Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
noush_90

Stolen Phone

I had my phone stolen recently (3 weeks into my 24 months contract!!) and my insurance company have not covered this as it was in a public place which seems ridiculous.

Now I am being left paying £31 pounds a month for a Samsung Galaxy S 2 with internet and all sorts which I can't use as I'm using a very old phone.

I was wondering if there is anything that Vodafone could do about this? I am very grateful for their quick service in blocking the phone and sending me a new sim card.

I would be quite prepared to pay for a new Samsung Galaxy S 2 but as it's £500 on payg I would only be able to do this over a 23 month period and still continue paying my contract? Is this possible or are there any other options?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6 (2,295 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster
hibi

Re: Stolen Phone

Did you report this to the police and gain an incident number?

My daughter had her handbag with her phone inside (iphone) snatched from her hand in a public place, and as she had the incident number the insurance sent her a new one which she paid the excess for.

It might be iphone who insitgated her replacment as they not only locked the phone but also reported to the police where the phone was at.  The thieves smashed it up when they tried to use it and gave their where abouts away. but my daughter was unaware of this until a month or so after she got her replacment.

Do yo have home contents insurance? They may alo be able to get you a replacement phone.

Talk to Citizens advice they maight also help you deal with the insurace company, as it doesn't sound right to me that a public place is an exclusion in the policy.

They would if you left your bag unattended, that I am afraid they won't cough up for.

Message 2 of 6 (2,267 Views)
noush_90

Yes I reported it all. But I left it on the side in a shop for like 5 seconds so this is where they're arguing they won't cover it. Silly of me I know but nothing I can do now.

Was just hoping vodafone could help me somehow even though I know it's within their rights not to !

Message 3 of 6 (2,265 Views)
hibi

Tricky situation.  Did the store not have CCTV, they usually cover the till area so should have seen it being stolen, either by the store assistant or by a customer in the queue or area.

I am surpised they store did not go inot lock down to prevent the theif from leaving with it.  Doubly surprised that the CCTV footage was not asked for by the Police or Insurance Company.  Certainly an avenue that may help break the insurance side of things.

Might also be worth asking to see the Stores Manager about what happened and had any of their staff suddenly gained a new phone same as yours or the CCTV footage to see who took it. If it was the assistant then you gain your phone back, if not and CCTV shows a customer, they can see from their records who brought it,if a credit card was used at that time.  It all helps. But that should have been the insurance company following that up. Ideal situation for them to do that. Also another avenue that you may be alble to sway them with.

The best you might hope for is if Vodafone might downgrade your plan from your current price.  I know some other networks can do this as a good will gesture.  It is up to them.

I would advocate asking Citizens Advice  if they can help with dealing with the insurance company.

Message 4 of 6 (2,261 Views)
noush_90

They did have CCTV but from what I know the only person who could have taken it, it was seen that he put something in his pocket but not showing exactly what.

The police haven't even been to follow up the theft yet and it was 2 weeks ago. so my argument is how can the insurance company even make a decision when it's still not been investigated.

I'm hopinh vodafone will be nice :smileyhappy: 

Thanks for you help!! Really appreciate it

Message 5 of 6 (2,259 Views)
hibi

Ah hah, the insurance company cannot deny you a replacment and dhut the door, as the investigation is pending and open still.

Get back onto the police, ask then to update you off what has/is happening. Ask for a letter confirming that a customer was seen on CCTV putting something into his pocket and becaue of that , that they are investigating it further to rule out the customer did not pocket the phone. The police have the power to search and look for illegal property, A phone is not small change so keep on at them about it.

Ring or write to the insurance company, explain that there is CCTV footage of the event and the police are still investigating it.  As such why are they refusing to honor the policy before the police have resolved or closed the case.

May help to ask to be put through to a higher manger. Also may help writing to the Insurance Omnibusman. They regulate the industry and I am sure that denying to honor a policy ahead of closure of the police invesstigation is against their rules and conduct.

Message 6 of 6 (2,256 Views)