Support:

Pay monthly services

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
kto456dog

Phone broken - No way that I can upgrade early?

Hey guys,

I was wondering whether anyone here may be able to help me.

Over the weekend my phone broke after I dropped it leaving me with an older handset which is unable to do anything which I want it too.

I had an Samsung Galaxy Europa which was lost and I didn't bother with claiming it as I had a iPhone off my mother.

But I called today enquiring and they were saying that I cant touch my contract untill December 22nd and I can't exactly afford to pay the £187 fee to cancel my contract. (Don't exactly want too either!)

So what I'm asking is, is there any way that I can somehow upgrade my contract to £25 p/m and get a new phone before my contract runs out?

Message 1 of 9 (5,014 Views)
Rank 32: Scholar I
SynthFG

Re: Phone broken - No way that I can upgrade early?

Unfortunatly not

Voda have removed any trace of an upgrade before 50 days from contract end over the past few weeks,

The options may or may not return at a later date, but for now you are stuck

Your options at the moment are either  to get a PAYG or sim free phone and use your contract sim in that, or take out a 2nd contract

Note I do not work for voda, Nor now am I a customer
My advice comes from experience and my opinions are my own
Message 2 of 9 (4,958 Views)
kto456dog

The main reason of which I went with Vodafone in the first place is because I was told that they're understanding.

Turns out I was wrong.

Message 3 of 9 (4,952 Views)
Rank 47: Master I
AnnS

Hello kto456dog

It not a case of Vodafone not being understanding, the upgrade period is 50 days before the end of your contract  and your contract probably does not end until the beginning of next year.  Even if Vodafone were able to upgrade your phone, it would mean adding on your remaining months onto the new contract which would make it a very long time before you would be able to get a new subsidised phone and the maximum time for a contract is 24 months.

At the time of starting your contract, you would have been provided with a Samsung Galaxy Europa which would have been subsided and the cost of providing the phone would have needed to have been recovered during the life of your contract, you may have lost the phone, but it still has to be paid for.

Ann
Message 4 of 9 (4,932 Views)
kto456dog

[ Edited ]

Considering that the phone only costs £49.99 in a well known retailer and I pay £20 p/m I think that I've paid it.

Hardly go anywhere near the amount of minutes and texts I'm allowed in terms of limitations.

I've paid for the phone, in fact probably more. Unlike the £2.2bn worth of taxes Vodafone haven't paid HMRC.

Message 5 of 9 (4,923 Views)
kto456dog

And another thing which annoyed me most was when I called 191 and got through to a real person I was told that they couldn't do it because of the "economic situation".

According to Vodafones 2010 Annual Report they made a profit of £7.68bn last year.

Now come on.

Seriously.

Message 6 of 9 (4,916 Views)
Rank 47: Master I
AnnS

The profit Vodafone make is the business of the shareholders who have money invested in the company which goes towards the pensions funds for people just like yourself, who pay into a pension fund out of their monthly salary.

If you had searched the forum and the internet, you would have had answers for the fantasy tax bill which never existed.

Your upgrade period is 50 day before the end of your contract which is the same for all of us and other networks.

Ann
Message 7 of 9 (4,901 Views)
Rank 32: Scholar I
SynthFG

If the phone only costs £50 then go buy one sim free,

It will be far cheaper than any other option that may be available to you

Note I do not work for voda, Nor now am I a customer
My advice comes from experience and my opinions are my own
Message 8 of 9 (4,885 Views)
Rank 27: Mentor I
_365_

when u look at Vodafone's profits u need to remember 2 things - Vodafone UK is a relatively part of Vodafone globally (accounts for something like 5% of their csutomers), and the mobile market in the UK is the most competitive in the world...almost all of that profit comes from the new emerging markets in asia and africa...
Message 9 of 9 (4,881 Views)