You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 6: Frequent Poster

Unlimited Internet?

What I would like to know is why Vodafone dont offer unlimited internet whereas some of the other networks do.

I dont need 900 mins and umlimited texts on an s3. I need unlimited internet on a data hungry phone. Yes I know I could have gone with Three or T Mobile but they dont offer as good coverage as Vodafone and their CS is useless tbh.

I have the data test drive but I know I will end up using more internet than my allowance lets me and I just want unlimited internet to use as I want with my price plan and not have to pay extra for an extra 250/500mb. 

Any help from anyone will be very helpful!

Message 1 of 31 (18,000 Views)
Tech Team

Re: Unlimited Internet?

Hi sarahsm80,

Thanks for posting. While some customers prefer unlimited data with the other operators out there, a lot of users choose us for both the speed and quality of the service overall. It's one of the main reasons the emergency services choose us as well as the main grounds for us being the number one choice for business and corporate users in the UK.

We look at our offers all of the time, but for the foreseeable future it looks like it's going to be quality over quantity. At the end of your Data test drive, you'll be sent a text with your average monthly usage information on along with recommendations of extra data packages if we think your use reflects a need for them to keep your bill cost as low as possible. :smileywink:

I trust this helps. :smileyhappy:

Cheers, Ben

Message 2 of 31 (17,960 Views)

Well a couple of years ago my bill rocketed in one month so I dont really count on getting low bills once the data test drive is over. I just want unlimited data.

' a lot of users choose us for both the speed'

My internet is slow anyway. 3g doesnt work at all.

Message 3 of 31 (17,944 Views)
Rank 48: Master II

Sarah,

You have answered your own question. The companies like 3 that give unlimited data have poor coverage and rotten CS. Why? Because they don't charge enough to maintain their business to the required level.

Vodafone don't give away unlimited data and thus have a more robust business. 

Data is now the prime driver for a mobile phone business and they have to maintain their average revenue per user. This is a key metric in running and funding a mobile phone busniess these days. I would not expect Vodafone to change their policy any time soon if ever.

It is quite possible to stay within reasonable data limits even on modern data hungry smart phones by using Wi Fi whenever possible.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 4 of 31 (17,939 Views)

What about T Mobile then? How is their CS? They also have unlimited data. Surely they are better than 3 and pretty much on a par with VF. I think they've shot up over the last few years.

Message 5 of 31 (17,928 Views)

Today T Mobile are backtracking on their Full Monty offering. No surprise really. It doesn't make economic sense.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 6 of 31 (17,903 Views)

Hi

Its True, the full Monty has cause more problems than solved,

Also bearing in mind, even for the Data hungry out there it is very hard to hit anything near 3GB in one month, especially if you use WiFi :smileyhappy:

Message 7 of 31 (17,882 Views)

I hardly go over 1gb but since I renewed I got 500mb now so I use wifi as much as I can and now I find myself switching off mobile data so often, more than I did before when I had 1gb on my old contract.

I was told by the sales team android is data friendly and I wont need 500mb. I have used that up already in a week.

I look at emails, phone reviews (cos I have a new phone), daily mail, bbc news nothing major and it eats into my data. I dont tether, I hardly use videos.

T Mobile dont charge for going over the data. They limit it. VF do charge for data and thats what scares me.

So I guess the Full Monty is not what its cracked up to be

Message 8 of 31 (17,876 Views)

News websites and apps are going to be data hungry as they will have lots of images that they like to load. Videos are even worse.

Android is no more or less data friendly than other smart phones. Blackberrys are probably the best as they compress emails thata all come via their own Blackberry servers.

its probaby best to use the BBC and Daily Mail apps rather than browsing to their website - youre probably already doing that.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 9 of 31 (17,873 Views)

Blackberrys are so yesterday.

I just wish VF had unlimited data again. Wouldnt give me so much of a headache each month worrying.

I do use the apps but seems I will get the newspaper now. Cheaper.

Message 10 of 31 (17,863 Views)

No network can sustain unlimited data and make decent returns.

Blackberrys are still great handsets but they will get taken over by someone and will become one of many iconic names that have falled by the wayside like Palm and DEC (need to be old enough to remember DEC)

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 11 of 31 (17,859 Views)

I dont know DEC but I know Decca records :smileyhappy:

Message 12 of 31 (17,853 Views)

I remember them! My sister used to play Decca records on her Dansette record player

DEC was the Digital Equipment corporation which at one time was the second largest computer company in the world with only IBM being larger.

They eventually got purchase by Compaq which in turn was acquired by HP.

I remember working with a DEC PDP11/44 in a huge air conditioned room. My S3 is probably more powerful than that entire system was.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 13 of 31 (17,847 Views)

Amazing how technology has moved

Message 14 of 31 (17,841 Views)

"The Moon Landing in the 60s used less computing power that a iPhone 4,"

not sure how true that is but very believable
Message 15 of 31 (17,832 Views)

Why dont VF limit the data after its used up instead of charging? Hate getting charged and have been stung in the past

Message 16 of 31 (17,677 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi sarahsm80,

Unfortunately when it comes to data usage it would cause more problems than it would solve by doing this and as our billing system can sometimes be up to 72 hours behind there would still be a chance of a charge being applied before the data facility would be stopped.

Can I ask how much data you currently have as part of your price plan and do you often go over your allowance?

Also, do you use the My Vodafone app or the online account to monitor your usage?

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 17 of 31 (17,633 Views)

I didnt say I wanted data stopped I said I wanted it slowed down to avoid being charged. One month a couple of years ago I was charged 3 figures for using data. Shocking.

Yes I go over my allowance which is now 500mb, as I did on my previous contract which was 1gb. I dont use more that 1.3gb. I would be happy with a gig or umliited for free as before on my old contract.

The guy who sold me the phone said android doesnt use much data as Iphone. Liar. Its the same.

I dont go on You Tube (only wifi), I use emails, newspapers, forums like this and Digital Spy and games that use data and I go over each month.

Cant believe I was sucked into signing with VF yet again when other networks have unlimited data.

I also notice on other forums that people never recommend VF. Only 3, or 02 mainly. TMobile and Orange do get mentioned occasionally and VF is always the bottom. I wonder why.

I dont use VF app, I log into my account and use that. Or check the data on an app on my phone.

Maybe you need to update your billing system..........

Message 18 of 31 (17,614 Views)

The lack of more easily available data plans likely going to be one of the reasons I end my contract with Vodafone when I can.

As the OP said, I don't need 900 mintes, I think I use 10% of that, I don't need unlimtied texts (although how hard is it to offer that now a days)

I don't want to have to turn my data (which does actually peform terribly around London to be honest) off.

I will admit I do like data traveller, 25mb in Sweden a day wher eI spend a few week ends a month. But of course, you have removed that.

I don't want ot leave Vodafone (although I can take my number with me that will soften the blow) but without more granular contracts or a contract where I have ample data I will have no choice.
Message 19 of 31 (17,552 Views)

You say that the network in London is terrible while at the same time asking for unlimited data.

Where is Vodafone expected to get the profits to support a better network if they give their products away. Its simple economics.

You can't have your cake and eat it in afraid.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 20 of 31 (17,493 Views)