

Hi, I have done has instructed but even when I switch down to 2G only the phone remains in the SOS state.

Surely I shouldn't have to put up with a service that is useless for 8-10 hours of the day. I am coming up to a year of having my contract and can't put up with 'not having a mobile phone that works' for another year!

Message 6 of 7 (2,566 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
BenJ

Hi Azassin

Can I just ask what make and model of phone are you using?

All phones vary in anteana quality.  Have you tried a different handset in this area to see if it improves?  Are there any other Vodafone users around you who are having the same problem?

I've looked into the area of your postcode and  agree with George that  I cannot see anything that would be causing this as such.

There is a cell (9608) that is currently under maintenance however I would be very suprised if this was affecting you.

I am going to speak to a network engineer regarding this  issue to see if I can get  more insite to the local area.

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team 

Message 7 of 7 (2,555 Views)