Support:

Pay monthly services

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
Mark_Dragicevic

SAMSUNG GALAXY MINI - NO INTERNET WITHOUT WI-FI

Hi,

I have upgraded from a PAYG Samsung S3550 to a Galaxy Mini on Pay Monthly. Everything seems fine except I can't get an internet connection without using WiFi from my PC modem.

I rang customer services twice and they gave me the details to create a new APN which should have worked but didn't.

Then I was told that the SIM I was using was probably too old. However, I was using this SIM on the S3550 to access the internet without a problem.

Can I have some advice on what to do next please?

Many thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 28 (32,810 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Re: SAMSUNG GALAXY MINI - NO INTERNET WITHOUT WI-FI

Hi Mark_Dragicevic and welcome to the eForum

Thanks for your post here. I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with this. I appreciate how frustrating this must be for you.

Can you go through this guide for me and let me know how it goes?

1.Touch the Menu key
2.Touch Settings
3.Touch Wireless & networks
4.Touch Mobile networks
5.Touch Access Point Names
6.Touch the Menu key
7.Touch New APN
8.Touch Name
9.Enter Vodafone Internet, touch OK
10.Touch APN
11. Enter:
For Pay monthly customers: internet
For Pay as you go customers: pp.vodafone.co.uk
12.Touch OK
13.Touch Username
14. Enter web, touch OK
15.Touch Password
16. Enter web, touch OK
17. Touch the Menu key
18.Touch Save
19. Touch the circle to the right of the Vodafone Internet profile name you have just created to
turn it green
20. Press the Home key to return to the home screen
21.Touch Applications
22.Touch Browser
23. Touch the Menu key
24.Touch More
25.Touch Settings
26. Scroll to and touch Set home page
27. Enter http://live.vodafone.com, touch OK.

If you're still having issues after this point can you tell me the exact error message that you see.

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 2 of 28 (32,780 Views)
gazzaw

i have getting as far as number 20 pressing applications but i can not find brouser

Message 3 of 28 (31,224 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

Hi gazzaw.

First and foremost a very warm welcome to the eForum, it is fantastic to see new users here! :smileyvery-happy:

Thank you for your post, I understand it can be frustrating when something just does not want to work.

Have you checked you have the latest updates and settings? These can be found on our help centre:smileyhappy:

I have looked for alternatives for you but the method above posted by Wayne is correct, are you following this step by step as pressing the browser is step 22 in this process.

Let me know how you get on and don't forget to check out Vodafone VIP for the latest news, events and competitions! :smileyhappy:

Many Thanks

DaveCD 

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 4 of 28 (31,185 Views)
lesley14

Hi Wayne

I have followed all of the steps you have stated but i can still not connect to the internet without wifi.

The page is set to live.vodafone.com but when i enter into the page it states " web page not available".

Have you got anymore ideas how i can connect to the internet without wifi as it is very frustrating.

Thanks 

Lesley

Message 5 of 28 (30,923 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hi there lesley14,

Many thanks for confirming that you are still unable to connect to the internet using your handset.

Have you tried any alternative web pages, such as Google, for example? Are you able to use any applications such as Facebook or any others that require internet access?

If the settings are correct then we could be looking at either a localised network issue (which would be apparent as other Vodafone customers would be experiencing the same issue) or it could be network provisioning, in which case we'd need to take a look at your number at network level.

To facilitate this I've just sent an email to your registered eForum address. Please reply with the requested information and we'll be in touch.

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

Message 6 of 28 (30,843 Views)
Rachel11

Hi lee I am having the same issue with my Samsung Galaxy Mini. I've only had it a short time and the Internet connection did initially work but now I can't use it without it being wifi. I followed the instructions above but that hasn't solved the problem. Are you able to help me? Rachel
Message 7 of 28 (30,386 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

Hi Rachel11.

First and foremost a very warm welcome to the eForum, it is ace to see new users here! :smileyhappy:

I have checked your details that you have registered with, unfortunately as there are no address details I am unable to see if it is a Network issue, however if you do update these I would be more than happy to help.

I have also sent you an email to complete and reply to so we can check the provisions at our end.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

Message 8 of 28 (30,320 Views)
eleven

hi there wayne

i also have the same problem with them..i follow the steps but still it doesn't work.
theres a message that always appear 'cannot connect to internet. please check your connection settings and try again.'

what will i do?

thanks for the help!
Message 9 of 28 (30,091 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your posts here. First of all, I would like to apologise for the details of my first post. Upon re-reading this I can see a couple of mistakes with the details.

Firstly,

The APN if on contract should be set to wap.vodafone.co.uk (not ‘internet’)

The reason for this is that the ‘live.vodafone.com’ web address will only work when using the wap.vodafone.co.uk APN.

Secondly, if you are on pay as you go(using the pp.vodafone.co.uk APN), the username and password for the APN should be ‘wap’ (not web). ‘wap’ should also be used for the wap.vodafone.co.uk APN too.

Here is the full setup guide with the amended details :

1.Touch the Menu key
2.Touch Settings
3.Touch Wireless & networks
4.Touch Mobile networks
5.Touch Access Point Names
6.Touch the Menu key
7.Touch New APN
8.Touch Name
9.Enter Vodafone Internet, touch OK
10.Touch APN
11. Enter:
For Pay monthly customers: wap.vodafone.co.uk
For Pay as you go customers: pp.vodafone.co.uk
12.Touch OK
13.Touch Username
14. Enter wap, touch OK
15.Touch Password
16. Enter wap, touch OK
17. Touch the Menu key
18.Touch Save
19. Touch the circle to the right of the Vodafone Internet profile name you have just created to
turn it green
20. Press the Home key to return to the home screen
21.Touch Applications
22.Touch Browser
23. Touch the Menu key
24.Touch More
25.Touch Settings
26. Scroll to and touch Set home page
27. Enter http://live.vodafone.com, touch OK.

Again, apologies for the delay in seeing this little error. Please let me know how you all get on.

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

Message 10 of 28 (29,971 Views)
Rachel11

Hi DaveCD

Apologies for the delay. I have checked my emails and there doesnt appear to be one from you... I have also tried the instructions that were recently posted on the 3rd September but I'm still having no joy with the internet.

I will try updating my details again now with the hope that an email will get through to me and you can see my location.

Rachel

Message 11 of 28 (29,472 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
AndyD

Hi Rachel,

I've just resent the email to the address showing in your profile.

Thanks

Andy

eForum Team

Message 12 of 28 (29,469 Views)
dizzygem27

hi ive just found this page on google, im also having the same problem its driving me mad. i got this phone in may and  had no problems using the internet (im on pay as you go) intill a few weeks ago and now i cant get on the internet inless im using wi-fi. ive tryed the steps and still cant use it. cant get on the vodafone site, facebook google or anything. i keep getting error loading page :smileysad:

Message 13 of 28 (28,538 Views)
dizzygem27

sorry....... hi im gemma lol
Message 14 of 28 (28,536 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Martin

Hi dizzygem27

I think it would be best for us to have a look on your account to see what is happening with this.

If you can reply back to that with the relevant information we can then look into this.

Thanks

Martin

Message 15 of 28 (28,410 Views)
jhheatherfarm

I too have got the same error message when I try to access the internet without using wifi. I have tried your suggested steps above but they have not worked. What do I do? Will you send me an email like you have the others?
Thanks
Jane
Message 16 of 28 (27,743 Views)
beccabe

Hi, There! 

i have the galaxy mini, i've broken mine, so i've brought this one, while waiting for my other to be fixed.......

first time samsung buy :smileysad: i'm having the saming problem, no internet with out wifi. i need my internet i can't live with out it. any advice, would be a big help!  becky. 

Message 17 of 28 (27,583 Views)
beccabe

MINE IS NOW WORKING! 

WITH ME DOING THE FOLLOWING.

HOPE IT HELPS! 

1. Press the Menu button

2. Tap Settings
3. Tap Wireless Controls
4. Tap Mobile Networks
5. Tap Access Point Names
6. Press the Menu key
7. Tap New APN
8. Tap Name and enter a name e.g. Vodafone WAP and tap OK
9. Tap APN and enter
for Pay monthly customers: wap.vodafone.co.uk
for Pay as you go customers: pp.vodafone.co.uk
10. Tap Username and enter wap and tap OK
11. Tap Password and enter wap and tap OK
12. Tap MMSC and enter http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms and tap OK
13. Tap MMS Proxy and enter 212.183.137.012 and tap OK
14. Tap MMS Port and enter 8799 and tap OK
15. Tap MCC and enter 234 and tap OK
16. Tap MNC and enter15 and tap OK
17. Press the Menu key
18. Press Save
How to set the Browsing homepage
1. Press the Menu button
2. Tap Browser
3. Press the Menu button
4. Tap More
5. Tap Settings
6. Scroll to Set home page
7. Enter the URL of the site you wish to set as your homepage
8. Tap OK

Then secondly, make sure that your phone is allowed to use mobile data, by going to;

-Settings
-Wireless & Networks
-Ensure that 'Mobile Network' is ticked.

Message 18 of 28 (27,532 Views)
jquizon

I am having the same problem as mentioned above. i have tried the last post submitted by beccabe but when I save the APN it disappears. When I did not change the MCC and MNC the APN remains but still no connection. Any update on this problem? Thanks in advance guys.

Regrds

J

Message 19 of 28 (23,189 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Martin

Hi jquizon

The settings given above are correct, this sounds like this could be an issue with your phone.

To check if that is the case can you place your SIM card into another phone and see if you can connect to the internet.

If you can this would show that your number and SIM card can connect to the internet, if not then we will need to look at this at a network level.

If you can let us know what the result is of this we can then assist you further.

Thanks

Martin

Message 20 of 28 (23,083 Views)