Support:

Pay monthly services

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
benphillips1

Virtual phone redirect - is it possible?

I've just relocated to Switzerland, and will be getting a new Swiss mobile number - but I want to keep my existing UK number as well.

I had considered moving the UK number to a standard PAYG contract, but then that still ties me to a second Phone + SIM card.

My new Swiss number is on a corporate tariff, and I won't be able to get a phone that supports two SIM cards (if such things are even still available).

Are there any 'virtual' services available that either (a) redirect all calls to my UK number on to my Swiss number, or (b) redirect all the UK calls to a voicemail service that I can pick up from a local Swiss number?

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Ben
Message 1 of 10 (3,638 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Jon_V

Hi Ben,

Switching to Pay-as-you-Go is the best option for keeping your number. You'll also be pleased to know that you can set a permanent divert to your Swiss number from your UK number.

To set this up, using your UK SIM in a handset, dial the following code:

**21*#

Replace with your Swiss mobile number in international format - i.e. 00447123456789 would be a UK mobile number in international format.

This command sends an instructions to our network, telling it to automatically and unconditionally divert all calls to your chosen number. You will be charged for making an international call for the entire length of any calls that are diverted in this manner, so you will need to ensure the SIM has enough credit available to do this.

Jon

eForum Team
Want to give me some feedback? click here
Message 2 of 10 (3,638 Views)
benphillips1

Hi Jon - many thanks for your swift reply!

Does switching to PAYG with a redirect at the network level like you describe mean that the PAYG handset needs to be on? (i.e. is it possible to switch to PAYG, set up the redirect and then effectively discard the SIM and handset?)

I was really looking for a subscription service that would 'host' my UK number directly (so no need for SIM or handset), and allow slightly more functionality, for example:

i) redirect of all voice calls and sms/mms messages
ii) redirect of sms/mms messages, but voice calls go to Swiss voicemail
iii) simple automated message saying "please hang up and call Swiss number"
iv) automated message saying "you are about to be transferred to Swiss number and international charges apply"

Do you know if such services exist?

Kind regards,
Ben
Message 3 of 10 (3,638 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
aliby121

As far as i am aware you are unable to re-direct a pay as you go number to a different phone. You can on contract just not payg
Message 4 of 10 (3,638 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hey Guys,

Unfortunately this function is only available on a contract, the easiest way would be via a SIM only deal however this would mean a monthly cost involved.

James

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 5 of 10 (3,638 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster
netbangeruk

I've just relocated to Switzerland, and will be getting a new Swiss mobile number - but I want to keep my existing UK number as well.

I had considered moving the UK number to a standard PAYG contract, but then that still ties me to a second Phone + SIM card.

My new Swiss number is on a corporate tariff, and I won't be able to get a phone that supports two SIM cards (if such things are even still available).

Are there any 'virtual' services available that either (a) redirect all calls to my UK number on to my Swiss number, or (b) redirect all the UK calls to a voicemail service that I can pick up from a local Swiss number?

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Ben

I don't know whether you can port mobile numbers to VoIP in the UK, but that would be the ideal solution by the sounds of it. Although no solution is going to be cost free. A company called aql deal with Vodafone mobiles and VoIP (I've been using their VoIP for years). Maybe you could give them a bell and ask them for advice. They are very helpful.
It's Me!
Message 6 of 10 (3,638 Views)
benphillips1

Thanks to everyone for their responses, much appreciated.

Does seem to be a little conflicting advice, however. Currently two against one in that you cannot use a UK PAYG SIM to divert calls to a international number.

- would you agree with and in this instance, that I would need a contract with monthly payment?

As regards a true 'virtual' phone redirect however, I can't believe I'm alone in requesting such functionality. Seems awfully backward to have to buy a SIM, put it in a phone and manually program a basic call forwarding function.

- thanks for the suggestion re. AQL - I've left several messages over the past few weeks but they have not replied.

If there really is no intelligent service available for:

i) redirect of all voice calls and sms/mms messages
ii) redirect of sms/mms messages, but voice calls go to Swiss voicemail

- does anyone know options as regards:

iii) simple automated message saying "please hang up and call Swiss number"
iv) automated message saying "you are about to be transferred to Swiss number and international charges apply"

Ben
Message 7 of 10 (3,638 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
George

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your reply. I can confirm that it's not possible to divert calls from a PAYG number to any other number other than the voicemail box for that number.

In regards to the services you're looking for, we don't provide the ability to re-direct SMS/MMS at all. It is possible to re-direct voice calls to a Swiss number using the code that Jon stated above, however this is only available on Contract.

The only way that you'd be able to setup a message that advises to hang up and call the Swiss number would be to setup an unconditional divert to your voicemail and then change the personal greeting. The divert can be setup by calling 1212, however callers would still be able to leave you a voicemail as well. There isn't a service that we provide that would leave an automated message advising that you're about to be transferred and that international charges apply either.

Some of these services may be provided by third party companies, however I'm not aware of any. Maybe one of our forum users knows of one?

George
eForum Team
Message 8 of 10 (3,638 Views)
benphillips1

George_Vodafone - many thanks for clarifying, much appreciated.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any information regarding virtual redirects for UK mobile numbers. I'm speculating that either the services just aren't there, or it's only cost-effective for the third parties to deal in bulk with business contracts.

I'm not sure I can really justify a monthly fee for a manual voice-only redirect service, especially with the addition of international dialling costs for the duration of any call or message. So I think I'll probably end up switching to PAYG, and just effectively use the SIM to 'reserve' my UK number until I return to the UK.

The help pages state:

Pay as you go
Sorry, if you are buying a pay as you go phone then you can not yet transfer your number online, but, once you have your new phone, simply call 191 to arrange the transfer.

On this, I had some questions:

1) I simply can't spend any more of my time waiting because 'call volumes are unusually high', to deal with a call center drone who blindly reads a script and then accidentally disconnects me! Is there some legal issue with switching to PAYG online, or is it just a business decision by Vodafone?

2) If I have to buy a PAYG SIM (with an entirely new UK number) first, is there some technical reason why the transfer can be arranged only from that new phone, or is the 191 just a shortcut to a number than can be dialled directly from any phone?

3) Once my number is transferred across to PAYG, if that SIM is just kept in a drawer and not used - is there a time limit whereby the operator is able to reclaim the number due to inactivity, or is the number reserved in perpetuity?

Many thanks,
Ben
Message 9 of 10 (3,638 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Trev

Hi Ben

To answer your questions:

1. PAYT number s are transferred from SIM to SIM not activated on a blank SIM as on a contract. For this reason you need to have both numbers activated before this can be done. Hence not able to do this online.

2. Same as above. Before it can happen both numbers have to active and registered in the same name.

3. You need to make a regular chargeable call to keep the number active.
If you do not use the number for 170 days, the number is disconnected but can be reconnected by either making a top up or a call. If the number is not used for 270 days, you will lose the number and any remaining credit.

I trust this answers your queries fully.

Regards

Trev
eForum Team
Message 10 of 10 (3,638 Views)