Support:

Pay monthly services

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
simon170

No reward for loyalty??? Pretty fed up...

I just called Vodafone about upgrading my handset, as I've had mine for years now and thought it was time to get a new shiny 4S.

Now, I've been a very loyal customer to Vodafone, having been with them with the same number for about 14 or 15 years now I think, and never even so much as looked at going to another provider, plus my bills have always been high.

My contract ended quite a while ago but I was happy with my Nokia so just carried on, with Vodafone still charging me full wack (have now found out from friends that most networks drop your tarrif or give you credit if you stay on your old phone... not the case here it seems)

So... when I ring up about upgrading my phone, I naturally assume that, my long term loyalty, the fact I havent had a new phone from from them in ages, and I have been paying full rate even when my contract has run its course and the phone has been paid for... will all be taken into account and I'll be offered a good deal as a valued customer, right? Wrong.

Got offered a normal tariff that a new customer can get. Not a thing.

I've been good to Vodafone, and they cant even show a little willing in return :-(

That  doesnt seem right...

Message 1 of 20 (2,917 Views)
C2
Rank 2: First Poster
C2

Re: No reward for loyalty??? Pretty fed up...

in my experience with VF the're only certain people that have the ability to offer deals and work with humanity, your on the right track here though some one should be along shortly...

Message 2 of 20 (2,874 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
ZoeandKev

contact the VF twitter upgrade team...you get better deals from them than online or instore..
Message 3 of 20 (2,862 Views)
Rank 44: Oracle III
Nabs

Hi Simon170,

In most cases your situation would put you in a ver favourable position for getting an upgrade, Unfortunatly though you are looking to upgrade to an iPhone. Due to the high purchase cost to Vodafone of the iPhone the tariffs/handset prices for the iPhone are fixed and therefore there is little or no room to negotiate offers/deals on the iPhone handsets. If you were to choose any other handset you would almost certainly get offered a brilliant deal!

As ZoeandKev mentioned give the guys over on twitter a shout, they may not be able to do much however you cuold give them a shot.

For info on how to contact them head over here and follow the instructions. They are a small and very popular team so they may not reply straight away, stick around though as one of the team will get back to you as soon as they can.

Find this post useful? Give it the thumbs up below!

Message 4 of 20 (2,854 Views)
Tech Team
Amanda

Hi simon1970

Thanks for your post, it’s a shame to see you feel like this. The Apple packages are quite rigid and we are unable to alter the monthly cost or contribution required for the phones.

We can always look at different options i.e. a Nearly New handset which would allow us to reduce either the monthly cost or the contribution price for you.

If you can pop me a reply to the email that I’ve sent you then one of the team will be in touch as soon as we can.

Thanks Nabs, great advice as always!

Amanda

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 5 of 20 (2,842 Views)
simon170

Thanks for the replies.

Amanda, thanks for the email, I have replied with the info you asked for.

Yes, it is shame I feel this way, but I think its justified as I've never had anykind of deal from VF, and I dont feel I've really been looked after as a customer, long term or not.

It wouldnt take much for VF to show some willing on the monthly charge side of things, but we'll see what happens.

Thank you for taking the time to contact me, it is appreciated.

Message 6 of 20 (2,828 Views)
ZoeandKev

[ Edited ]

basically, Apple have networks over a barrel with regard to tarrif's and handset costs as i believe there dertermined by Apple....so no network are able to give much of a discount..if any! Nice to know the handset makers are telling the Networks what to do...( and before anyone says 'the Iphone cost a lot'...yeah, so do other phones...My Nexus S was over £500 to buy when it came out....the new Galaxy Nexus cost that and more to buy outright....yet you can get deals on them?? lol )

Message 7 of 20 (2,819 Views)
simon170

Well we see what happens. I gotta agree with you, all handsets are expensive I don't see why the iPhone is singled out. I think it's just cos it's the most popular. But VF said they are going to call me (thanks to Amanda) so lets see what happens.
Message 8 of 20 (2,809 Views)

The reason it's restricted to the iPhone isn't because it's expensive, it's because it's made by Apple. The Galaxy Nexus is expensive yeah, but it isn't made by Apple. Samsung and HTC and everyone else don't feel the need to force networks to use price plans they supply, and in my opinion they shouldn't. 

Message 9 of 20 (2,797 Views)
Rank 28: Mentor II
biffo1963

This is why I have never bought anything Apple, and couldn't even bring myself to crocodile tears over Steve Jobs.  Basically, Apple's business practices stink.   Resale Price Maintenance has theoretically been illegal in this country for many years  -  you'd never know though !

Message 10 of 20 (2,785 Views)
lolathelma

hi   im upset to just upgraded my phone but forgot to add a promotion code to recive a free voucher !!!!!! when i rang customer service no one could help after being cut off i re rang and was told to cancel my order then re orderi asked ihow to do this and was told "dont exept the phone when its deliverd ive looked on line but can find no way to do this myself  Why ? it was an error i just need some help !!!!

Message 11 of 20 (2,778 Views)
simon170

I recently found out it's because Apple won't subsidise the sale of their hand sets like all the other companies do. No word from VF yet...
Message 12 of 20 (2,735 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Hi lolathelma and welcome to the eForum

To cancel the new upgrade you will need to refuse delivery of the handset. The phone will then be sent back to us and your account will revert to the state before the upgrade. Once this is done, you’ll then be able to upgrade again.

Please let us know when you have done this and we’ll be happy to get in touch to process the upgrade for you.

Thanks

Wayne

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 13 of 20 (2,699 Views)
simax

Just to clarify and quash a rumour..... Apple do NOT dictate the tariffs to the networks.

They do however ensure their equipment costs are high to ensure that the phone is sold with a premium package. Unfortunately this means that in places such as the UK, in order to satisfy demand for the phone and keep custom, the networks try and keep the plans as the same level as a standard plan and take a hit on the profit margins.

On a 24 month contract with an iPhone, the networks don't break even on their investment until month 21. That is crazy, however that is the reason there are no discounts on iPhone packages as to do so would wipe out what small amount of profit they make.

Hope that explains :smileyhappy:

Message 14 of 20 (2,688 Views)
ZoeandKev

by making the handset so expensive, they are effectively dictating that the line rental charges HAVE to be higher to compensate for the handset cost.....so no real difference really..;-)
Message 15 of 20 (2,677 Views)
Rank 28: Mentor II
biffo1963

At the risk of stating the obvious  -  if us sheep didn't blindly buy their stuff regardless of the price, they'd soon change their tune !

Message 16 of 20 (2,667 Views)
aelliott21

What a coincidence!  I have just headed on to these forums to post pretty much exactly the same message, right down to the 15 years loyal custom.  I have tried emailing Vodafone because i have also had the misfortune of a rather rude customer service advisor but their email webform is not working.

Having read through the replies here, am I right in thinking that if I consider a handset other than an iPhone 4S, I have a better chance of some concessions from VF?

Message 17 of 20 (2,656 Views)
simax

Absolutely. Anything other than an iPhone.....

Message 18 of 20 (2,641 Views)
Tech Team
Ian_C

Hi aelliot21,

Thanks for your post.

I’ve sent you an email. Just respond to that and we’ll be happy to get in touch and discuss the options.

We’re a small team, so don’t be concerned if it takes a couple of day to get a response.

Let me take this opportunity to show you how Vodafone like to say thank you; take a look at VIP.

Cheers

Ian

Message 19 of 20 (2,606 Views)
aelliott21

Seems only fair to add a response to this since this has been resolved for me by the tech team.

I had to consider a different handset as they simply cannot negotiate on an iPhone 4S.  They offered a great deal on a Samsung Galaxy S2 which I accepted and I'm very happy with the outcome.

:smileyhappy:

Message 20 of 20 (2,556 Views)